Coronavirus - Part Two.

Is there any test to show that the vaccine has worked on people? If not, it could be dangerous for the older people to go out thinking they are now unable to catch Covid 19. Just a thought.

8 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

Is there any test to show that the vaccine has worked on people? 

Yes.  Obviously.  

21 hours ago, Anna B said:

Personally, I'd like to see some public figure - say Prince Charles and Camilla, or Prince William and Kate, publicly have the jab first to reassure people.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Yes, you have a point. So it has to be someone with integrity that the public trusts. 

Jeremy Vine has just suggested David Attenborough, which seems a good choice. And as I am always banging on about Jeremy Corbyn's integrity I feel duty bound to nominate him, although I'm well aware that would backfire spectacularly with some of the posters on here....  so maybe not the best choice.🙂 

A lot of the public think for themselves now. I find it bizarre that anyome would judge the safety of a vaccine on the basis that a celebrity, whatever their level of integrity, 'had it first' :)

This would most especially apply to 'conspiracy theorists', and, those who are not anti-vax but are totally opposed to manditory vaccines and indeed anyone who bases their judgements on rationality and remembers similar stunts used in the past to assure the public that something is safe.

A prime example of which would be minister John Gummer during the mad cow disease epidemic, who, to reassure the public that British beef was 100% safe, fed his 4 year old Cordelia a hamburger on television!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/369625.stm

British beef went on to be banned for import by 84 countries, as they were not happy about the measures put in place in Britain and considered it to be unsafe to import

https://www.just-food.com/news/british-beef-banned-in-84-countries-says-government_id84114.aspx

Edited by onewheeldave

11 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

A lot of the public think for themselves now. I find it bizarre that anyome would judge the safety of a vaccine on the basis that a celebrity, whatever their level of integrity, 'had it first' :)

This would most especially apply to 'conspiracy theorists', and, those who are not anti-vax but are totally opposed to manditory vaccines and indeed anyone who bases their judgements on rationality and remembers similar stunts used in the past to assure the public that something is safe.

A prime example of which would be minister John Gummer during the mad cow disease epidemic, who, to reassure the public that British beef was 100% safe, fed his 4 year old Cordelia a hamburger on television!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/369625.stm

British beef went on to be banned for import by 84 countries, as they were not happy about the measures put in place in Britain and considered it to be unsafe to import

https://www.just-food.com/news/british-beef-banned-in-84-countries-says-government_id84114.aspx

Vaccination means we won’t need to wear masks any more which will improve the mental health of those you say are affected by it.  That means fewer suicides, right?

Edited by Arnold_Lane

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Great band, not sure they had much to do with the fight against Covid though....

Ignorance is Bliss. 

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

There has been plenty of criticism of the way the UK Government have handled the covid virus but they do deserve huge praise for how they have gone about securing covid vaccines and preparing to administer the vaccine.

They are finally starting to get things right. Their failure to prepare adequately is unforgivable and has cost many lives, we shouldn’t forget that.

They have got the vaccine purchase right and the quick tests, which will also give us an  avenue back to normality. It takes less than an hour now to get a lateral flow test result. They aren’t perfect, but they are ok and getting better. So, on the whole, things look to be improving.

1 hour ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Yes.  Obviously.  

Why obviously?  I have not heard of any test to see if it has worked or not. I am not talking about the trials.

1 minute ago, Kidorry said:

Why obviously?  I have not heard of any test to see if it has worked or not. I am not talking about the trials.

What do you think the difference between your test and the trials would be?

3 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

One thing none of the safety tests for the vaccine can show, is long term side effects. Part of the reason safety testing for drugs takes so long [as did vaccine safety testing till now] is that long term side effects have a chance of manifesting- this cannot happen with a vaccince developed in less than a year.

15 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

The trials assess whether the works, or not. 

Why would you want other tests?

17 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

One thing none of the safety tests for the vaccine can show, is long term side effects. Part of the reason safety testing for drugs takes so long [as did vaccine safety testing till now] is that long term side effects have a chance of manifesting- this cannot happen with a vaccince developed in less than a year.

So, lets keep the lockdown and mask wearing going on until the long-term side effects can be measured?  After all, the mental health of those worried about the vaccine trumps the mental health of those who don't like the mask-wearing.  Or does it?  It's hard to tell with you.

I think you are searching for reasons to be paranoid.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

23 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

According to various Scientist over the last couple of days, the word is,  minimum side effects if any at all.   A couple of people told me the Flu jab made them feel sick ect, then other people seem to  be OK, Me included,  I suppose its a case of Horses for Coarses.