Coronavirus - Part Two.

8 hours ago, petemcewan said:

(it's a bit of a read)

Age range 18yrs to 94yrs . It works across that age range.

Note: Just because there was less than 10% of the volunteers over 70. Doesn't  mean it doesn't work for the over 70s.

I'm over 70 and I've had the Pfizer. I don't intend to get Cov-19.

But if I am unfortunate and catch it. I have every confidence,that it better damn well work for me.

I am aware of the range, but COVID affects differnt ages differently, so too will the vaccine. Are they keeping it secret?

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

We've passed the landmark of 100,000 deaths.

And many of their friends and relatives have not even had the chance to follow the comforting rituals that help with them with mourning their loss.

Can we just take a moment to keep them in thoughts and prayers, and send them our love. 

For them, this is not a political abstract, it is very real and very raw. And very, very sad.

Well said, everyone should stop and take a

moment to think of those lost.

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

We've passed the landmark of 100,000 deaths.

And many of their friends and relatives have not even had the chance to follow the comforting rituals that help with them with mourning their loss.

Can we just take a moment to keep them in thoughts and prayers, and send them our love. 

For them, this is not a political abstract, it is very real and very raw. And very, very sad.

Well said, Anna. It's a sobering milestone.

And we have to recognise that this is but a waypoint, we haven't got to the end of the road.  Who knows what the final total will be, given that there will be a long 'tail' to this pandemic. 

Quite what "we" do when it is over is a poser. No point having an Enquiry or a Commission  as it will only tell us what we already know.  And it would occupy Lord Bumble and all the lawyers for years. Indeed it may only point to what we should have done, based on 20:20 hindsight.  We have had a dreadful tangle of medical science, economics, and politics  in the face of an invisible - ever changing - enemy.  We enduring a most harrowing time. 

Tim.

El Cid,

No there are not hiding it. Why would they want to hide it ?

See Table 2 page 7. The effectiveness of the vaccine across age groups  looks good to me.

What  is it you want to that cannot be determined from the Efficacy results ?

How many neutralising antibodies /T cells  does an eighty  year old produces compared to a thirty year old ?

Does a  seventy year old suffer  more side effects than a twenty year old ?

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/product-information/covid-19-vaccine-moderna-epar-product-information_en.pdf

Edited by petemcewan

Several vaccines against coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) are on the cusp of regulatory approval.

Their safety and efficacy in older people is critical to their success. Older people with co-morbidities and frailty have once again been largely excluded from the vaccine trails and there are no published data on safety and efficacy in this group.

Data from several Phase II trials have given cause for optimism, with strong antibody responses and reassuring safety profiles but, with the exception of AstraZeneca’s vaccine, recruited few older people.

https://academic.oup.com/ageing/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ageing/afaa274/6016483

13 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

El Cid,

No there are not hiding it. Why would they want to hide it ?

See Table 2 page 7. The effectiveness of the vaccine across age groups  looks good to me.

What  is it you want to that cannot be determined from the Efficacy results ?

How many neutralising antibodies /T cells  does an eighty  year old produces compared to a thirty year old ?

Does a  seventy year old suffer  more side effects than a twenty year old ?

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/product-information/covid-19-vaccine-moderna-epar-product-information_en.pdf

As of January 17, 2021, there were 29,927,859 confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) across the whole of Europe since the first confirmed case on January 25. Montenegro has the highest incidence of coronavirus cases among its population in Europe at 8,919 per 100,000 people, followed by a rate of 8,374 in Czechia.

When the test were carried out, COVID was less common. Out of 630 people how many would you expect to get COVID?

The testing of the vaccine was rushed.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1110187/coronavirus-incidence-europe-by-country/

The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine may be authorised only for younger people in Europe, because there is insufficient data on how well it works in the over-65s, the head of the regulatory body has suggested.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/26/astrazeneca-vaccine-may-not-be-given-to-older-people-says-eu-medicines-chief?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0uJFqS3I41UUMcaGQFT4lgY0m1ihSCRlYWi_qG5OUkkoKhaH5y4mQnGOY#Echobox=1611735089

Edited by El Cid

Why has the U.K got one of the highest death tolls of Coronavirus in the world?

22 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Depends how the rest of the world are recording their death statistics, what variables are being applied, what time frames, what caveats need to be considered.....

I don't take big scary numbers at face value without full context and full disclosure.

The death numbers are of course shocking and it is a tragedy for anyone to have to suffer as a result of this disease.

But 100,000 people passing away for potentially a multitude of reasons but who also coincidentally had a positive test to coronavirus up to 28 days prior is very different to simply spouting the phrase "...100,000 people have died of the virus..."

The media, twitterati the Talking Heads blowing their hot air and doing the finger pointing need to be very aware of that simple caveat.  

If they want to be doing the the comparison leagues and looking for the blame game then they need to be sure that the statistics are coming from a level playing field.

Edited by ECCOnoob

19 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I’ve been lucky enough to travel widely and like America we seem to produce obese people in large numbers. Europe don’t seem far behind. We also have a sizable ethnic population who are it appears more susceptible to the virus. And while most people are obeying measures to combat the spread we still have a sizable number who are not.

27 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Depends how the rest of the world are recording their death statistics, what variables are being applied, what time frames, what caveats need to be considered.....

I don't take big scary numbers at face value without full context and full disclosure.

The death numbers are of course shocking and it is a tragedy for anyone to have to suffer as a result of this disease.

But 100,000 people passing away for potentially a multitude of reasons but who also coincidentally had a positive test to coronavirus up to 28 days prior is very different to simply spouting the phrase "...100,000 people have died of the virus..."

The media, twitterati the Talking Heads blowing their hot air and doing the finger pointing need to be very aware of that simple caveat.  

If they want to be doing the the comparison leagues and looking for the blame game then they need to be sure that the statistics are coming from a level playing field.

Send that through to Boris, it will be good for him to hear he's still blameless.

Send a comb too.

12 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

I’ve been lucky enough to travel widely and like America we seem to produce obese people in large numbers. Europe don’t seem far behind. We also have a sizable ethnic population who are it appears more susceptible to the virus. And while most people are obeying measures to combat the spread we still have a sizable number who are not.

Italians have an older population, French has many ethnic minorities. As far population density goes we are, I believe, 32nd. It isn't good enough.

Edited by tinfoilhat

41 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I was going by the figures that the Prime Minister spoke about in his address broadcast yesterday.

I wonder if members of the Government aren't aware that those 100,000 people testing positive for coronavirus could have died from something other than Coronavirus. I'm sure that if they were aware they would be saying so very explicitly.

Edited by Mister M