Coronavirus - Part Two.

36 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Today we've had the terrible news that not only have we hit 100,000 Coronavirus deaths in the UK, but we've also had the highest one-day number of UK deaths too, at 1564.

You'd expect the press to hold BoJo to account for this, instead of whether he is allowed to cycle seven miles or not.

Still, that's what the UK voted for.

No wonder the UK's in such a mess, eh folks?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/13/uk-coronavirus-deaths-pass-100000

UK coronavirus deaths pass 100,000 after 1,564 reported in one day

More than 100,000 people have died from coronavirus in the UK since the disease first appeared in the country almost a year ago, in what public health experts said is a sign of “phenomenal failure of policy and practice”.

On Wednesday the daily figure for recorded deaths was 1,564 – a new record high bringing the total to 101,160, according to analysis of figures from government and statistical agencies. The toll far exceeds some of the worst-case scenario estimates made during the first wave of the pandemic.

Personally I thought you wouldn't be that upset about this news. 

You were the one hoping for the deaths of older Brexit voters back in 2017 (consequences of Brexit thread part 4) with your post correctly deleted my moderators. 

So you might've got your wish given the large numbers and the number of Brexit voters.

Still..all Boris's fault...eh?

51 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

In other words, from your description, we're stuck with it.

Well, to some extent, until infection rates come down and the immunisation programme starts making an impact.

Until then we ought to be more aware of/realistic about where the real transmission risks are.

We've spent a long time obsessing about relatively inconsequential issues - how what counts as local exercise, whether or not you should be allowed to sit on a park bench.  Earlier on in the pandemic we put the majority of focus on handwashing and surface transmission.

Hopefully the message is finally getting through that the biggest risk is breathing the same air as an infected person, especially when you're in an enclosed, poorly ventilated space, even more so over a prolonged period.

4 minutes ago, Olive said:

Well, to some extent, until infection rates come down and the immunisation programme starts making an impact.

Until then we ought to be more aware of/realistic about where the real transmission risks are.

We've spent a long time obsessing about relatively inconsequential issues - how what counts as local exercise, whether or not you should be allowed to sit on a park bench.  Earlier on in the pandemic we put the majority of focus on handwashing and surface transmission.

Hopefully the message is finally getting through that the biggest risk is breathing the same air as an infected person, especially when you're in an enclosed, poorly ventilated space, even more so over a prolonged period.

You can only do what you can do. I did some work at my mum's house today. I wore a mask because the virus doesn't understand bubbles. I can't stop antimaskers doing what they do, I can't stop house parties, I can't hold the government to account for things I think they've failed on - not yet anyway. 

2 hours ago, Jim117 said:

My other half has just been given a letter by her employer stating that she’s a key worker in the event she is challenged by police. The letter ends by thanking her for continuing to come in to her Covid safe office. The office is an open plan call centre so no masks cos they wear headsets and are constantly on the phone. Windows are never allowed to be open for security reasons. Covid safe apparently means they’ve staggered the desks and instituted a one way system.

It's not very honest is it?  It's  clearly not possible to stop virus particles circulating in that situation, should someone be carrying the infection, and I'm sorry your partner and others have to deal with this situation day in, day out.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do think that claiming something is safe when it's simply impossible that it can be safe, is not getting us anywhere.

Edited by Olive

14 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Still..all Boris's fault...eh?

Last time I checked, BoJo was still in charge of the country.

7 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

You can only do what you can do. I did some work at my mum's house today. I wore a mask because the virus doesn't understand bubbles. I can't stop antimaskers doing what they do, I can't stop house parties, I can't hold the government to account for things I think they've failed on - not yet anyway. 

Yeah, just gotta get through it the best we can.

5 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Last time I checked, BoJo was still in charge of the country.

Ecconoob has summed that up for you a few posts back. 

42 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

"From" coronavirus is a strong choice of words by The Guardian there.

I'd like to see their detailed figures on that statement and find out exactly how those deaths are recorded. Even the daily briefings and the most anti-government television news sources are very careful with their wording of exactly how deaths have arisen and the range of nuiances of what exactly gets recorded.

There has already been plenty of criticism on the statistics bandied about and how easy it could be for someone to be knocked down by a bus who just coincidentally happens to have coronavirus to be included in the big scary death numbers.

Of course irrelevant to all that - to some people nothing will get to over the fact that "...everything's is all Boris' fault..." right?

He's in charge - more often than sailing against the scientific wind- so yeah, some of it is at his door.  He's giving billions to his mates - without any oversight - , letting other mates (dominic) do what  he likes and has a cabinet of people happy to flip, not on scientific or their own advisors but social media. And they're utterly corrupt when it comes to dishing out contracts during a pandemic. Theyre thick as a boxing day turd and think we are too. 

Have I missed anything?

11 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Ecconoob has summed that up for you a few posts back. 

He's wrong.

7 hours ago, Becky B said:

Care homes are already staffed.

Nightingale hospitals are (or would be) staffed from staff seconded from NHS hospitals.  You can't rob Peter to pay Paul, when the  hospitals are full already.

These elderly people don't get escalated to intensive care, so numbers of staff on ICU aren't relevant to them. 

Careworkers could be recruited and trained more quickly and easily so they wouldn't need seconded nurses from NHS hospitals. The Nightingale hospitals were intended as intensive care beds for patients but can't be used for lack of doctors and nurses, so they are standing empty. So why not use them for patients who are not 'ill' and just need convalescent care, tended for by careworkers, and free up hospital beds for those that need them. 

Edited by Anna B

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

He's in charge - more often than sailing against the scientific wind- so yeah, some of it is at his door.  He's giving billions to his mates - without any oversight - , letting other mates (dominic) do what  he likes and has a cabinet of people happy to flip, not on scientific or their own advisors but social media. And they're utterly corrupt when it comes to dishing out contracts during a pandemic. Theyre thick as a boxing day turd and think we are too. 

Have I missed anything?

He's wrong.

I agree. People seem to have very short memories. 

And according to Robert Peston, we now have the second highest death rate in the world. Boris is in charge no matter how often he tries to pass the responsibility onto the scientists, or any convenient body who wanders into the firing line. 

11 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

... thick as a boxing day turd ....

😁

Been reading your Shakespeare again?!

Almost as good as "sweating like a glassblower's arse..."

I went out for the first time in rush hour today after being at home for 10 months and in broom hill there were the usual queues of cars all the way down from crookes and in from Fullwood/ranmoor. Not much evidence of a lockdown.