Coronavirus - Part Two.

14 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

Not really, because when I went for my first vaccination I had to wait in the queue for 1 and a half hours. When I went for the second one I walked straight in. When I asked the nurse why there was no queue and she said people were not turning up. I asked her why they were not given to other people and she said that they had got to be referred by their doctors and apparently once the vaccines have been put into the syringes they go off after a few hours. which means if the people do not turn up the doses are discarded. 

Our doctors rang me the day before to ask if I was going.

Whilst people just not turning up is also stupid, it's not the same as people declining an appointment when they are told it's not the Oxford/AstraZeneca one. At least in the latter case they can arrange an appointment with someone else.

1 hour ago, redruby said:

Oh, that doesn’t bode well ☹️
On a slightly different note, I’ve been wondering if there’s been a bit of complacency since the vaccinations have started to roll out and maybe that’s contributed a bit to the increase in cases?

It’s just something I’ve noticed with some people, who perhaps haven’t fully appreciated the challenges of rolling the vaccinations out, particularly in light of the new variant (not to mention future variants for which the vaccine could be ineffective). 

Even before the PM told the nation about the new variant of Coronavirus in mid December, I'd noticed more complacency in some members of the public (at around the time when news of the discovery of the vaccine was announced). I really don't buy this idea that people have 'lockdown fatigue'. It might sound harsh, but I think those that claim they're '"bored", and "want life to return to normal" - should take a long look at themselves. And that's been polite!

Unfortunately the discovery of the new variant didn't prevent people behaving like idiots at train stations in London and the South East, videos of which have been widely shared on social media, desperate to ram themselves on trains to get to their relatives for Christmas. I just hope that said relatives aren't elderly or clinically vulnerable.

Rubbish. Where are you getting these fairytales ? My parents went for their second jab today and were told that everyone had turned up for their appointment.

Taken from the comments section after the article.

Edited by petemcewan

4 hours ago, Mister M said:

I'm not sure why.  There is plenty of uncertainty around the Pfizer vaccine, not least as the supposed time between jab1 and jab2 was meant to be a maximum of 3 weeks and the Government has changed that to 12 weeks, so more people could have the first jab.  Will the first jab cover the whole 12 week period?  Have tests been conducted that say it will? 

I can understand waiting for the "English one" as it has been approved, and many people were brought up on "British is Best", "Buy British" etc..

When the supply  (and Quality Control apparently) issues are resolved, more of the Oxford jab will be available - so perhaps people will have a choice which one they are offered?

1 minute ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I'm not sure why.  There is plenty of uncertainty around the Pfizer vaccine, not least as the supposed time between jab1 and jab2 was meant to be a maximum of 3 weeks and the Government has changed that to 12 weeks, so more people could have the first jab.  Will the first jab cover the whole 12 week period?  Have tests been conducted that say it will? 

I can understand waiting for the "English one" as it has been approved, and many people were brought up on "British is Best", "Buy British" etc..

When the supply  (and Quality Control apparently) issues are resolved, more of the Oxford jab will be available - so perhaps people will have a choice which one they are offered?

Yes but vaccines are developed by teams of scientists who are from many different nationalities.

These people in Stockton who turned their noses up at a 'foreign vaccine', and want a British vaccine should go to the back of the queue then.

14 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

They have been thoroughly misled, in that case.

4 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

(referring to the phrase many people were brought up on "British is Best", "Buy British" etc..)

They have been thoroughly misled, in that case.

perhaps so now, in many areas.  However, in the past we did have higher safety standards in place (kitemark etc) than many of our competitor countries (e.g. finding imported toys with high lead content).  I for one will be looking out for British chickens when the chlorinated US ones start coming in.

It's their body something is being injected into.  If they choose not to have the Pfizer one - it's their choice.  Had they been told it was Pfizer in the first place, the ones that turned it down wouldn't have made the journey, and others could have been invited there instead.

5 hours ago, Mister M said:

If true - then back of the queue for them I hope. Whilst I don't wish anyone any harm, if you had your chance for a vaccine and chose not to take it, possibly spoiling that vaccine for someone else then ok - wait until next year for yours, good luck.

