Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 minute ago, Easy livin said:

is this not what  a number of us suggested 200 days ago, just before  the ecomomy  was ruined.

imagine how life would be now.  pretty much normal  for  the vast majority

And many many many more dead. Hospital admissions for covid are now up to early match levels.

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

IMO Herd immunity is the way forward.

Life should carry on as normal. Let the young catch it as most will have only mild symptoms, and shield the elderly and vulnerable. I am in the elderly group so I would not be happy about this, but we cannot sacrifice the economy, the young, and our way of life because of this group.

Im not saying anything about young or old,  Im saying anyone should not trust to thinking they are imune, stick to the rules and guidelines and dont take any chances. 

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

And many many many more dead. Hospital admissions for covid are now up to early match levels.

Excactly.

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

But when looked at in hindsight, taking into account those who will die as a result of unemployment, destroyed industries, mental health and lack of access to medical treatment, isn't it fairly obvious that those numbers could well exceed any saved by the measures?

This "many many many more dead" is nothing other than a tired, knee-jerk mantra that is only remotely plausible in conjunction with a head-in-the-sand disregard for those unfortunates who will die, not of covid, but of the covid measures.

Far from fearful. My industry is circling the drain and I'd happily lick a coughing tramp if I could get earning properly again. 

But there's a bigger picture surely?

51 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

But when looked at in hindsight, taking into account those who will die as a result of unemployment, destroyed industries, mental health and lack of access to medical treatment, isn't it fairly obvious that those numbers could well exceed any saved by the measures?

This "many many many more dead" is nothing other than a tired, knee-jerk mantra that is only remotely plausible in conjunction with a head-in-the-sand disregard for those unfortunates who will die, not of covid, but of the covid measures.

The lack of medical treatment is nothing to do with covid restrictions. Do you really think people would get treatment if we had done nothing and the hospitals were full of covid cases for months and months and months?

17 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Far from fearful. My industry is circling the drain and I'd happily lick a coughing tramp if I could get earning properly again. 

But there's a bigger picture surely?

There is a much bigger picture. If we lose control of he virus, our hospitals will be unable to cope with the influx. Therefore, they will be unable to treat any other patients either.  They will also be saddled with many people with the long term effects of the virus.

A mass outbreak of Covid will also cause economic problems as a large proportion of the workforce will be ill, possibly long term. Not to mention the thousands upon thousands of loved ones who will die.

Thankfully, we have professional epidemiologists and virologists advising the government, rather than the amateurs plying their quack remedies on here.

In time, this will pass and the economy will recover. I do hope that is in time for you. 

Don’t kiss that tramp, just carry on with the sensible precautions.

11 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

There are as many professional epidemiologists and virologists  who are disagreeing,  yet the guv are choosing to ignore those  voices.
what if they are  right?  
have you not considered that?

I have. There is plenty of disagreement, that’s a normal part of scientific progress, but there are nowhere near the same numbers of dissenters.

The consensus is that we should be extremely cautious. Dissenting voices are still useful though. 

Our restrictions are quite lax. As are those in the US and Brazil. Maybe you’d like to check the stats out for those places. 

Edited by Pettytom

20 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

.... Not to mention the thousands upon thousands of loved ones who will die.

I notice the emotive language, people still die regardless. I have had a break recently from SF because a best friend of mine died and so did a family member and both deaths had nothing to do with corona virus. The impact of that and not being able to go to their funerals and support others was very hard to deal with and I know I am not alone.

Thankfully, we have professional epidemiologists and virologists advising the government, rather than the amateurs plying their quack remedies on here.

What quack remedies have been posted on here?

One question... Who decided that the excess deaths should be compared to a 5 year average and why 5 years. Could it be that if you go back further and average out the mortality rate over say 10 or 20 years then it show that we are nowhere near those percentages of deaths even with the included corona virus cases we have now. 

Edited by apelike

14 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

There are as many professional epidemiologists and virologists  who are disagreeing,  yet the guv are choosing to ignore those  voices.
what if they are  right?  
have you not considered that?

What, these experts?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronvairus-dr-johnny-bananas-and-dr-person-fakename-among-medical-signatories-on-herd-immunity-open-letter-12099947

1 minute ago, apelike said:

I notice the emotive language, people still die regardless. I have had a break recently from SF because a best friend of mine died and so did a family member and both had noting to do with corona virus. The impact of that and not being able to go to their funerals and support others was very hard to deal with and I know I am not alone.

What quack remedies have been posted on here?

One question... Who decided that the excess deaths should be compared to a 5 year average and why 5 years. Could it be that if you go back further and average out the mortality rate over say 10 or 20 years then it show that we are nowhere near those percentages of deaths even with the included corona virus cases we have now. 

Why on earth would you want to compare mortality rates now to those of 20 years ago? I’d have though that the reason for 5 year interval was self evident.

Are you suggesting that you don’t believe that Covid kills people?

2 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Are you suggesting that you don’t believe that Covid kills people?

More emotive language.... :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, apelike said:

More emotive language.... :rolleyes:

No. Just a question.

Not that there is anything wrong with emotive language 

Edited by Pettytom