Coronavirus - Part Two.

4 hours ago, West 77 said:

The South African president's main concern is the damage that the travel bans will do to the South African economy than anything else.

You talk like that is something unreasonable ! ? ! Wanting to avoid excessive damage to his country's economy is extremely important, every bit as important as some vain attempt to hold back Covid, a virus whose death rate per infection was only between 1 in  100 and 1 in 200 even before vaccines..... He knows that any lives possibly saved through trying to suppress Covid will eb balanced out by lives lost (or cut short) by poverty.

But that is the problem with many people these days, they have no sense of proportion, all they're bothered about is how many people die, regardless of  the damage done to society by any measures trying (very inefficiently in my view) to suppress Covid, or, in fact, the age of those dying from Covid.

6 minutes ago, Becky B said:

Symptoms mild, but potentially more transmissible, thereby leading to greater risk fo fruther mutations which mey then have more severe symptoms

Getting the restrictions in early until more is known about the variant seems reasonable: it's what they didn't do first time round.

Not according to the 850 or so people registered with the Long Covid Hub,  I suppose.

Viruses usually get weaker as they mutate not stronger.

850 out 60 million, its not much of a thing is it.

2 hours ago, nikki-red said:

My friend/work colleague had covid 13 months ago. She still struggles and has reduced lung capacity.

I do not doubt it but the same applies to other viruses, and particularly for people with certain conditions, like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for instance :

People also suffer 'long flu', study shows
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58726775

I had a cough just after Xmas for about 2 or 3 months, I think that was "just" a throat infection.

3 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Viruses usually get weaker as they mutate not stronger.

850 out 60 million, its not much of a thing is it.

Idiot. Think about the people that are ill not your stupid agenda

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

since the person who discovered the variant is a doctor and refers to patients.....i think they were in hospital with it, ALTHOUGH the doctor apparently said they could be treated at home with it. we need time to see if that is indeed correct with everybody who catches it

She is  a GP and saw them in her surgery. She said all the infected had mild symptoms.

10 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

2.1 The covid measures have had a significant detrimental effect on the economy.

2.2 The covid measures have probably had a significant detrimental effect on domestic abuse and mental health.

I realise these are ambiguous and worry you, @onewheeldave might interpret them differently than I intend them.

Covid in Scotland: 'Test much more' plea after Omicron cases found

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59457332

Could someone please tell me why we are wasting Billions of pounds testing millions of people for a virus which (since vaccines) kills way less than 1 in  1000 infection. And most of those are people who decided not to get vaccianted.

Why can't more people see this is just madness with a capital M.

4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I do think about people who are ill thats why I'm not a total obssessive over a minor ailment that's being treated at the expense of everything else, take your 850 long covid sufferers and replace them with the 74,000 cancer sufferers highlighted by MacMillan, the cost to mental health will be immeasurable, I think of lots of people who are ill. 

Idiot.

Edited by top4718

11 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

>>Viruses usually get weaker as they mutate not stronger.<<

Err, he's right actually. Viruses do usually get more infectious but less deadly as they evolve. It's obvious if you think about it, the ideal virus would be highly infectious but have no symptoms at all. Actually that's wrong, it'd be highly infectious but influence the infected to be more sociable.

The last thing the virus wants is for its host to die, or spend all the time he/she is infected in bed and not meeting other people.....

1 hour ago, Carbuncle said:

So what about the excess mortality numbers the ONS produces, is that genuine? We have different views on the usefulness of 'deaths with covid' statistics but maybe we might agree that the excess mortality figures are good numbers.

Excess mortality.

Now there's a minefield.

That will include people whose health has suffered as a result of this pandemic.

Sorry, as  a result of the governments crude suppression policies.

That's more accurate.

Edited by Chekhov

6 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Excess mortality.

Now there's a minefield.

That will include people whose health has suffered as a result of this pandemic.

Sorry, as  a result of the governments crude suppression policies.

That's more accurate.

Forget the interpretation for a moment. Would you expect the ONS to have done a good job of preparing the statistic?

12 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Eugh! 

What a vile reply 🙄

1 minute ago, Carbuncle said:

Forget the interpretation for a moment. Would you expect the ONS to have done a good job of preparing the statistic?

Yes I do, but I am clarifying that stats can mean many things, it depends how they are presented...