Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

It is not compulsory for shop workers to wear face coverings.

My son is at Uni but also works at Morrisons. Anyone behind a counter or a screen doesn’t have to wear one but staff on the shop floor do.

28 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

My son is at Uni but also works at Morrisons. Anyone behind a counter or a screen doesn’t have to wear one but staff on the shop floor do.

A lot depends on the store as some stores are not making it compulsory for staff to wear one but are giving them the option if they want to.

50 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Morrisons may be breaking the law then, as it is not compulsory for shop workers to wear masks.

1 minute ago, onewheeldave said:

Morrisons may be breaking the law then, as it is not compulsory for shop workers to wear masks.

It isn’t compulsory to wear a Morrison’s uniform either. Unless you are working there.

Businesses are free to serve and allow on their premises who they like (subject to anti-discriminatory laws etc).  The police can't be expected to patrol shops arresting non-wearers of masks.  Most people will probably wear them, for whatever reasoning.

40 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

It isn’t compulsory to wear a Morrison’s uniform either. Unless you are working there.

Masks aren't uniforms. 

52 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

whys it breaking the law? you can still wear one if you wish

I'm not sure about all this talk about the law.  Perhaps we ought to look at it from the point of view of Company Policy.  If a company decides it wants all its workers to wear a uniform, surely it can - it is a sensible request under their terms of employment.  If they also say that, especially in this crisis, a mask is part of that uniform, then that too seems fair and reasonable.  Logically, therefore,  it could even discipline staff if it chose to for not adhering to that policy.

14 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I'm not sure about all this talk about the law.  Perhaps we ought to look at it from the point of view of Company Policy.  If a company decides it wants all its workers to wear a uniform, surely it can - it is a sensible request under their terms of employment.  If they also say that, especially in this crisis, a mask is part of that uniform, then that too seems fair and reasonable.  Logically, therefore,  it could even discipline staff if it chose to for not adhering to that policy.

Concur - it's about terms and conditions of service.

1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

Masks aren't uniforms. 

Why not?

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Yes the big stores are apparently temperature checking their staff every morning.  If anyone's running a high temperature, they're supposed to go home. 

We're temp checked at work everyday and I am surprised it is not mandatory in the work place. We would then have to self isolate and be tested as to company policy. Even if it only picked up a small amount of infections, it's a small amount of infections less out there spreading it. 

Regarding the police not really deciding to get involved in enforcement of face coverings, only attendeding any incident if things turn a bit nasty with such as threats made to shop staff? 

Saw both a spokesman for SY Police & Dr Alan Billings, SY Police Commissioner on tv yesterday, confirming as much as it wouldn't be feasible to have police officers outside every store as they are busy doing other police work? 

One question?  What happened to the PCSO's that were regularly seen patrolling places such as The Moor, pre-lockdown?   

Surely you don't need that many PCSO's. or even that many proper police officers to be closely on hand to help?  A couple sited in the middle of The Moor between Sainsbury's & The Moor Market might help 'encourage' the stubborn shoppers, (the urban warriors, fighting back against 'The Man'; fighting to protect our democratic freedom by refusing to wear a covering - or as I call them, the selfish & stupid), to wear a covering? 

Edited by Baron99