Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

How long is Liverpool and Manchester locked down for, what ever the answer is, take it as we will probably spend the same time if  we are moved up a tier.  :roll:

3 months minimum in reality , which is why they wanted £90m and not £22m.

30 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

From what I have read that's only because Burnham stubbornly refused the government's top line figure of 60 million. 

Perhaps if he he dropped the ego and realises that Manchester city region is perhaps not so important he thinks it is, the offer will still be on the table to him. It's not as if he is the only region already in tier 3

Does that region really have a mayor looking out in their best interests??  or is it a bit of a power trip by a failed Labour leader candidate desperately trying to push the boundaries of his limited devolved powers and influence.  

I do note said mayor seems be more than happy to put the entire country in a national lockdown but seemingly unwilling to respond to the obvious dramatic increases in infection in his  is own responsible region unless of course he received a nice big fat payment...... hmmm.

So Boris Johnson's response to not giving that extra £5m is to knock it down to £22m and inform the mayor and council via Twitter. 

It's an indefensible **** show. Those already under pressure in Manchester will not do well.  And  - unless you can point otherwise - Burnham isn't personally receiving anything. He doesn't work for Serco!

29 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

From what I have read that's only because Burnham stubbornly refused the government's top line figure of 60 million. 

Perhaps if he he dropped the ego 

Burnham is just doing his job and representing his city. I think he should be applauded for this and for calling out the mealy mouthed, pathetic government. It’s time that Johnson showed some leadership. He could begin by actually showing us that he has an appreciation of the detail of the crisis he’s helping to create. He also needs to put more money into support for low paid workers and for affected businesses. He’s a proper car crash of a PM.

I left the first line of your second paragraph in my quote to gently suggest that the problem here isn’t Burnham’s  ego. This excuse for a government have done nothing but massage their egos , enrich their friends and excuse their allies when they don’t follow the restrictions that we all face.  We deserve better.

1 minute ago, Pettytom said:

Burnham is just doing his job and representing his city. I think he should be applauded for this and for calling out the mealy mouthed, pathetic government. It’s time that Johnson showed some leadership. He could begin by actually showing us that he has an appreciation of the detail of the crisis he’s helping to create. He also needs to put more money into support for low paid workers and for affected businesses. He’s a proper car crash of a PM.

I left the first line of your second paragraph in my quote to gently suggest that the problem here isn’t Burnham’s  ego. This excuse for a government have done nothing but massage their egos , enrich their friends and excuse their allies when they don’t follow the restrictions that we all face.  We deserve better.

And when Sheffield gets moved into tier 3, Manchester will be the benchmark, so a fair chunk less than £22m to last into the new year. It's going to make the Thatcher years look like a holiday.

44 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Perhaps if he he dropped the ego and realises that Manchester city region is perhaps not so important he thinks it is, the offer will still be on the table to him. It's not as if he is the only region already in tier 3

Does that region really have a mayor looking out in their best interests??  or is it a bit of a power trip by a failed Labour leader candidate desperately trying to push the boundaries of his limited devolved powers and influence.  

I do note said mayor seems be more than happy to put the entire country in a national lockdown but seemingly unwilling to respond to the obvious dramatic increases in infection in his  is own responsible region unless of course he received a nice big fat payment...... hmmm.

Would you level those accusations to those Greater Manchester Tory MPs like Graham Brady who are supportive of  Andy Burnham

Edited by Mister M

24 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

And when Sheffield gets moved into tier 3, Manchester will be the benchmark, so a fair chunk less than £22m to last into the new year. It's going to make the Thatcher years look like a holiday.

It’s a sick joke really. Removing financial assistance on ideological grounds is disgraceful. We’ll be next, but I bet that Dan Jarvis will manage a better settlement than Burnham.

It won’t be as good as the Liverpool settlement though. Johnson has used Steve Rotherham to get this north of England lockdown started. All done on the cheap, of course, with Liverpool as the exception. A sort of scouse loss leader.

This lot are much worse than Thatcher. She was driven by an ideology. This lot are driven by personal greed and a fair dollop of stupidity.

50 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

It’s a sick joke really. Removing financial assistance on ideological grounds is disgraceful. We’ll be next, but I bet that Dan Jarvis will manage a better settlement than Burnham.

It won’t be as good as the Liverpool settlement though. Johnson has used Steve Rotherham to get this north of England lockdown started. All done on the cheap, of course, with Liverpool as the exception. A sort of scouse loss leader.

This lot are much worse than Thatcher. She was driven by an ideology. This lot are driven by personal greed and a fair dollop of stupidity.

And a "career psychopath" who considers himself above the law............................

This is not rocket science. They gave him a hard deadline. He rejected it. The default position is and always was 22 million. He knew that was the outcome but now he's bellyaching blaming all and everyone but himself.  

Who actually cares if he THINKS the lockdown is going to be 3 months or 9 months or 12-months or whether he alleges they need 90 million or 200 million or 100 billion.... That was not the reality of the topic under negotiation.  Pretending that one is mystic meg is not much of a bargaining tactic

It has been repeated by the government in the House and in several Media reports that that 60 million is still on the table ready for acceptance. All he has to do is make that phone call instead of whining in front of the cameras doing his ego filled power trip.  

