Coronavirus - Part Two.

10 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

You have my sympathies. I notice that all taxi drivers now also have to wear masks against their will. We live in crazy times :(

What do you mean by against their will?  Nobody's pointing a gun to their head.

They are doing a job. A job they get paid for. That will come with rules, licences and regulations that they have to abide by.

If they don't like it they have completely free will to leave and go find something else.

This is just another example of the sort of OTT emotive language being used on this thread which I was referencing earlier.   It completely eradicates any sensible, rational debate for either side of the argument when people start doing it.

This is supposed to be a serious subject which affects us all. Can we just quit with the constant exaggeration, misquoting, misinterpretation and over dramatic narrative. 

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

What do you mean by against their will?  Nobody's pointing a gun to their head.

I'm talking about the ones who don't want to wear the mask, many of who are supporting families and with few opportunities to move to a different job even in the best of times, which these certainly are not, as jobs are scarcer than ever, and, the new job would likely have mandetory masking anyway.

20 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

You have my sympathies. I notice that all taxi drivers now also have to wear masks against their will. We live in crazy times :(

Nice to see them dressed properly 

4 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

I'm talking about the ones who don't want to wear the mask, many of who are supporting families and with few opportunities to move to a different job even in the best of times, which these certainly are not, as jobs are scarcer than ever, and, the new job would likely have mandetory masking anyway.

Well, the simple solution is to wear a mask and crack on isn’t it?

8 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Well, the simple solution is to wear a mask and crack on isn’t it?

Of course, they either comply or lose their job, hence why they're wearing the mask 'against their will'.

2 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Of course, they either comply or lose their job, hence why they're wearing the mask 'against their will'.

Are they wearing seatbelts against their will?

For what it's worth ,I am near a very busy taxi drop off point .

The drivers were noticably wearing masks very early,likely picking up from the overseas students who lead the way.

33 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Its such a minor imposition that it is of no consequence.

31 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

The rules are there for good reason and need to be followed by everybody if we hope to beat the virus.

If the taxi drivers have families, then the mask rule is helping to protect those families.

Many rules govern our lives already which we might prefer  to ignore but society can only function well if we all comply.

36 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Are they wearing seatbelts against their will?

I don't know- you'd have to ask them. I have asked several about the masks, and they said they didn't want to wear them, and were doing so only because they would get fined or lose their job otherwise.

17 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

I doubt there are many people over 50 without some 'underlying health condition.' It's a very broad term and can mean just about anything from controlled high blood pressure to serious life limiting disease.

Do you think Athlete's foot might count?

4 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

I don't know- you'd have to ask them. I have asked several about the masks, and they said they didn't want to wear them, and were doing so only because they would get fined or lose their job otherwise.

So they are like everyone else then?