Coronavirus - Part Two.

10 minutes ago, Longcol said:

No.  Doesn't make any real sense and avoids the pertinent question about what's happening now.

It makes plenty of sense. If Covid-19 accelerated the deaths of people with underlying health conditions that one average would only have lived another ten years, then in later years the death rate will decrease as those people (to be frank) aren't around to die at their expected point in time.

As I linked in an earlier post by the way, Spain now has a worse excess death rate than the UK. You need a newer source than May 2020.

3 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

It makes plenty of sense. If Covid-19 accelerated the deaths of people with underlying health conditions that one average would only have lived another ten years, then in later years the death rate will decrease as those people (to be frank) aren't around to die at their expected point in time.

That's on average another ten years - some might have only lived months - some might have lived 50 plus years. Why would you expect a spike in 10 as per your previous post #301?

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

You've obviously not been keeping up with the news then, as that's one of the reasons some americans have given for refusing to wear masks, including on banners at demonstrations

Well I did mention a while back in the Trump thread that as far as the USA is concerned and especially Trump they can do what they like as it's not me living or voting there.

11 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Here you go to all the naysayers regarding wearing a face mask / covering. 

As the doctor says, "Stop making stuff up.... This is a lie made up as an excuse by those who believe the pandemic is a hoax and that wearing a mask somehow encroaches on their rights." 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/nhs-doctor-masks-oxygen-video-joshua-wolrich-a4499876.html

Will you take some advice from someone on the front line? 

It is important to note that he is saying that wearing a mask does not decrease blood oxygen levels.

He is not claiming that masks do not restrict breathing. Masks clearly do restrict breathing, that is why the govt allows people who are disabled and/or people who have respiratory issues to be exempt from masking.

I am not aware of any people who are anti compulsory masking making a claim that wearing a mask reduces blood oxygen levels- [I'm not saying none have- just that I don't know of any]; what many are saying is that wearing a mask restricts breathing, which is a very different thing.

3 hours ago, Joe-b-1 said:

Like this clown

He says 'I can't breathe', he does not claim that his blood oxygen is low.

4 hours ago, covfeffe said:

I haven't got a problem wearing masks but I do a physical job and I find myself pulling it down a little for a period so my nose isn't covered with it, because it gets very warm and close with it on.

If you measure you blood oxygen levels using the device in the video, you'll find that, despite you finding the mask restricting your breathing, your blood oxygen levels will be fine.

6 hours ago, apelike said:

Well I did mention a while back in the Trump thread that as far as the USA is concerned and especially Trump they can do what they like as it's not me living or voting there.

That's the problem though, with international air travel never really been stopped, and the government making exceptions to quarenteen left, right and centre, that's not really a safe option

8 hours ago, Joe-b-1 said:

Like this clown

They should try covid-19 and see what not breathing is really like

Its come to light that Vallance insisted Sage had recommended an immediate total lockdown on 16 March, so Boris wasnt following expert advice.

Not so long ago, walked past a very small group of COVID-19 deniers, setting up a banner & with a few placards, just outside the Peace Gardens. 

Apparently, COVID-19 doesn't exist, (mention that to someone at the Northern General, should you come down with respiratory problems in the next month or so), and it's the start of an experiment thought up by governments & scientists as a way to control us all. 

Edited by Baron99

7 hours ago, melthebell said:

That's the problem though, with international air travel never really been stopped, and the government making exceptions to quarenteen left, right and centre, that's not really a safe option

What problem? When you have around 35-40% of the US population that actually believe that a Zombie apocalypse is possible and are preparing for one the the mind just boggles. 

23 minutes ago, apelike said:

What problem? When you have around 35-40% of the US population that actually believe that a Zombie apocalypse is possible and are preparing for one the the mind just boggles. 

Preparing for a zombie apocalypse might just be a good idea.

I had people laughing at my Brexit stockpile, but it came in handy during lockdown.

Mind you, the stockpile was mostly decent coffee and french wine, with some tinned stuff thrown in for effect😀

The same people that were planning for the apocalypse are the ones blubbing like babies because they couldn't go to the hairdressers and can't breathe when they have to wear a mask occasionly

5 hours ago, El Cid said:

Its come to light that Vallance insisted Sage had recommended an immediate total lockdown on 16 March, so Boris wasnt following expert advice.

If you ask Matt Hancock he'll tell you we locked down on the 16th March.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jul/18/daily-updates-on-english-covid-19-deaths-paused-amid-accuracy-concerns

Can we expect a downward revision towards the good result of 20,000 deaths as a direct consequence of the virus,and a corresponding spike in deaths attributed to road traffic accidents.

You would have thought that someone should have established a credible system of compiling statistics before now.