Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Coronavirus - Part Two.

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Another  media campaign of frightening the B Jesus out of everybody.

 

 Variations happen all the time, this is nothing new.

New strains are tracked and vaccines can be updated -  especially mRNA vaccines.

As it goes, there is no need for mass panic about this particular variation.  

There is no evidence  that any Cov-19 therapeutics has given rise to the mutation.Fears have been expressed about the effectiveness of the current vaccines. Peddling the notion that they won't work is scaremongering.In addition, what's not helpful, is having one of the country's  most senior politicians,telling everybody we're put of control.

Get some giddy up in the vaccination programme.

 

 

 

 

 

not really, the 3rd line says it all, how could they be intentionally trying to frighten people when they say dont panic (nothing to be scared of) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went for my first Corona jab last night,and have the second one in Two weeks. The nurse who gave me the jab asked a series of questions first. One of them was : Do you take blood thinning drugs?  I don’t , but two of my friends do, so wondered if this barred you from having the vaccination?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

I do not think that some people realise the danger they are putting themselves and other people in. The other day at Gleadless Townend there were 5 women, I would say in their mid 50s/60s in a group about a foot away from each other and none of them were wearing masks. I do not care if they catch covid-19 but it is the poor souls that they could pass it on too.

I've been guilty of similar thoughts as well - "I don't care if they catch covid..." etc.

The woman on screen last night, who stated that we should stop exaggerating the virus, that it doesn't actually exist, and that none of her children will be vaccinated.

The moron the other night, who won't get vaccinated because of the "spy and control chips" contained within.

The woman who claimed that God won't let her catch anything, let alone covid.

These are the same people who might be in the NHS treatment queue in front of you.

It's wrong of me, but I fear I'm not alone.

I watched a "good news" snippet on (perhaps) Look North a couple of nights ago, showing a 104 year old lady getting her jab...and I couldn't help but feel "Why? What's the point?"

I opened my mouth to say something to Mrs.RR and got a "warning glance".

I know what was coming if I'd carried on - "Who are you to say....", etc.

And she's right, of course. It's a very slippery slope, to decide who "qualifies" and who doesn't. In fact, you only have to turn the clock back 90 years-or-so....

You're into territory where the question of whether a 25 year old is deemed "more valuable" than someone who's already lived a full life at 97? Or 84?

Perhaps it is human nature after all.

 

 

Edited by RiffRaff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

I've been guilty of similar thoughts as well - "I don't care if they catch covid..." etc.

The woman on screen last night, who stated that we should stop exaggerating the virus, that it doesn't actually exist, and that none of her children will be vaccinated.

The moron the other night, who won't get vaccinated because of the "spy and control chips" contained within.

The woman who claimed that God won't let her catch anything, let alone covid.

These are the same people who might be in the NHS treatment queue in front of you.

It's wrong of me, but I fear I'm not alone.

I watched a "good news" snippet on (perhaps) Look North a couple of nights ago, showing a 104 year old lady getting her jab...and I couldn't help but feel "Why? What's the point?"

I opened my mouth to say something to Mrs.RR and got a "warning glance".

I know what was coming if I'd carried on - "Who are you to say....", etc.

And she's right, of course. It's a very slippery slope, to decide who "qualifies" and who doesn't. In fact, you only have to turn the clock back 90 years-or-so....

You're into territory where the question of whether a 25 year old is deemed "more valuable" than someone who's already lived a full life at 97? Or 84?

Perhaps it is human nature after all.

 

 

Sadly, come January, medics will judging who is more valuable when it comes to dishing out ventilators. Wales haven't any spare now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Sadly, come January, medics will judging who is more valuable when it comes to dishing out ventilators. Wales haven't any spare now.

Perhaps we should be following expert medical advice?

The UK government has been forced into using more ‘blunt instruments’ such as the tier system of separating people because preventative measures such as test and trace were taken out of the NHS where the specialists are, Sir David King has said.

The chair of the Independent SAGE group spoke to Sky News about the latest measures, which will see Christmas ‘cancelled’ for large swathes of the country.

