Coronavirus - Part Two.

7 hours ago, Pettytom said:

The safety thing is fine. The vaccines have all been in development for years for one reason or another.  They are safe.

The big question is, do they work?

From what I’ve read, one problem with taking a vaccine which has been fast tracked is it that it could turn people into asymptomatic carriers who spread the virushttps://www.chemistryworld.com/news/what-are-the-risks-of-fast-tracking-a-covid-19-vaccine/4012130.article

Amongst other issues.

Rolling out a vaccine without full evaluation  risks greater costs in the long term than investing a bit more time now.

Rushing, panicking and half baked measures releasing and reinstating lockdowns have made a bad situation even worse. We really shouldn’t be taking risks like this with vaccines.

Edited by redruby

Just back from the dog's late walk tonight - Saturday, 8.45 - and couldn't help notice the amount of traffic.

It's just like a normal Saturday night...

Where've all these people been?

What for?

Where are these people driving to?

Have they all been to supermarkets?

They must be doing a roaring trade if so...

14 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Just back from the dog's late walk tonight - Saturday, 8.45 - and couldn't help notice the amount of traffic.

What for?

.....Jobs, carers, support bubbles, shoppers, childcare, takeaway collections and delivery drivers, taxi drivers and maybe just people who fancied getting out of the house and taking their car for a run out.....  loads of potential reasons.

8:45 is certainly not deemed late night by any means. I don't think even the major stores close until after that time,  let alone smaller businesses and food service. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

43 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

.....Jobs, carers, support bubbles, shoppers, childcare, takeaway collections and delivery drivers, taxi drivers and maybe just people who fancied getting out of the house and taking their car for a run out.....  loads of potential reasons.

8:45 is certainly not deemed late night by any means. I don't think even the major stores close until after that time,  let alone smaller businesses and food service. 

I think you'll find that with the exception of supermarkets most major stores have been closed for a couple of hours and smaller local businesses still open are mini-markets or off licences where the majority of trade is on foot.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

All of which can therefore apply to any night at circa 8.45.

The 'stay at home' advice  for lockdown2 isn't going to work at that rate.

(Incidentally, it's now 10.50pm, and the road - granted, a main one - is still busy)

8 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

All of which can therefore apply to any night at circa 8.45.

The 'stay at home' advice  for lockdown2 isn't going to work at that rate.

(Incidentally, it's now 10.50pm, and the road - granted, a main one - is still busy)

It doesn’t feel like a ‘lockdown’ at all. 
Prof Devi Shridhar has made some excellent points on lockdowns https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/health/2020/11/devi-sridhar-how-uk-can-avoid-endless-cycle-lockdowns

2 hours ago, redruby said:

It doesn’t feel like a ‘lockdown’ at all. 
Prof Devi Shridhar has made some excellent points on lockdowns https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/health/2020/11/devi-sridhar-how-uk-can-avoid-endless-cycle-lockdowns

Yes. I think she's got it spot-on.

"And all of a sudden we’ve turned from "we’re doing this for all of us" to "what’s best for my situation and my family". I think that’s a problem throughout the UK, the whole of the UK was watching and the message clearly sent by the government was "if your circumstances mean that you want to be a good parent or good to your family then you can break the rules". And that of course means compliance is an issue now. "

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

Yes. I think she's got it spot-on.

"And all of a sudden we’ve turned from "we’re doing this for all of us" to "what’s best for my situation and my family". I think that’s a problem throughout the UK, the whole of the UK was watching and the message clearly sent by the government was "if your circumstances mean that you want to be a good parent or good to your family then you can break the rules". And that of course means compliance is an issue now. "

generally speaking whats best for us all is usually whats best for your family. Of course, there may be circumstances, like going up north for an eye test, where that may not be the case but as long as you take the necessary precautions to avoid spreading/catching infection that shouldn't be a big issue.

15 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

What for?

Town was busy yesterday. 

21 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I would be unhappy if I owned a non-essential shop which was forced to close if the Town was busy.

That depends if town was busy with people buying non-essential things. 

The problem is that larger shops have the space to stock both essential and non-essential items so people can buy both. Maybe there should be a maximum ratio of non-essential to essential items..... 

3 hours ago, andyofborg said:

That depends if town was busy with people buying non-essential things. 

The problem is that larger shops have the space to stock both essential and non-essential items so people can buy both. Maybe there should be a maximum ratio of non-essential to essential items..... 

When so many people apparently don’t understand the current measures I doubt that would work. 
There seems to be a lot of looking for loopholes. Which is understandable in some ways but I think we would better off biting the bullet working to squash the virus with a harder lockdown, an effective test and trace and travel restrictions.  It would of be hard and come at a cost but a cycle of half baked ‘lockdown lites’ with people choosing their own interpretations and looking for loopholes will cost much in the long term.

I should have also said that lockdowns are to prevent the health service being overwhelmed and allow time for vaccine development and test and trace development. Of course a lockdown alone will not alone eliminate COVID-19. 

1 hour ago, redruby said:

I should have also said that lockdowns are to prevent the health service being overwhelmed and allow time for vaccine development and test and trace development. Of course a lockdown alone will not alone eliminate COVID-19. 

They have had since March/April to get the NHS ready, what part of the NHS is not ready?