Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, whiteowl said:

I suppose we should count ourselves lucky in a way that they didn't shut the whole country again because London cases are surging.

Life isn't worth living so not sure what we should be lucky for.  

Edited by MuteWitness

3 minutes ago, MuteWitness said:

Life isn't worth living so not sure what we should be lucky 

Not getting on your case or owt but there is a lot you should be lucky for, have a re think.

Doesn't feel like it can get much worse...went from thinking we could be tied 2 and go to work  and have some money to looking like another lockdown

24 minutes ago, MuteWitness said:

Doesn't feel like it can get much worse...went from thinking we could be tied 2 and go to work  and have some money to looking like another lockdown

It is a pain all this but we will get there,  just think if a Vaccine hadn't have been found for several more years,  lets  put this Xmas behind us and lets head for the winning line.  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, MuteWitness said:

Life isn't worth living so not sure what we should be lucky for.  

1 hour ago, MuteWitness said:

Hey if you need to talk, you know where i am

I'm a bit confused about the new rules. I texted my sister to say I wouldn't be able to go there on Christmas Eve as planned but she texted back to say I would as I'm part of their family bubble so it won't make any difference. Does a household bubble count as 1 household? I think Johnson's gone over the top here. I know he's under pressure to do something about the rising infections but it seems to be London and the south east where the new version of the virus is spreading. He could impose the draconian restrictions down there whilst reducing the number of days households can meet from 5 to 3 (24th-26th) for the rest of the country. I think there'll be mass civil disobedience over this as many people are already saying they'd rather pay the fine than have their Christmas ruined at such short notice.

41 minutes ago, despritdan said:

I'm a bit confused about the new rules. I texted my sister to say I wouldn't be able to go there on Christmas Eve as planned but she texted back to say I would as I'm part of their family bubble so it won't make any difference. Does a household bubble count as 1 household? I think Johnson's gone over the top here. I know he's under pressure to do something about the rising infections but it seems to be London and the south east where the new version of the virus is spreading. He could impose the draconian restrictions down there whilst reducing the number of days households can meet from 5 to 3 (24th-26th) for the rest of the country. I think there'll be mass civil disobedience over this as many people are already saying they'd rather pay the fine than have their Christmas ruined at such short notice.

I'm in a similar boat, but I'm going to try and talk my mum from taking our "bubble" to my sister's. I'd rather write this Xmas off.

This is from the BBC website.

In England if you have formed a support bubble with another household, that counts as one household.

BBC News - Christmas rules 2020: What are the new rules on mixing?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55056375

I've also seen a picture of St Pancras station totally rammed at 7.30 this evening. That faster spreading variant is heading north.

5 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I'm in a similar boat, but I'm going to try and talk my mum from taking our "bubble" to my sister's. I'd rather write this Xmas off.

In England if you have formed a support bubble with another household, that counts as one household.

I've also seen a picture of St Pancras station totally rammed at 7.30 this evening. That faster spreading variant is heading north.

This one ?

0-stpancras.jpg

Source:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/crowds-st-pancras-london-leeds-19491118?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&fbclid=IwAR3ALt2mj7Ie-M6tdJOpL_zc-yMRxtsQy1KPSlR0_G91TOLvWcFsKwiaK5Y

Stay safe everyone.

4 hours ago, MuteWitness said:

It can’t get much worse, I agree. 

The good news is that it is going to get better by the late spring. One that Oxford vaccine is being deployed we are going to be in an improving situation.

So hang on in there, and do get your vaccine as soon as you can.

Adjacent Open Access

COVID-19 mutation does not make virus more infectious

November 25, 2020
COVID-19 mutation, sars © Sdecoret

"Researchers at University College London (UCL) have found that COVID-19 mutations do not make the virus more likely to spread, as previously feared

There are currently 12,706 COVID-19 mutations. But none of them seem to make the virus more infectious.

First and corresponding author Dr Lucy van Dorp (UCL Genetics Institute) said: “The number of SARS-CoV-2 genomes being generated for scientific research is staggering. We realised early on in the pandemic that we needed new approaches to analyse enormous amounts of data in close to real time to flag new mutations in the virus that could affect its transmission or symptom severity.

“Fortunately, we found that none of these mutations are making COVID-19 spread more rapidly, but we need to remain vigilant and continue monitoring new mutations, particularly as vaccines get rolled out.”

UCL researchers led the analysis of virus genomes from over 46,000 people across 99 countries, who tested positive for COVID-19. The mutations documented did not seem to increase transmissibility in humans, meaning that the virus would not really increase in how infectious it currently is.

Three ways that COVID-19 has been mutating

Coronaviruses like SARS-CoV-2 are a type of RNA virus, which can all develop mutations in three different ways: by mistake from copying errors during viral replication, through interactions with other viruses infecting the same cell (recombination or reassortment), or they can be induced by host RNA modification systems which are part of host immunity (e.g. a person’s own immune system).

Most mutations are neutral, while others can be advantageous or detrimental to the virus. Both neutral and advantageous mutations can become more common as they get passed down to descendant viruses.

How did the researchers know if transmission would be increased?

To test if the mutations increase transmission of the virus, the researchers modelled the virus’s evolutionary tree, and analysed whether a particular mutation was becoming increasingly common within a given branch of the evolutionary tree – that is, testing whether, after a mutation first develops in a virus, descendants of that virus outperform closely-related SARS-CoV-2 viruses without that particular mutation.

The researchers found no evidence that any of the common mutations are increasing the virus’s transmissibility. Instead, they found most common mutations are neutral for the virus. This includes one mutation in the virus spike protein called D614G, which has been widely reported as being a common mutation that may make the virus more transmissible. The new evidence finds that this mutation is in fact not associated with significantly increasing transmission."

Where did the current  variant spring from? The above article was written in November this year. What's going on?

This article says the opposite.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/a-mutation-may-have-made-covid-19-more-contagious?c=970164808003

My personal opinion is with this kind of science ....Well, you couldn't put a rocket on Mars.

Stay safe everybody. And have a good a Christmas as is safe to do.

Edited by petemcewan

9 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Thanks for letting me know.