Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Coronavirus - Part Two.

Recommended Posts

On 16/01/2021 at 21:43, Longcol said:

Other alternatives are available;

 

For example workplace infections are soaring.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/16/bosses-accused-putting-workers-lives-risk-bending-lockdown-trading-rules

 

 

Likely that the current wave is due to more than one factor.

Yeah i read about it yesterday but on this link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55695185

 

this bit stuck out to me



Of 1,172 UK workers surveyed, four in 10 said they had worked within 10 days of a positive result.

More than 10% of respondents also said they had been ordered on-site when they could have "easily" and "safely" worked from home.

 

In fact mi mum phoned today and mentioned a cousin who works in a drs surgery in handsworth was told by a senior receptionist to come into work even though she was feeling "under the weather", she did as she was told, 2 days later she tested positive for covid and now 6 people are self isolating...madness...and wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/01/2021 at 14:26, Pkingy said:

Was talking to my dentist yesterday and he said he couldn't understand why dentists hadn't been asked to get involved in the vaccine roll out. Seems a good idea to me most people have a dentist local to them.

 

I’m surprised by that. From the communications from my dentist I understand they have a huge backlog of patients to see.  I think I would prefer dentists to concentrate on using their specialist skills to help people with dental problems and there are enough alternatives for vaccinations elsewhere.

Edited by redruby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, redruby said:

I’m surprised by that. From the communications from my dentist I understand they have a huge backlog of patients to see.  I think I would prefer dentists to concentrate on using their specialist skills to help people with dental problems and there are enough alternatives for vaccinations elsewhere.

perhaps they could inject the vaccine into a gum along with the anasthetic when they drill you teeth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few things of concern me:

Vaccination rates reduced over last couple of days, supply or distribution? 

The government can claim target success in ‘offering’ the vaccine to the priority groups if they, pre mid February, give appointments in March/April 

Why does my latest ‘Shielding’ letter state that even after receiving both vaccine doses I should continue to shield until further notice?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, catmiss said:

Why does my latest ‘Shielding’ letter state that even after receiving both vaccine doses I should continue to shield until further notice?

 

Vaccines will not provide 100% immunity and, in any case, immunity does not reach effective levels until a couple of weeks after the second injection.

Efficacy against new variants are also unknown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, catmiss said:

A few things of concern me:

Vaccination rates reduced over last couple of days, supply or distribution? 

The government can claim target success in ‘offering’ the vaccine to the priority groups if they, pre mid February, give appointments in March/April 

Why does my latest ‘Shielding’ letter state that even after receiving both vaccine doses I should continue to shield until further notice?

 

Vallance has already been quoted as stating that the 89% efficacy they claimed with one dose is not correct and that in fact we now know it will be lower (but not as low as 33% quoted in the Israeli study - that study has mostly used elderly patients and its well known the vaccine won't work as well for them).

 

I still think it was a mistake to ignore Pfizer's advice on two doses. The above suggests a big "we don't actually know", just as Pfizer told them a month ago when they revealed this strategy. We will just have to hope these vaccinations were not in vain and we have to start again.

Edited by nightrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, nightrider said:

 

I still think it was a mistake to ignore Pfizer's advice on two doses. The above suggests a big "we don't actually know", just as Pfizer told them a month ago when they revealed this strategy. We will just have to hope these vaccinations were not in vain and we have to start again.

as long as the second dose is administered within the correct window for the second dose then everything will be fine, and even with a first dose there will be a degree of immunity which can only help. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

as long as the second dose is administered within the correct window for the second dose then everything will be fine, and even with a first dose there will be a degree of immunity which can only help. 

 

 

It won't be though. That was the whole point of the governments policy - use a 12 week window instead of a 3 week window. The latter is the recommendation from both Pfizer and WHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nightrider said:

It won't be though. That was the whole point of the governments policy - use a 12 week window instead of a 3 week window. The latter is the recommendation from both Pfizer and WHO.

Exactly - we can't trust the Government on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get ready for this kind of reporting. Conflating vaccination with mortality and morbidity.

 

 Now,and in the not too distant future-vaccination supplies permitting -very, very large populations will be vaccinated. The upshot means that we are going to see the usual run of mortality and morbidity that occurs across  large samples.

 

 For instance,if you take 10 million  people and just pretend to give them a vaccination (a thought experiment).

In the next couple of months you would expect to see about: 4,000 heart attacks, 4,000 strokes, 9,000 new diagnoses of cancer. About 14,000 of that 10 million will die, out of usual all-causes mortality. 

That’s how many people die and get sick anyway. I'm anticipating a media campaign that tries to persuade me that there's a connection between all that mortality/morbidity and  Cov-19 vaccination.

 

 

I want my second vaccination -and  damn quick.

Edited by petemcewan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with you petemcewan in anticipating a media campaign (or rather a change in emphasis on the long running media campaign for vaccination), but I think it will be aimed at those saying they won't be vaccinated.

 

If you remember the surveys on who would accept vaccination, around 67% said they would, and 21% said they would not,

 

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/articles-reports/2020/11/16/how-many-britons-are-willing-take-coronavirus-vacc

 

but when split by age-group, the younger the group the less likely to accept it.  I've heard very little about the over 80's who have refused it, apart from a post on SF about a group not accepting it as they wanted the "English one".  The impression we are being given is that everybody wants their jabs.

 

Instead of a mature policy of allowing choice on the matter, I expect further pressure to be put on anyone not wanting a jab. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.