Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 minute ago, Arnold_Lane said:

I thought you had your eyes open?

Published 14th July.

Fair enough- it's one of the aspects of my autism, difficulty finding specific stuff in big blocks of text; nothing to do with eyes being open or shut. 

25 minutes ago, apelike said:

Which is absurd as an office environment is even more enclosed than a supermarket and the rules should apply equally to all situations where practical.

The position seems to be that for virus spreading the amount of different people you come into contact with is significant rather than if you spend lots of time with the same small number of people. It's notable that people in customer facing roles have to wear face masks/shields, hide behind perspex screens, etc.

57 minutes ago, apelike said:

Which is absurd as an office environment is even more enclosed than a supermarket and the rules should apply equally to all situations where practical.

The office thing is because  masks leak. If you are just passing someone in a shop, that doesn’t really matter. The mask(s) will still reduce viral load.

In an office, things are different. For a start, you should be able to social distance more easily. Also, if you are in close proximity to someone for eight hours a day, and they are infected, the chances are that you will be too. Mask, or no mask.

I think this is the Government attempting to be proportionate in their decision making.

8 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

I've noticed that most stores seem to have removed the distance markers/arrows. Consensus of experts seems to be that social distancing is more effective tham masks, so if compulsory masking leads to less social distancing, then it is counter-productive (makes things worse, not better]

Yes, entirely right, but it doesn't suit the government's agenda.

The government is under pressure from big business to get things as close as back to normal as swiftly as possible.  The fact that this will no doubt cost thousands more lives is of no importance to them.  After all, they've gotten away with hundreds of thousands already and the great British public have done nothing, and it's mostly the disabled, elderly and vulnerable groups that don't matter to them anyway.

At least Tesco will be able to welcome the hordes back, without these necessary and pesky health and safety requirements, denting their profits.  

The masks are necessary to control the spread and viral load, so is distancing.  We need both to control the numbers.  The public are being lulled into a false sense of security, so that they will feel safe going out and spending their money but without the distancing measures, and with the numbers going up again, they are less safe than they were weeks ago.

Edited by Lex Luthor

30 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

Yes, entirely right, but it doesn't suit the government's agenda.

The government is under pressure from big business to get things as close as back to normal as swiftly as possible.  The fact that this will no doubt cost thousands more lives is of no importance to them.  After all, they've gotten away with hundreds of thousands already and the great British public have done nothing, and it's mostly the disabled, elderly and vulnerable groups that don't matter to them anyway.

At least Tesco will be able to welcome the hordes back, without these necessary and pesky health and safety requirements, denting their profits.  

The masks are necessary to control the spread and viral load, so is distancing.  We need both to control the numbers.  The public are being lulled into a false sense of security, so that they will feel safe going out and spending their money but without the distancing measures, and with the numbers going up again, they are less safe than they were weeks ago.

Judging from how the negotiations with the EU27 are progressing, I doubt that tbh.

The government is under self-imposed pressure to get things back to normal soonest, because after 3+ months of suspended economic activity, anticipated tax receipts must be looking a bit problematic. Same problem for every other government, really.

But yes, masks and distancing (and washing hands, self-quarantining, intl travel control, etc) are all still very much required. 2nd waves are getting underway fast and bad currently, in a lot of places that, by all accounts, thought they had it licked.

5 hours ago, L00b said:

Judging from how the negotiations with the EU27 are progressing, I doubt that tbh.

The government is under self-imposed pressure to get things back to normal soonest, because after 3+ months of suspended economic activity, anticipated tax receipts must be looking a bit problematic. Same problem for every other government, really.

Realistically, I think it's both.

5 hours ago, L00b said:

2nd waves are getting underway fast and bad currently, in a lot of places that, by all accounts, thought they had it licked.

It's extremely worrying, when countries with governments that have proven themselves to be far more efficient in their response to Cv-19 than our own set of donkeys, are now seeing steep inclines.  I just can't even bear to imagine.

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Early stage data from the vaccine trials of Oxford University & AstraZeneca collaboration are due next week. 

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN24G1BW

Here's hoping that it's a step towards a possible vaccine? 

As world leaders haven’t got their heads together to try and work out a “good” new normal, we need a vaccine so we can go back to how we were and as fast as possible before I have to start flogging my body parts on the dark web.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

As world leaders haven’t got their heads together to try and work out a “good” new normal, we need a vaccine so we can go back to how we were and as fast as possible before I have to start flogging my body parts on the dark web.

How much for the hat?

On 14/07/2020 at 09:51, onewheeldave said:

I indeed do not want to be part of that 'team'. As for restrictions, it's looking like global totalitarianism in well under 40 years :(

That's fine mate, you do whatever you need to do, but just remember it will be over quicker if we work as a team, just my take on it.

11 hours ago, Dardandec said:

That's fine mate, you do whatever you need to do, but just remember it will be over quicker if we work as a team, just my take on it.

When it comes to the descent into global totalitarianism I'd rather it was over slower, ideally, that it didn't happen at all.