Far too many other people waiting for it to indulge xenophobic boomers.

Edited by whiteowl
noticed it was the mail, so stuck an "if true" at the beginning.

2 hours ago, whiteowl said:

If true - then back of the queue for them I hope. Whilst I don't wish anyone any harm, if you had your chance for a vaccine and chose not to take it, possibly spoiling that vaccine for someone else then ok - wait until next year for yours, good luck.

Far too many other people waiting for it to indulge xenophobic boomers.

I’ve just received the standard ‘Shielding’ letter with all the usual advice above and beyond the  legislated rules but with the additional information that I will be offered vaccination by mid February although I’m only in my mid 60’s. As a non xenophobic boomer I don’t care if the vaccine comes from Timbuktu, if it’s been approved by British regulators I’ll have it wherever they want to put it! Most of the ‘boomers’ I’m in touch with feel the same so please don’t tar us  all with the same begrudging tone your post implies 

Edited by catmiss
Rewording

3 hours ago, Mister M said:

Even before the PM told the nation about the new variant of Coronavirus in mid December, I'd noticed more complacency in some members of the public (at around the time when news of the discovery of the vaccine was announced). I really don't buy this idea that people have 'lockdown fatigue'. It might sound harsh, but I think those that claim they're '"bored", and "want life to return to normal" - should take a long look at themselves. And that's been polite!

Unfortunately the discovery of the new variant didn't prevent people behaving like idiots at train stations in London and the South East, videos of which have been widely shared on social media, desperate to ram themselves on trains to get to their relatives for Christmas. I just hope that said relatives aren't elderly or clinically vulnerable.

The people cramming onto trains to get out of London before Christmas was so irresponsible. 

I think that complacency has crept in more subtle ways too. Some people are already anticipating things being ‘back to normal’ within a few months.  Hopefully that will be the case but we need to be realistic about challenges ahead and act accordingly. Even though we are supposedly in lockdown some people are being far more relaxed than in the first lockdown.

On a positive note I took both my parents to have the vaccine at the Mathews health centre yesterday, it was organised really well and 5 minutes from start to finish.

At 6,30pm they said they had done over 800 people and were open until 8pm.

It’s the Pfizer vaccine down there but I know Dore surgery started giving the Oxford jab yesterday.

I’m not sure how many other surgeries are being used, but with the hospital vaccination program and the care homes that have been done already we seem to have made a good start in Sheffield so we’ll done to all those involved in it and let’s hope it continues.

9 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

perhaps so now, in many areas.  However, in the past we did have higher safety standards in place (kitemark etc) than many of our competitor countries (e.g. finding imported toys with high lead content).  I for one will be looking out for British chickens when the chlorinated US ones start coming in.

It's their body something is being injected into.  If they choose not to have the Pfizer one - it's their choice.  Had they been told it was Pfizer in the first place, the ones that turned it down wouldn't have made the journey, and others could have been invited there instead.

I get the fact that it's their body, but do we need to add another load of admin to inform people which specific vaccine they are getting? Do they care who provides their yearly flu vaccine or where they mask they wear comes from?

Very little of what people consume is purely of UK origin and manufacture, including swathes of things we eat, drink or inject, so why the sudden patriotism from these refuseniks.

6 minutes ago, Westie1889 said:

On a positive note I took both my parents to have the vaccine at the Mathews health centre yesterday, it was organised really well and 5 minutes from start to finish.

At 6,30pm they said they had done over 800 people and were open until 8pm.

It’s the Pfizer vaccine down there but I know Dore surgery started giving the Oxford jab yesterday.

I’m not sure how many other surgeries are being used, but with the hospital vaccination program and the care homes that have been done already we seem to have made a good start in Sheffield so we’ll done to all those involved in it and let’s hope it continues.

The one on White Lane? Likely where my mum and dad will go for theirs, so good to hear it's up and running and working well.

Cheers Westie.

Edited by Bargepole23