Coronavirus - Part Two.

16 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Professor Van Tam is keeping up the government tradition of issuing threats and scaremongering-

"The public should take the COVID-19 vaccine when it is offered to them if they want to see an end to social distancing, one of the government's top medical officers has said."

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-professor-jonathan-van-tam-urges-public-to-take-vaccine-if-they-want-to-see-normal-life-to-return-12149441

No, it is more that a potentially compulsory vaccine that hasn't been tested for interactions with drugs does not need further explanation as to why intelligent people who think for themselves may have an issue with it. You do not need to be a doctor to understand the point :)

I find it funny that a lot of these intelligent people who think for themselves manage to freak out when they see people wearing masks.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

9 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Professor Van Tam is keeping up the government tradition of issuing threats and scaremongering-

"The public should take the COVID-19 vaccine when it is offered to them if they want to see an end to social distancing, one of the government's top medical officers has said."

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-professor-jonathan-van-tam-urges-public-to-take-vaccine-if-they-want-to-see-normal-life-to-return-12149441

No, it is more that a potentially compulsory vaccine that hasn't been tested for interactions with drugs does not need further explanation as to why intelligent people who think for themselves may have an issue with it. You do not need to be a doctor to understand the point :)

Who is proposing making it compulsory?

Just now, Longcol said:

Who is proposing making it compulsory?

Intelligent people who think for themselves?

There was something on TV today that care homes might be better waiting  until the Oxford Vaccine is approved, but how long will it be before it is? Is this vaccine being assessed at the moment by the MHRA?

20 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

There was something on TV today that care homes might be better waiting  until the Oxford Vaccine is approved, but how long will it be before it is? Is this vaccine being assessed at the moment by the MHRA?

it will be approved (or not) when the necessary has been collected and evaluated, that isn't a 5 minute thing. 

I thought with the oxford one people had criticised their first test results so they are re-running it.   

3 hours ago, Arnold_Lane said:

As a medical doctor can you explain why that is a concern?

I have experience of this. I was prescribed drugs for a heart problem, but the doctor was unaware of another drug I was on. 

When he did realise he phoned me up full of apologies, and asked me to come down to the surgery straight away to 

surrender the drugs. 

Vaccines can have similar concerns if not used /administered correctly. Remember the little circle of pin pricks that were given to your arm before your TB jab? If the area reacted you were unable to have the TB jab.

Questions still need answering, like do you need jab if you have had covid, do you need jab if you have tested positive but not necessarily had the full blown illness? How long will  immunity last. Is it OK to breast feed as already been mentioned, (no good asking doctor if he doesn't know because no-one's tested for it.) Long term effects etc.  

Remember too that this is an entirely new form of manufactured vaccine which hasn't been tried before. 

In spite of this I will probably choose to have it when offered. But I don't think it shouldn't be compulsory nor used coercively. People should have the right to choose for themselves. 

23 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I have experience of this. I was prescribed drugs for a heart problem, but the doctor was unaware of another drug I was on. 

When he did realise he phoned me up full of apologies, and asked me to come down to the surgery straight away to 

surrender the drugs. 

Vaccines can have similar concerns if not used /administered correctly. Remember the little circle of pin pricks that were given to your arm before your TB jab? If the area reacted you were unable to have the TB jab.

Questions still need answering, like do you need jab if you have had covid, do you need jab if you have tested positive but not necessarily had the full blown illness? How long will  immunity last. Is it OK to breast feed as already been mentioned, (no good asking doctor if he doesn't know because no-one's tested for it.) Long term effects etc.  

Remember too that this is an entirely new form of manufactured vaccine which hasn't been tried before. 

In spite of this I will probably choose to have it when offered. But I don't think it shouldn't be compulsory nor used coercively. People should have the right to choose for themselves. 

And nobody is going to make it compulsory and people will have a choice regarding vaccination.

https://fullfact.org/online/mandatory-vaccine-plans/

"You can’t be forced to get a vaccine

Vaccines are not mandatory in the UK, as we have written before. The government’s own guidelines on vaccinations says individuals “must be given enough information to enable them to make a decision before they can give consent.

We’ve written more about the rules surrounding consent to vaccination in the UK here."

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

And nobody is going to make it compulsory and people will have a choice regarding vaccination.

https://fullfact.org/online/mandatory-vaccine-plans/

"You can’t be forced to get a vaccine

Vaccines are not mandatory in the UK, as we have written before. The government’s own guidelines on vaccinations says individuals “must be given enough information to enable them to make a decision before they can give consent.

We’ve written more about the rules surrounding consent to vaccination in the UK here."

No one is under the delusion that you can be forcibly vaccinated- it is currently illegal in the UK to forcibly vaccinate someone.

The concern is whether the vaccine may be made compulsory in the future, and laws can be changed to allow that.

A year ago if it was suggested that in a few months the public would be ordered to stay in their homes, have to join queues stretching the full length of supermarkets to get food, and then have to wear a mask to enter public buildings, you would have been laughed at. Especially if you added that the majority of the public would not only go along with it, but demand yet more such restrictions and call out for anyone not complying to be fined and/or locked up. Oh, and anyone protesting against it all, or trying to continue to trade would be fined £10,000..

All that has come to pass, and a lot more. I have no doubt that if the voluntary take up of the vaccine is deemed too low by government appointed 'experts' that the compulsion will commence.  It may not be in the full form of it being illegal to not be vaccinated, but certainly the insiduous form of compulsion of the type the Chinese govt inflict on their citizens, of not being able to access travel, restaraunts etc without a 'health passport' proving you've had the vaccine, will be on the cards.

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

But I don't think it shouldn't be compulsory nor used coercively. People should have the right to choose for themselves. 

I agree fully.

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

surrender the drugs. 

Yes- drug interactions can be very serious, and, as time goes on and more drugs are coming into use the problem gets bigger. It is beyond the scope of individual GPs to know all the possible interactions so they have to rely on the automated admin systems to flag up bad combinations- due to extensive personal experience I have little faith in those systems. 

Personally if I'm considering taking a drug I've been prescribed, I do my own research, and, on more than one occasion I've found out something relevant that my GP was totally unaware of.

Concerning the vaccine, I'm suprised that it hasn't been tested for interactions with drugs, and, a bit perplexed, as it seems reasonable to assume that a large portion of those classed as vulnerable, are going to be on multiple prescribed drugs. 

7 hours ago, MuteWitness said:

It is unknown how the vaccine will effect breast feeding and fertility - another reason some people may not want it.

source - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/940565/Information_for_Healthcare_Professionals_on_Pfizer_BioNTech_COVID-19_vaccine.pdf

of course, thats how medicine works, some people suffer from side effects, some dont, some medicines have side effects, some dont...they write them on the paper that comes in em, if they dont know they dont know, how long should they wait? 1 year, 2? 3? 12 years?

Unknown isnt always a negative either.