Coronavirus - Part Two.

3 minutes ago, MuteWitness said:

Well you are the expert but it looked like people under 50 didn't have much chance of getting seriously ill from it and if the average age of death is 82 which is higher than life expectancy then  isn't it killing people who should be dead already ?

Of course everyone matters just like the young people ending their lives because they see no future with lockdowns looming which to be honest worries me more personally.

The reason why there is another lockdown is because it is highly likely that if there isn't a lockdown the NHS will be overwhelmed within a few weeks.

Sheffield hospitals are currently full to bursting.

And we're not the worst - only in the top 20 of hospitals that are being overwhelmed by admissions, apparently (I hear there was some sort of leaked document, but I didn't get the full details and haven't been able to verify directly).

3 hours ago, MuteWitness said:

Yes,  but isn't it only old or already ill people ?

Oh well, that's fine then, isn't it?

Hi all. Re Sheffield hospitals and the elderly. Three or four weeks ago my 80 year old dad was admitted to NGH. He was mid stage Parkinsons, had a seizure and was suffering from a chest infection. He was placed on a ward with Covid patients, apparently this was ok because he was on a “bay” at the end of the ward. Last week we were informed that he had now tested positive for Covid. He died at 8am Sunday morning. My dad had done high risk jobs in his life and I do consider that he had beaten the bookies to reach 80 years old. To those who think this disease only affects old people. My mum has lost her life partner of 60 years. My strapping 21 year old son has lost his grandad, I have lost my dad and my granddaughter has lost her great grandad. That’s apart from a lifetime of friends and acquaintances. Stay safe everyone.

1 hour ago, Jim117 said:

Hi all. Re Sheffield hospitals and the elderly. Three or four weeks ago my 80 year old dad was admitted to NGH. He was mid stage Parkinsons, had a seizure and was suffering from a chest infection. He was placed on a ward with Covid patients, apparently this was ok because he was on a “bay” at the end of the ward. Last week we were informed that he had now tested positive for Covid. He died at 8am Sunday morning. My dad had done high risk jobs in his life and I do consider that he had beaten the bookies to reach 80 years old. To those who think this disease only affects old people. My mum has lost her life partner of 60 years. My strapping 21 year old son has lost his grandad, I have lost my dad and my granddaughter has lost her great grandad. That’s apart from a lifetime of friends and acquaintances. Stay safe everyone.

Sorry to hear that mate.

1 hour ago, Jim117 said:

That's very sad Jim. My condolances to you and your family. 

7 hours ago, MuteWitness said:

Yes,  but isn't it only old or already ill people ?

As previously posted NO. There are a lot of relatively young people who usually have well controlled illnesses (e.g. cystic fibrosis, transplant recipients) who live normal family lives, have children, mortgages and tax paying jobs. These people aren’t ‘old or normally ill’ but the way the virus acts renders them very vulnerable to its effects and probably requiring hospitalisation should they become infected. How would you define old-some 80 year olds are mentally young, active and socially active? How would you define ill- not all people who have long term conditions are sat in a chair waiting to die. Thankfully you don’t have to make those decisions but if the infection spread is not brought under control and hospitals are overwhelmed doctors will have to -and  convey that decision to loved ones. If none of the above hits home- imagine you or yours needed hospital, Covid or other, treatment/surgery delayed because beds were full of Covid patients, would you be able to choose who to kick out so you/yours could have treatment? 

Edited by catmiss
Typo

Furlow extended till march, flippin hell, how long is this Lockdown gonna last, :hihi:

21 hours ago, MuteWitness said:

Yes but there is lots saying hospitals are at the same capacity every year.  

I'm no expert i can only go on data that is available.

Maybe they are. But anyway the problem is not the number of patients now  - rather its the fact the number is doubling every week or so.

21 hours ago, West 77 said:

The reason why there is another lockdown is because it is highly likely that if there isn't a lockdown the NHS will be overwhelmed within a few weeks.

Not sure how well its going to work - just been in one the large supermarkets and very few staff had masks on. Around 10% of customers also unmasked. 

2 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Furlow extended till march, flippin hell, how long is this Lockdown gonna last, :hihi:

I guess only those regions with low infection  rates will come out of this lockdown on 2nd December and put into tier one or two.  In my opinion the Government have been too generous with the furlough scheme.  Sectors like hospitality and retail should be removed from the furlough scheme because it's going to take too long for things to get back to normal.  Argos have actually increased their sales this year by 8% due to the big increase in online sales. 

39 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Not sure how well its going to work - just been in one the large supermarkets and very few staff had masks on. Around 10% of customers also unmasked. 

I agree there is a lack of discipline. Anyone who can't wear a mask for the short time they are in a shop should stay at home. However, I think the bigger problem is households mixing. I've observed rule breaking this morning  in the form of neighbours going into other residents properties. 

On 03/11/2020 at 21:25, El Cid said:

Or speeding/dangerous driving?

No MOT = £100 fine

Coronavirus fines in England = £200 for the first offence, lowered to £100 if paid within 14 days

Scotland and other nations = £60

Is a speeding fine different in other nations or is the difference political?

https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/c19/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-covid-19-police-powers/

Makes you wonder if the Coronavirus fines are legal,

"Britons could launch class-action lawsuit for BILLIONS in compensation for Government ‘falsely imprisoning’ nation during lockdown, law lecturer predicts"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8914971/Britons-launch-class-action-lawsuit-Government-falsely-imprisoning-nation-says-lawyer.html

1 minute ago, retep said:

Makes you wonder if the Coronavirus fines are legal,

"Britons could launch class-action lawsuit for BILLIONS in compensation for Government ‘falsely imprisoning’ nation during lockdown, law lecturer predicts"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8914971/Britons-launch-class-action-lawsuit-Government-falsely-imprisoning-nation-says-lawyer.html

Yeah, sure that will work out.