But according to Sir David, had other pre-emptive action been successful such measures may never had been needed.

 

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/sir-david-king-no-one-talks-about-test-and-trace-system-anymore/22/12/?fbclid=IwAR3_LMXwLhRj-6AEqWbIGU1cmOwIDXx9b_ZFV66QTvgQfm2YYyNhi2lp2AQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Perhaps we should be following expert medical advice?

The UK government has been forced into using more ‘blunt instruments’ such as the tier system of separating people because preventative measures such as test and trace were taken out of the NHS where the specialists are, Sir David King has said.

The chair of the Independent SAGE group spoke to Sky News about the latest measures, which will see Christmas ‘cancelled’ for large swathes of the country.

But according to Sir David, had other pre-emptive action been successful such measures may never had been needed.

 

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/sir-david-king-no-one-talks-about-test-and-trace-system-anymore/22/12/?fbclid=IwAR3_LMXwLhRj-6AEqWbIGU1cmOwIDXx9b_ZFV66QTvgQfm2YYyNhi2lp2AQ

indeed, for me the only thing the tories did right was the furlough scheme, everything else was either out and out inadequate such as being too late to implement everything, or cronyism of the worst, vilest way possible, giving billions of pounds to their mates for crap (whether its Track and trace systems or PPE that doesnt meet the standards)

Edited by melthebell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, melthebell said:

indeed, for me the only thing the tories did right was the furlough scheme.

In Germany and the United States furlough schemes have been used for decades in times of hardship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, El Cid said:

In Germany and the United States furlough schemes have been used for decades in times of hardship.

Have you any links on how people have been supported in the US? I've seen people have received $1200 since March and not much else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, El Cid said:

In Germany and the United States furlough schemes have been used for decades in times of hardship.

we have a dole system which works generally, this is the only time ive been worried about my income tbh, so.....fairplay, generally though on the governments actions / inactions a firm thumbs down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Have you any links on how people have been supported in the US? I've seen people have received $1200 since March and not much else.

The US is the only country not to have an explicit wage subsidy scheme in 2020.  It does, however, have other schemes that are designed to encourage businesses to continue employing their staff. These policies – which we describe in the table – are structured as business loans or tax credits, which provide incentives for businesses not to lay workers off.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/coronavirus-support-workers-comparison

 

In the United States, involuntary furloughs concerning federal government employees may be of a sudden and immediate nature. Such was the case in February 2010, when a single United States Senate objection prevented emergency funding measures from being implemented. As a result, 2,000 federal workers for the Department of Transportation were immediately furloughed as of March 1, 2010.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Have you any links on how people have been supported in the US? I've seen people have received $1200 since March and not much else.

A piece on the lunchtime news was looking at Covid in the US.

Apparently their need of foodbanks is now huge and growing to the extent they can't cope.

 

America has always been good at pushing the American dream and publicising the affluent results, but there is a huge underbelly of underprivileged in the USA that you don't ever hear much about.

 

They are there in large numbers, and about to come out of the woodwork.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Have you any links on how people have been supported in the US? I've seen people have received $1200 since March and not much else.

From: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/may/12/how-the-uk-furlough-scheme-compares-with-other-countries

 

US – Federal pandemic unemployment compensation program (FPUC)

How many workers affected? The FPUC is now supporting more than 30 million US workers.

How much does it cost? It is part of the US Congress $2.2tn Covid rescue program.

What does it pay? The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act has two payment elements. Firstly, it expands states’ ability to provide unemployment benefits, including for workers who are not ordinarily eligible, providing an additional $600 per week until 31 July.

Secondly, one-off cheques of $1,200 have also been sent by the government to all individual households who earn less than $75,000 a year. Couples who earn less than $150,000 have received $2,400, plus $500 for every child in their care. A reduced amount, on a sliding scale, was paid up to earnings of $99,000 for individuals and $198,000 for couples.

Will it need to be reformed? There is pressure to find a way to pay firms that hire back workers on part-time contracts, but is it unclear how that would work. Larry Kudlow, the director of the White House national Economic Council, said a fresh stimulus package would be considered at the end of May and early June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.