On latest reports the discussions are "ongoing" so let's hope he sees sense.   

To be frank if there is any failure to be applied to the government it's the fact that there was a negotiation on this at all. If I had my way there would be a basic formula applied to the regions based on numbers of population and a fixed amount set which one could like it or lump it.  

Just what exactly does the Greater Manchester region think they are that gives them a right to apply demands and conditions over any other region. Certainly didn't see their neighbours down along the M62 creating such a fuss. They might have not liked the implementation but they didn't start threatening the government with a load of demands.

Can't wait to see how our own unwanted unnecessary city region mayor responds. Will it be a Steve Rotheram scenario or Andy Burnham... place your bets now folks

This is not rocket science. They gave him a hard deadline. He rejected it. The default position is and always was 22 million. He knew that was the outcome but now he's bellyaching blaming all and everyone but himself.  

Who actually cares if he THINKS the lockdown is going to be 3 months or 9 months or 12-months or whether he alleges they need 90 million or 200 million or 100 billion.... That was not the reality of the topic under negotiation.  Pretending that one is mystic meg is not much of a bargaining tactic

It has been repeated by the government in the House and in several Media reports that the 60 million is still on the table ready for acceptance. All he has to do is make that phone call instead of whining in front of the cameras doing his ego filled power trip.  

To be frank if there is any failure to be applied to the government it's the fact that there was a negotiation on this at all. If I had my way there would be a basic formula applied to the regions based on numbers of population and a fixed amount set which one could like it or lump it.  

Just what exactly does the Greater Manchester region think they are that gives them a right to apply demands and conditions over any other region. Certainly didn't see their neighbours down along the M62 creating such a fuss. They might have not liked the implementation but they didn't start threatening the government with a load of demands.

Can't wait to see how our own unwanted unnecessary city region mayor responds. Will it be a Steve Rotheram scenario or Andy Burnham... place your bets now folks

Edited by ECCOnoob

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It has been repeated by the government in the House and in several Media reports that that 60 million is still on the table ready for acceptance. All he has to do is make that phone call instead of whining in front of the cameras doing his ego filled power trip.  

Just what exactly does the Greater Manchester region think they are that gives them a right to apply demands and conditions over any other region. Certainly didn't see their neighbours down along the M62 creating such a fuss. They might have not liked the implementation but they didn't start threatening the government with a load of demands.

What makes you think our mayor is unwanted? Unwanted by you maybe.

It will be neither. Steve Rotherham was played by the Tories to get him exactly where they wanted him. That left them with a nice cheap precedent to apply to the rest of us. They reckoned without Burnham actually being bothered about his citizens.

I’m hoping that Jarvis will turn out to be more like Burnham, and less like Rotherham.

It’s not as though we are discussing huge sums of money anyway. We’ve just spent four times as much fixing a clock as we are giving to Manchester to sort a pandemic. The world is mad.

Edited by Pettytom

57 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It has been repeated by the government in the House and in several Media reports that the 60 million is still on the table ready for acceptance. All he has to do is make that phone call instead of whining in front of the cameras doing his ego filled power trip.  

Just what exactly does the Greater Manchester region think they are that gives them a right to apply demands and conditions over any other region. Certainly didn't see their neighbours down along the M62 creating such a fuss. They might have not liked the implementation but they didn't start threatening the government with a load of demands.

I'm sorry that's hogwash - Boris Johnson is the prime minister not a kneecapping loan shark. If he didn't want to go to £65m he could have said, sorry Andy it's £60m end of. But no, Boris decided to give the poorest people in Manchester a kicking (Andy Burnham will be fine by the way) and that was something Boris CHOSE to do - does that ring a bell with anyone in the red wall? It's an abomination.

It's a public beating and I can only imagine what happens on Friday when Sheffield et al and go cap in hand to the government when they go into tier three. They'll get sod all and be grateful.

Edited by nikki-red

9 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

It's a public beating and I can only imagine what happens on Friday when Sheffield et al and go cap in hand to the government when they go into tier three. They'll get sod all and be grateful.

I think that Johnson has misjudged this. There’s no doubt that Burnham is speaking with conviction. Johnson’s wheeling and dealing looks mean. It is mean. People will perceive it to be mean. 

Everyone is heartily sick of this now. I’d imagine that most people just want to make sure that we can all get through the winter without some of us becoming destitute. Meanwhile, the Bullingdon boy and his mates are playing a bizarre game of poker.

I’m not sure that the electorate will be very forgiving.

3 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I think that Johnson has misjudged this. There’s no doubt that Burnham is speaking with conviction. Johnson’s wheeling and dealing looks mean. It is mean. People will perceive it to be mean. 

Everyone is heartily sick of this now. I’d imagine that most people just want to make sure that we can all get through the winter without some of us becoming destitute. Meanwhile, the Bullingdon boy and his mates are playing a bizarre game of poker.

I’m not sure that the electorate will be very forgiving.

"It's dirty northerners not washing their hands" - do not discount southern ignorance. And northern racists who will take this spanking as a price worth paying.