Coronavirus - Part Two.

13 minutes ago, West 77 said:

They can hardly be responsible for someone / group who already had keys for the premises for breaking the law unknown to them.

We know that the school leased out the hall. They have a responsibility on Health and Safety grounds to know what it is being used for and by how many. Especially as the school hall is used as a local Coronavirus testing site!!!

If the organisers lied to the school, then in my opinion that's not the schools fault. But as I'm not lawyer I don't know where  the school stand legally.

Edited by Mister M

18 minutes ago, West 77 said:

They can hardly be responsible for someone / group who already had keys for the premises for breaking the law unknown to them.

In my experience people who can afford a wedding for 600, rarely have the reception in a school hall.

Nor would a school be unaware of it if it was. What about all the preparations? 

Something fishy going on. Or am I missing something?

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

In my experience people who can afford a wedding for 600, rarely have the reception in a school hall.

You can hire out Harrow school hall if you like.

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The police have now said that the number of guests at the wedding were 150:

"Police broke up a wedding party in north London, where they now say about 150 people had gathered."

Covid: Wedding party in Stamford Hill broken up by police - BBC News

32 minutes ago, Mister M said:

It's interesting that the school say they 'leased' the hall out. 

Surely they have some responsibility to find out what it is being leased out for???

Not really, sometimes they'd be presented with a list of dos and don'ts but in many cases you're given a key and told to return it the next day. If any staff from the venue were there - which you'd expect at a  venue from that size  - that should have been shut down before the guests turned up.

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

The police have now said that the number of guests at the wedding were 150:

"Police broke up a wedding party in north London, where they now say about 150 people had gathered."

Covid: Wedding party in Stamford Hill broken up by police - BBC News

its all a big distraction. We aren't getting 30k a day infections from house parties, we're getting them from people with symptoms dropping kids of at school and going to work when they're really not essential.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

1300 plus a day for the past few days isn't enough?

I'm sure you already know but I was talking about the difference in numbers. A 30% rise must sound huge to you, but that's down to the use of percentages, but when put into perspective it means that an extra 3 in 1000 cases, up from an average of 10 in 1000 to 13 in 1000. And that of course is just a maybe.

From the BBC:

"For example, with 1,000 60-year-olds infected with the old variant, 10 of them might be expected to die. But this rises to around 13 with the new variant.

This difference is found when looking at everyone testing positive for Covid, but analysing only hospital data has found no increase in the death rate."

So we have mixed messages, first stating only that there may be an increase in deaths and then we have the bit in bold in the quote which says otherwise. so which is it?

2 hours ago, apelike said:

I'm sure you already know but I was talking about the difference in numbers. A 30% rise must sound huge to you, but that's down to the use of percentages, but when put into perspective it means that an extra 3 in 1000 cases, up from an average of 10 in 1000 to 13 in 1000. And that of course is just a maybe.

From the BBC:

"For example, with 1,000 60-year-olds infected with the old variant, 10 of them might be expected to die. But this rises to around 13 with the new variant.

This difference is found when looking at everyone testing positive for Covid, but analysing only hospital data has found no increase in the death rate."

So we have mixed messages, first stating only that there may be an increase in deaths and then we have the bit in bold in the quote which says otherwise. so which is it?

same as the R rate etc, one minute i seem to read that the cases are slowing, then on the other hand i also read that scientists are worried the lockdown isnt strict enough to bring down cases....hmmmm

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

same as the R rate etc, one minute i seem to read that the cases are slowing, then on the other hand i also read that scientists are worried the lockdown isnt strict enough to bring down cases....hmmmm

the R rate isn't the same across the uk, in some places it might be below 1 in others it it above it. 

6 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

the R rate isn't the same across the uk, in some places it might be below 1 in others it it above it. 

Indeed. I know its not the R rate but I read that Knowsley is running about 1200 per 100k which seems huge.

5 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Not really, sometimes they'd be presented with a list of dos and don'ts but in many cases you're given a key and told to return it the next day. If any staff from the venue were there - which you'd expect at a  venue from that size  - that should have been shut down before the guests turned up.

Reports say that the school had employed a separate company to manage the hall bookings. Accepting or not cancelling the booking during lockdown and covering windows shows a deliberate flouting of the rules but the wedding hosts and guests are equally responsible as they must  have also been aware of the restrictions.