Jump to content


Coronavirus - Part Two.

Recommended Posts

I was shopping in the Home Bargain store today & noticed none of the staff were wearing facemasks although they were mixing with customers. I spoke to  one of the customers who wasn't wearing a mask. When I asked her she said she hadn't got one.

We keep hearing about the government fining people for ignoring the anti virus guidelines but how do shops carry on trading & completing ignoring their customers welfare by not having any guidelines  or just simpliy turn a blind eye to the actions of customers who blatantly are putting others health at risk.

If the government or local authorities  were keener with the store managers as a health & safety risk this would soon have a good effect. It would be interesting to read what opinions others have on this  post .  Happy Days! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I agree but it's not only shops. I went into town on the bus today and at least 4 people had masks on but had them pulled down under their chins. I can't see them point in that. Surely if they're aware of the need to wear a mask at least wear it properly. I worry that a lot of people are becoming very complacent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Longcol said:

How many billions have HMG thrown at "Track & Trace" - only to find that their main IT system appears to be an Excel spreadsheet.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/05/ministers-accused-of-putting-lives-at-risk-with-covid-data-error

 

Can you get any more incompetent?

Seeing as you can buy Excel for between about £60 and £130 I wonder who pocketed the rest of the money from the contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PopT said:

I was shopping in the Home Bargain store today & noticed none of the staff were wearing facemasks although they were mixing with customers. I spoke to  one of the customers who wasn't wearing a mask. When I asked her she said she hadn't got one.

We keep hearing about the government fining people for ignoring the anti virus guidelines but how do shops carry on trading & completing ignoring their customers welfare by not having any guidelines  or just simpliy turn a blind eye to the actions of customers who blatantly are putting others health at risk.

If the government or local authorities  were keener with the store managers as a health & safety risk this would soon have a good effect. It would be interesting to read what opinions others have on this  post .  Happy Days! 

 

Report them to the police. I believe they are keen to set some examples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Report them to the police. I believe they are keen to set some examples.

I think it would be better to have a word with the Store Manager/Manageress,  if your not pleased with the response,  mention your going to report it to their head office or the police. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Report them to the police. I believe they are keen to set some examples.

I just ask anyone unmasked to stand away from me.

 

To be fair, I don’t encounter too many anti-social types

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I read somewhere that individual police officers had targets they were supposed to meet for arrests/cautions etc.  If that is so, you would have thought that "soft" targets such as those not enforcing the rules/people not wearing masks (after asking for evidence that they are not exempt of course) would neatly get figures up to targets.  Ditto large groups of people people in/sitting outside pubs and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PopT said:

I was shopping in the Home Bargain store today & noticed none of the staff were wearing facemasks although they were mixing with customers. I spoke to  one of the customers who wasn't wearing a mask. When I asked her she said she hadn't got one.

We keep hearing about the government fining people for ignoring the anti virus guidelines but how do shops carry on trading & completing ignoring their customers welfare by not having any guidelines  or just simpliy turn a blind eye to the actions of customers who blatantly are putting others health at risk.

If the government or local authorities  were keener with the store managers as a health & safety risk this would soon have a good effect. It would be interesting to read what opinions others have on this  post .  Happy Days! 

 

This is so strange - I was in a Home Bargains yesterday (not a Sheffield branch)

 and the complete opposite was the case, All the staff had masks on and if anything were keeping their distance from customers. 

I think it is down to each branch manager by the look of things.

 

Keep safe

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Maybe you need to acknowledge that masks, distancing and hand hygiene are all simple, but effective steps in combating a serious threat to public health.

 

That, and the fact that unless we all act together, this thing will become even worse than it is now.

We are doing that. Sanitizer is absolutely everywhere. Masks on pretty much everyone. Distancing where possible. 

 

So what next? As mentioned in this thread plenty of times, industries are hanging by a thread. The BBC have reported half a million redundancies are likely to come. Entire sectors are at risk and to add to that the public are turning on each other even more so now their education, jobs, treatments and livelihoods are at stake. People are and will become desperate. 

 

If even 10% of those affected by redundancies (and I'm aware this is drastic) end up dying due to suicides or knock on effects from losing their jobs (homelessness, illnesses, lack of treatment) it will have killed more people than the virus has in the UK

 

Simply saying stick a mask on and wash your hands is not going to cut it, nor is locking down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tomm06 said:

We are doing that. Sanitizer is absolutely everywhere. Masks on pretty much everyone. Distancing where possible. 

 

So what next? As mentioned in this thread plenty of times, industries are hanging by a thread. The BBC have reported half a million redundancies are likely to come. Entire sectors are at risk and to add to that the public are turning on each other even more so now their education, jobs, treatments and livelihoods are at stake. People are and will become desperate. 

 

If even 10% of those affected by redundancies (and I'm aware this is drastic) end up dying due to suicides or knock on effects from losing their jobs (homelessness, illnesses, lack of treatment) it will have killed more people than the virus has in the UK

 

Simply saying stick a mask on and wash your hands is not going to cut it, nor is locking down. 

I think it will be an awful lot more than half a million. Small businesses (under 20) don’t have to do consultations for redundancy. Government seems happy to bin the arts off so that’s a lot of people signing on. 

 

But arguably, sticking a mask on, washing your hands and keeping your distance does work. What have Germany done that’s radically different? Their population (90%) have complied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think it will be an awful lot more than half a million. Small businesses (under 20) don’t have to do consultations for redundancy. Government seems happy to bin the arts off so that’s a lot of people signing on. 

 

But arguably, sticking a mask on, washing your hands and keeping your distance does work. What have Germany done that’s radically different? Their population (90%) have complied.

I mean I think anyone would find it difficult to disagree good sanitation is beneficial. The masks - well there seems to be mixed feelings on those it seems, depending on which studies or data sets you wish to believe. 

 

Even in spite of the entire country doing this we are still seeing tension and collapse of business and industry. In terms of hospitality and the arts etc the restrictions and the mask wearing is what is killing it. 

 

I'm pretty sure we have had this discussion before re: what can't you do with a mask on and after speaking to a considerable amount of friends/colleagues etc I've found that most if not all are just not interested in taking part in things like going for a pint or going to the cinema if everything is clinical and restricted. I would guess because as per the 'norm' we use these industries and businesses to try and relax, wind down or even enjoy ourselves. If the fun is taken away and the experiences are limited then it will die out. 

Edited by Tomm06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.