Coronavirus - Part Two.

Gammon extraordinaire Steve Baker MP has been roundly mocked online for citing EHCR to back up his anti lockdown argument:

In 2016 Mr Baker vote to repeal the HRA. Speaking on  BBC Radio 4’s Today programme on Monday,  he suggested that the Government could use “implied coercion” to get people to participate in mass testing.

He said: "This is a major infringement on a right to a family life.

“I'm looking at the European Convention on Human Rights as I speak to you."

Brexiteer ridiculed for ‘stunning hypocrisy’ after moaning that lockdown goes against ‘European human rights’ laws | Indy100

8 hours ago, retep said:

December roll out according to the Guardian,

"As G20 leaders pledged to ensure the equitable distribution of Covid-19 vaccines, drugs and tests so that poorer countries are not left out, the US, UK and Germany each announced plans to begin vaccinations in their countries in December, while Spain said it would start administering the vaccine to its citizens in January."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/23/us-germany-and-uk-could-start-covid-vaccinations-as-early-as-december

The Daily Mail were banging on about everyone being vaccinated by the end of Jan.  
The Guardian is reporting on a vaccine being rolled out from December.
Rolling out a vaccine is one thing. Getting the whole country vaccinated within 2 months is another.

Edited by redruby

@redrubyand both of 'em could be wrong!  Media speculation is just that -speculation - angled to suit which ever bit/side.

1 hour ago, redruby said:

The Daily Mail were banging on about everyone being vaccinated by the end of Jan.  
Rolling out a vaccine is one thing. Getting the whole country vaccinated within 2 months is another.

The 10,000,000 that have already had COVID wont need a vaccination.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

The 10,000,000 that have already had COVID wont need a vaccination.

Is there any point in getting vaccinated if you’ve already had Covid?“I had Covid-19 six weeks ago, so I might be immune, or I might not. I have no idea whether there is any point in getting vaccinated.” Bill Dixon, retired physics teacher, Madrid.

So far, vaccine trials have focused on people who haven’t been exposed to the coronavirus, so the effect of vaccination on people who have been exposed is unclear. However, since immunity to the virus seems to wane over time, it probably would be worth getting vaccinated. “The level of immunity from natural infection is really variable, so some people get a very strong immune response, and some people get quite a weak immune response,” said Shattock. “The vaccine would top up your immune response, and hopefully provide protection for longer.”

Even once people have been vaccinated, it is possible that they will require additional booster doses to keep their immunity topped up.

Is the vaccine safe? Do I need it if I've had Covid? Readers' questions answered | World news | The Guardian

Edited by Mister M

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

However, since immunity to the virus seems to wane over time, it probably would be worth getting vaccinated. “The level of immunity from natural infection is really variable, so some people get a very strong immune response, and some people get quite a weak immune response,” said Shattock.

If that is what the person who wants the vaccine to be a success is telling us, how variable is the vaccines benefit really?

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

@redrubyand both of 'em could be wrong!  Media speculation is just that -speculation - angled to suit which ever bit/side.

Of course but there are different degrees of this. I would bet with confidence that the whole population of the country will not receive a covid vaccine by the end of January. In fact BBC news reported today the it is hoped the most vulnerable will be vaccinated by Easter. 

35 minutes ago, redruby said:

Of course but there are different degrees of this. I would bet with confidence that the whole population of the country will not receive a covid vaccine by the end of January. In fact BBC news reported today the it is hoped the most vulnerable will be vaccinated by Easter. 

The Spring has been the estimated time from quite a few different sorces before we are out of the Myer.

12 hours ago, alchresearch said:

They're at it today, the government supposedly wasting taxpayers money on "home comforts" for home workers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8975839/Cash-wasted-home-comforts-Whitehall-staff-worked-remote.html

I can't speak for them all but my OH works 60+ hours a week as a civil servant (she's paid for 37). 

She has back problems so needs a special desk and chair.    I'm tall and need a special chair, my chair isn't anything special but cost a lot more than £120.

Funny how the DM doesn't mention anything about the huge saving on electricity, heating and lighting - that has had to come out of our own pockets now home working is the norm.

This is more about Whitehall staff I think, a particularly pampered elite, not the people further down the food chain doing all the work. The same people who begrudge the poorest in society the crumbs off the table to make their life bearable, and make the disabled jump through endless hoops to get a pittance, whilst at the same time indulging themselves with their own sense of entitlement on taxpayers money. That's what makes it so inexcusable. 

20 hours ago, redruby said:

Well quite.

During this pandemic this Government have proven themselves to be nothing if not shambolic.

It'd be funny if it weren't so serious

15 hours ago, Anna B said:

This is more about Whitehall staff I think, a particularly pampered elite, not the people further down the food chain doing all the work. The same people who begrudge the poorest in society the crumbs off the table to make their life bearable, and make the disabled jump through endless hoops to get a pittance, whilst at the same time indulging themselves with their own sense of entitlement on taxpayers money. That's what makes it so inexcusable. 

I do feel particularly sad for 'The Excluded' - many self employed people,  people working in the arts or theatre for example who have had very little or next to no help. I think from memory there are about 3 million of them - or 10% of the workforce.

15 hours ago, Mister M said:

Well quite.

During this pandemic this Government have proven themselves to be nothing if not shambolic.

It'd be funny if it weren't so serious

Yeah, we’re saying Easter. The Germans will be done by February I bet.