Coronavirus - Part Two.

14 hours ago, Anna B said:

Can someone tell me what the position is after both doses of the vaccine (and the 2 week build up of antibodies? )

Can you return to work? 

Can you mix with other people who have also had the jab?

Can you mix with other people who haven't had the jab like grandchildren?

Think you've had the answers to these from a post earlier, but there's something that many people seem to be turning a blind eye to...and it was confirmed by Sir Patrick Vallance a few days ago.

The virus is here to stay.

We might control it in the future, but all the original (mainly political) rhetoric about "defeating/killing" covid was just that - rhetoric.

Covid-19 is with us, and we'll have to live with it.

On 24/01/2021 at 19:31, El Cid said:

Wi-fi can go through walls, but I understand bluetooth not so much, perhaps if you both go out of the front door at the same time, to go shopping or walk the dog.

Then Chineese whispers or fake news turns it into bluetooth through solid walls.

Is it a Chinese whisper if it is the direct experience of a friend?

54 minutes ago, Becky B said:

Is it a Chinese whisper if it is the direct experience of a friend?

That doesn't count "it's anecdotal".  😁😁😁😁

Obviously for £22bn you'd expect stuff like that to be ironed out.

A new study by Moderna and the Vaccine Research Center at the NIAID has found that its vaccine is effective against the new virus variants,  that are found in Britain and South Africa.

The British variant had no effect on antibody levels,  the South African mutation did, but antibody levels were still high enough to give protection.

Moderna is developing a version of the vaccine aimed at the South African variant that can also be used as a booster shot a year after people receive their two doses.

All they have to do is get their finger out and meet their promised vaccine targets.

I hope the Pfizer  vaccine does the same-and they meet their promised vaccine targets;and stop dicking about with their production facilities.

Get your vaccination and stay well you all.

Edited by nikki-red

21 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I noticed the Dutch are getting a bit hot and bothered about lockdowns.

BBC News - Covid: Dutch curfew riots rage for third night
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55799919

Well they're not playing to the laid back Dutch stereotype are they? 

I wonder if the top scientists have actually thought of try to stop the spread of COVID by burning cars? 

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Well they're not playing to the laid back Dutch stereotype are they? 

I wonder if the top scientists have actually thought of try to stop the spread of COVID by burning cars? 

Doesn't work anyway.

Some tried it with dozens of cars down Cat Lane woods in Heeley years ago.

Pretty far-sighted, I suppose, to try and stem a virus way ahead of the game.

Another first for good ol' Blighty!

Things we have to do to avoid a future  of one pandemic after another.A tactic of rioting and looting isn't going to cut the mustard.

It is going to take a pretty clued in young generation to bring it about.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/to-prevent-the-next-pandemic-end-unequal-access-to-natural-resources/

9 hours ago, petemcewan said:

A new study by Moderna and the Vaccine Research Center at the NIAID has found that its vaccine is effective against the new virus variants,  that are found in Britain and South Africa.

How well does it protect each age group. Less than 10% of the volunteers that tested the vaccine were over 70, yet the average age of those killed by COVID is 82

https://www.ft.com/content/879f2a2b-e366-47ac-b67a-8d1326d40b5e

El Cid.

See the, "Therapeutic Indication ".

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/medicines/human/EPAR/covid-19-vaccine-moderna

(it's a bit of a read)

Efficacy was calculated in around 28,000 people from 18 to 94 years of age who had no sign of previous infection. The trial showed a 94.1% reduction in the number of symptomatic COVID-19 cases in the people who received the vaccine (11 out of 14,134 vaccinated people got COVID-19 with symptoms) compared with people who received dummy injections (185 out of 14,073 people who received dummy injections got COVID-19 with symptoms). This means that the vaccine demonstrated a 94.1% efficacy in the trial. The trial also showed 90.9% efficacy in participants at risk of severe COVID-19, including those with chronic lung disease, heart disease, obesity, liver disease, diabetes or HIV infection.

Age range 18yrs to 94yrs . It works across that age range.

Note: Just because there was less than 10% of the volunteers over 70. Doesn't  mean it doesn't work for the over 70s.

I'm over 70 and I've had the Pfizer. I don't intend to get Cov-19.

But if I am unfortunate and catch it. I have every confidence,that it better damn well work for me.

Edited by petemcewan

We've passed the landmark of 100,000 deaths.

And many of their friends and relatives have not even had the chance to follow the comforting rituals that help with them with mourning their loss.

Can we just take a moment to keep them in thoughts and prayers, and send them our love. 

For them, this is not a political abstract, it is very real and very raw. And very, very sad.

Anna B,

I share your sentiments.Everyday I say a prayer  for humanity's deliverance from this pestilence.