Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Coronavirus - Part Two.

5 hours ago, West 77 said:

You're exactly correct.  Arlene Foster the First Minister of Northern Ireland hit the nail on the head when she said there's been a

"failure of society as a whole". 

Starting at the top with inept leadership, mixed messages, eyesight tests............................................

33 minutes ago, El Cid said:

They over reacted when we had mad-cow disease too.

we still have mad cow disease, hence brexit

:evil:

35 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

We’ve finally lost total control over our borders.

But, we've got brexit - surely we were promised that would allow us to take back control.

I can't help feeling that good old whiplash Boris (the U-turn man) will somehow blame his in effectual leadership on someone else...

39 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I don't think I would've like to have been hand-bagged by Maggi Thatcher either.

Edited by Mister M

38 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I don’t think there was an over reaction then,and now these countries have taken the sort of action that many people believe that we should have taken in the early part of this year.

To be honest I don’t think that such actions will have a significant effect on a virus that seems very adept at spreading.

It gives us a little practice,prior to a No Deal Brexit in handling chaos on the roads and the ports as exports are affected and foreign freight owners  will be loathe to come to the U.K.with the probable delays.

As our daily infection rate is triple Frances, can't say thier reaction is surprising.

I wonder what our redtops would say if roles were reversed

2 hours ago, butlers said:

Flights now banned to

Germany 

Sweden

Switzerland

Kuwait

Italy

Dare say that list will grow by the hour

Pity train operators didn’t take the same action given the scenes at Paddington station when the only Saturday pm train to Leeds was packed. Operator announced social distancing not possible as train overcrowded, service terminated early so the exodus had to overcrowd another train. Obviously Whitty’s advice to unpack the travel bag went unheeded and the mutated virus encouraged to increase rates in the North aided and abetted by the counties’ homegrown idiots who are determined to have a ‘normal family Christmas’. January Lockdown aka tier 4 countrywide a certainty 

18 minutes ago, catmiss said:

Pity train operators didn’t take the same action given the scenes at Paddington station when the only Saturday pm train to Leeds was packed. Operator announced social distancing not possible as train overcrowded, service terminated early so the exodus had to overcrowd another train. Obviously Whitty’s advice to unpack the travel bag went unheeded and the mutated virus encouraged to increase rates in the North aided and abetted by the counties’ homegrown idiots who are determined to have a ‘normal family Christmas’. January Lockdown aka tier 4 countrywide a certainty 

Yeah, maybe the government should have anticipated this and quietly cancelled the trains and closed the roads to all but HGV’s before they announced the new tier. Instead they relied on the rudest, most selfish, pig ignorant city in the country to do the right thing. All the selfish people that packed themselves into Petri dish train carriages for a couple of hours before unleashing themselves like a pack of plague rats onto the rest of the country are a national disgrace. So sorry you didn’t want to sit with your toddler in your overpriced luxury shoebox for Christmas, sure the deceased citizens of Eyam would totally respect your entitlement.

8 hours ago, butlers said:

Flights now banned to

Germany 

Sweden

Switzerland

Kuwait

Italy

Dare say that list will grow by the hour

Well can you blame them? 

Especially with the new variant strain on the rise with very little information about whether current vaccines are effective against it & mainland Europe, predominantly the EU countries, yet to start their vaccination programmes. The last thing they want are two strains of COVID running rife, although the new variant is already in the Netherlands. 

It's a pity that we didn't take similar action in the early months of the pandemic, rather than continuing to allow hundreds of thousands of travellers enter the UK, unchallenged, except for the condition that should they suddenly show symptoms, they'd PROMISE to self-isolate. 

If people check the BBC's European news outlet, they would see that many European countries are starting more stringent lockdowns anyway so travel to them closer to Christmas, would be virtuality out of the question & people would have to isolate on arrival.   The main ski resorts in France, Germany & Italy will all be closed this season.  

The Dutch, who have now band UK travel, have already identified a large number of rising cases in Holland of the new COVID variant, (currently found in London & the S.E.), about a week ago & imposed tough restrictions on their own citizens in Holland.  This has prompted warnings from the Belgium government to the Dutch, not to attempt border crossings into Belgium for such things as shopping trips. 

Europe itself is on full alert, particularly now this new COVID variant, seems to be taking hold.  The inconvenience of a travel ban pales into insignificance, if the infection & death rates start to rise again.  And while some will whine at countries imposing a travel ban, justifiably I say, think of the the European citizens of those countries now unable to return home for Christmas. 

The new variant of the COVID virus has recently turned up in Australia. I reckon we should impose travel restrictions with them.  We have enough of our own problems getting to grips with rising numbers here, without the risk of importing more. 

Edited by Baron99

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Especially with the new variant strain on the rise with very little information about whether current vaccines are effective against it & mainland Europe, predominantly the EU countries, yet to start their vaccination programmes.

I was reading that this new virus has been tested in the lab and its been shown to be 70% more infectious, NOT 70% more infectious in every dy life. Boris said the new virious was 70% more infectious, without any detail, did he do that deliberately to spread blame?

The media are now blaming more COVID cases on this new virus, that may not be the case, we dont know.

6 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I was reading that this new virus has been tested in the lab and its been shown to be 70% more infectious, NOT 70% more infectious in every dy life. Boris said the new virious was 70% more infectious, without any detail, did he do that deliberately to spread blame?

The media are now blaming more COVID cases on this new virus, that may not be the case, we dont know.

I would always advise reading as widely as possible.

60% of the new cases in London, last week, are down to the new variant.

Edited by enntee

These Londoners eh? They always want to have the best of everything, even Covid transmission rates!