Coronavirus - Part Two.

A number of takeaways in Sheffield fined for breaking COVID-19 rules.  Mainly on London Road & West Street. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/consumer/ten-sheffield-takeaways-fined-thousands-breaching-coronavirus-curfew-3026238

Slight aside. Poseidon Fish Bar, Abbey Lane. Clearly The Star don't have a picture of Abbey Lane, so thought a picture of Junction Rd & Sharrow Vale Rd would do (?).

Edited by Baron99

Hospials, nurses, doctors, auxillary staff, carers etc should all have increased over the years to match the increase in the population and the demographics. We've known for years that the population was ageing and would need more support but nothing has been done, in fact all these things have been deliberately eroded by 10 years of austerity.

The government was also warned by the WHO to plan for a future epidemic by stockpiling resources etc. Again they were ignored. 

This was long before the current pandemic struck. Other countries complied, if we had done likewise we would not be in the position we are in now.

53 minutes ago, MuteWitness said:

Of course it isn't fine thats why we should be protecting people at risk, its all very sad but if we keep locking down and no vaccine comes then what?  Should we not be protecting those at risk and shielding them ?

Also anyone know why covid patients are not kept separate from other patience ?  other infections have had different hospitals etc.  i can even remember early covid19 news reports from china of people in pods so they didn't infect others?  its really sad that people go in hospital with one thing and end up with covid and doesn't this put people off going to hospital all together?

Like i said I know nothing am willing to learn, i'm simply asking questions as a lot of people on here seem to have alot more understanding of the virus than men. 

My bold.

They are, up to a point. Until there's nowhere to keep them separate because there's too many of them and all the beds are full...

At NGH theres currently designated Covid confirmed, Covid exposed and Covid excluded wards.

Edited by nikki-red

22 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Hospials, nurses, doctors, auxillary staff, carers etc should all have increased over the years to match the increase in the population and the demographics. We've known for years that the population was ageing and would need more support but nothing has been done, in fact all these things have been deliberately eroded by 10 years of austerity.

The government was also warned by the WHO to plan for a future epidemic by stockpiling resources etc. Again they were ignored. 

This was long before the current pandemic struck. Other countries complied, if we had done likewise we would not be in the position we are in now.

A quick look at the news shows there are plenty of other countries which are in just as difficult position as we are.

Did they ALL get it so wrong?

Planning for a pandemic is one thing.   Spending significant amounts of finite public money to stockpile and prepare for something that either may never happen or if it does happen, only effects minimal percentages of the population is another thing.

We know that something has to be done but behind the headlines and all the scary figures we must not forget that even at today's count, the ambiguously titled 'covid related' deaths in this country still amounts to just 0.07% of the total population.    Even the more headline grabbing 'infection' numbers which tops a million still only equates to just 1.6% of people. 

Whether you agree with their protests or not, it's not difficult to see why some people really don't agree with this disruption on their lives,  livelihoods and income for what they clearly feel is overkill.  

There has to be a balance and somebody has to make the difficult decisions. 

Everyone's an expert with the benefit of hindsight. Furthermore, those Experts throwing out these worst-case scenarios, predictions and demands are very often the ones who don't have to face the public and deal with the fallout of their actions. Neither do they have the burden of trying to balance an already precarious public purse and national economy with controlling the disease.

There is no simple answer to this crisis and it's certainly not as black and white as you are making out.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Even the more headline grabbing 'infection' numbers which tops a million still only equates to just 1.6% of people.

Its conciderably more than that, somewhere around 10 million

Last week the ONS said 570,000 had COVID, in one week.

An estimated 224,400 people (95% credible interval: 203,800 to 245,700) within the community population in England had the coronavirus (COVID-19) during the most recent week, from 25 September to 1 October 2020, equating to around 1 in 240 people (95% credible interval: 1 in 270 to 1 in 220).

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/englandwalesandnorthernireland9october2020

Edited by El Cid

To illustrate the range of different numbers being put forward, another piece of research, also based on statistical modelling, from the MRC Biostatistics Unit at the University of Cambridge estimates that about 6.5 million people had been infected with the new coronavirus in England by 10 May.

https://fullfact.org/health/19m-coronavirus-manchester/

14 hours ago, West 77 said:

I agree with your sentiments . However, there isn't a magic money tree.  There is no guarantee there will be a vaccine by March and we could be in the same situation next year in November.  Sooner or later,  if there is no vaccine the Government will have no alternative to end furlough.  The reality is its a waste of taxpayers money giving furlough payments to workers who will lose their jobs after furlough funding ends.

Lots of zero hour contract people that now have nothing apart from universal credit or taking any work they can still get,  plenty of companies have exploited these contracts by having full time hour staff on them long term and now these people are bottom of the pile when it comes to help.

4 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Ed Balls  said yesterday it is going to take over 50 years to pay back the money borrowed to fund what has and is being spent because of Covid-19.  Furlough has been to generous in my opinion.

And don't companies who put people on furlough instead of letting them go also benefit from £1000 grant - I will double check when i'm back on the laptop but i am sure i remember that said?

No wonder people are protesting - facebook is full of people saying they are protesting this saturday in Sheffield.   Lots of upset people, you are right about generous furlough.

1 hour ago, MuteWitness said:

And don't companies who put people on furlough instead of letting them go also benefit from £1000 grant - I will double check when i'm back on the laptop but i am sure i remember that said?

No wonder people are protesting - facebook is full of people saying they are protesting this saturday in Sheffield.   Lots of upset people, you are right about generous furlough.

Yep, companies get a grand in March for every furloughed employee they don't make redundant by then.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Ed Balls  said yesterday it is going to take over 50 years to pay back the money borrowed to fund what has and is being spent because of Covid-19.  Furlough has been to generous in my opinion.

That's interesting because we haven't as much as we gave the banks in 2008. You'd have thought ed balls might know that.

4 hours ago, West 77 said:

Who are we going to pay it back to?

4 hours ago, West 77 said:

Furlough has been to generous in my opinion.

Really? im on my second furlough and im getting by.............just, i get 80% of my wage and it just about covers my bills (which i still have to pay), but at least i have a job to go back to, hopefully