Coronavirus - Part Two.

34 minutes ago, max said:

There's an online Vaccine queue calculator here: Calculator

Thanks Max, that makes it even easier :) 

Is any timing or date information available yet for these groups? Even indicative?

I have my mother in law with us here in Europe on a visit, who is turning 80 in a few weeks, and the intermixing of Brexit-related (max-) length of stay, and Covid-related logistics, are getting a tad complex!

20 minutes ago, L00b said:

Is any timing or date information available yet for these groups? Even indicative?

I have my mother in law with us here in Europe on a visit, who is turning 80 in a few weeks, and the intermixing of Brexit-related (max-) length of stay, and Covid-related logistics, are getting a tad complex!

I'm not sure how reliable it would be. If you look at UK government's promises on testing capacity and compare them to what actually happened then forecasting isn't helpful. My ancient parents are supposed to be getting theirs tomorrow, but they've already heard from friends in the same area that some have had to reschedule due to the vaccination centre running out of vaccine - this suggests supply line issues.

Thanks Delbow.

Any guideline timescale would be useful, as I cannot be sure that we'll be able to get her vaccinated here, and that information would help us weigh up whether to try and get her back to the UK ASAP, or keep her here a while longer...or even reg' her as an immigrant if if came to it.

She's a tourist with post-Brexit healthcare cover, but we cannot get any answer from her insurance about vaccination whilst over here, and that problem then lies within the context of the 90 days "clock" started on 1st Jan versus what the UK does/may do by end March in relation to travel/borders...and of course the local British consular services are proving -for now at least- as useful as t*ts on a bull.

Edited by L00b

So your mother in law is a UK national aged 80 but currently in the EU? If it helps, of my parents my mum is the youngest at age 85. She is due to have hers on the same day (tomorrow) as my dad who is 91. Dad has underlying heart condition which is well managed, otherwise healthy. Mum has high blood pressure. People of the same age in the neighbouring borough got theirs about 2 weeks earlier, so there is disparity between areas (possibly different CCGs)

Organgrinder,

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I put the Thread on to stimulate some discussion.

The quotes are from Nature,and the BMJ. .Both journals carry some weight in the field of medicine.

From my reading the "asymptomatic superspreader " seems to be more pseudo

science than a finding from well conducted epidemiology.

The following is what I've been able to  glean from all the reading I've been doing since  May 2020.

Infectiousness is highest within 5 day period immediately before and shortly after symptoms appear.

Anyway,not every transmission is synonymous with "superspread" and that term should be used cautiously.

It appears to me that in the field of  science reporting during this pandemic, there's a syndrome of “some data beats no data”.

During the early days of the pandemic there  has been a plethora of corona virus clinical reports /pre-print scientific papers. And those papers have been superseded by larger, more well-controlled ones . Some of those early observations have held up, and some of them haven’t.

So we need to vigilant in respect of the quality of the science that is being pushed our way.

I agree with you entirely that we should follow  the advice. But we should examine that advice to the best of our abilities. In the end-like you say,"opposing views".We have to make a choice on who to believe.

IMO there is every reason to think that the amount and length of time of virus shedding by asymptomatics will be reduced-if not-eliminated- through vaccination.

However,as I see it,most transmission is in the home, where staying home doesn't stop symptomatic transmission. So on it will go on-for awhile.

As far as having a sterilising vaccine. Well,the Oxford people claim that their vax will reduce asymptomatic virus shedding. So get that vax into bodies-and quick.

I'll finish by putting my mouth where the money is. The existence of the Asmptomatic Superpreader is a myth.

Could anyone enlighten me,  Is it still possible to go for a Chest Xray at the Hallamshire or possibly turned away till a later time which would be understanderble.  

34 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Could anyone enlighten me,  Is it still possible to go for a Chest Xray at the Hallamshire or possibly turned away till a later time which would be understanderble.  

The Hallamshire Hospital probably can.  They'd be the best to ask, you would think.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

7 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

The Hallamshire Hospital probably can.  They'd be the best to ask, you would think.

Cut out the sarcasm on my post.

2 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Cut out the sarcasm on my post.

Ok.  No, it's not possible to still get a chest X-ray at the Hallamshire.

Do you believe me?  

Better phone them and check.  It's the sensible thing to do.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

You would think that being in lockdown that the Government would be monitoring people coming into the UK. According to the link below, people spoken to by the newspaper who have arrived here have not had their temperature taken or  been quizzed about forms they had filled in.  Is it any wonder we are in such a mess.

Plane passengers from Covid-hit countries shocked at no UK virus test - 'it's a joke' - Mirror Online

14 minutes ago, iansheff said:

You would think that being in lockdown that the Government would be monitoring people coming into the UK. According to the link below, people spoken to by the newspaper who have arrived here have not had their temperature taken or  been quizzed about forms they had filled in.  Is it any wonder we are in such a mess.

Plane passengers from Covid-hit countries shocked at no UK virus test - 'it's a joke' - Mirror Online

Sounds to me like the passengers are saying, "this is a joke, we might have Covid!"  Errrr, yeah, so why did you fly then?

And is it essential for the Mirror to have it's hacks at the airport questioning people?

I'm also pretty sure that the UK is a Covid-hit country.

Edited by Arnold_Lane