Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Coronavirus - Part Two.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

There’s bound to be a black market for the vaccine, just as there was for penicillin during the war. 

Yes,  and that is why it should be called out and those responsible named and shamed to keep it as minimal as possible.

Edited by redruby

7 minutes ago, DUFFEMS said:

Well, I can only assume that my mother's GP is not one of the best for communication nor looking after their older patients.

I finally got through on the phone to speak to a receptionist on Thursday, they said that they don't know when and if they're getting the vaccine and she couldn't offer any suggestions as to "who I should contact" with regard to my mother.

My mother lives in Killamarsh which is densely populated with "older" people.

Duffems

Without going into whether this right or wrong, I thought people were supposed to wait for their gp to contact them about the vaccine not the other way around? 

29 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

which is likely to include counterfeight vaccines too

Let’s hope so.

8 hours ago, DUFFEMS said:

Well, I can only assume that my mother's GP is not one of the best for communication nor looking after their older patients.

I finally got through on the phone to speak to a receptionist on Thursday, they said that they don't know when and if they're getting the vaccine and she couldn't offer any suggestions as to "who I should contact" with regard to my mother.

Duffems

Dunno if you're aware but there's a global pandemic, so your local GP is probably a bit busy dealing with that rather than people ringing up asking questions.

19 hours ago, andyofborg said:

there is only one flu jab per year so everyone knows what you had, there are several covid vaccines. 

if knowing which one you had ever becomes important in situations where you full nhs record is not available then you know. 

According to the NHS website there are several types of injected flu vaccine used each year.

8 hours ago, DUFFEMS said:

Duffems

I got my letter from NHS to make an appointment for vaccination this wasn't at my own GP's surgery  so unsure if all GP's are vaccinating or if you are allocated a GP hub as \i was.

1 hour ago, kay1 said:

I got my letter from NHS to make an appointment for vaccination this wasn't at my own GP's surgery  so unsure if all GP's are vaccinating or if you are allocated a GP hub as \i was.

My 95 year old relative has just successfully had his second injection, but I was surprised it wasn't at his regular GP's. However it was one of the Pfizer jabs (which have to be kept below -70) so maybe those are more problematic.

But I don't think all doctor's surgeries are involved, but you are guaranteed an injection within 10 miles of your home.   

My sister is going away for 6 weeks in April.  What will happen if she should test positive for covid before she flies back home?

Where would she stay, who would pay for the extra stay? Who is going to allow a person who has tested  positive to stay at their hotel/country etc  because they won't be allowed to come home?

Who would pay for the flight home when given the all clear? 

Cheers guys 

19 minutes ago, Jason302 said:

My sister is going away for 6 weeks in April.  What will happen if she should test positive for covid before she flies back home?

Where would she stay, who would pay for the extra stay? Who is going to allow a person who has tested  positive to stay at their hotel/country etc  because they won't be allowed to come home?

Cheers guys 

Shouldn't she be asking these questions of the authorities at her destination?

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

My 95 year old relative has just successfully had his second injection, but I was surprised it wasn't at his regular GP's. However it was one of the Pfizer jabs (which have to be kept below -70) so maybe those are more problematic.

But I don't think all doctor's surgeries are involved, but you are guaranteed an injection within 10 miles of your home.   

It seems to be very patchy. I have a friend who is also 95. She hasn’t even been notified of her first injection yet. She lives in her own home in Rotherham.

2 hours ago, Jason302 said:

Cheers guys 

Depending on the country, the country themselves will stick you in a hotel for 14 days (Australia might for example). The rest you would need to find yourself I'd have thought. How desperately do they need to travel?

14 hours ago, DUFFEMS said:

Duffems

When I recently visited my GP on an unrelated matter she told me that several GP practices in my locality had joined together to staff a large medical centre in the area to   provide efficient maximum vaccination. She also explained that the priority cohorts from each practice had been co-ordinated and people would be offered appointments in turn. I think this seems to be the general approach so I think it’s a case of waiting for the call. 

There is growing concern that vaccination programmes will be disrupted by health workers off sick with covid or having to isolate.

The availability of vaccines is key in this pandemic but it still feels like some people are in la la land when it comes recognising the challenges ahead.  This lockdown is more relaxed than the March one and yet despite the vaccines starting to roll out we are in more critical situation than we were then.  I have seen big, not very well socially distanced, queues waiting for takeaways in my local area for example.  The amount of traffic yesterday was less than usual for a Saturday but not massively less and still quite busy.  I don’t think those were all essential journeys on a Saturday afternoon. The definition of critical worker has widened and as a result a more children can attend school and more people are travelling to work.  It will most likely draw the lockdown out longer and sadly more people will become victims of covid.