Coronavirus - Part Two.

4 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

No, not for every PCR test sample but for a proportion. I do not remember what the proportion was but it surprised me just how many samples they were looking at. I think the UK was doing something like half of all the World's SARS-CoV-2 sequencing at one point.

24% according to some websites.

The Manaus variant, the Kent variant, the Delta variant, and now we've got the Omicron variant.

I note they are already starting to row back on some of these wild scaremongering headlines. But if Omicron does prove to be yet another over reaction will we accept what The Times said way back in March ? And, specifically, if it's all overblown yet again, why should we take any notice of these "experts" (Tom Peacock here) in future : "described by one scientist as "horrific","

The Times "Analysis" (1 Mar 21, p10) :
"Why should we not be too worried [about the Covid variants, incl the South African and Manaus variants] ?
One answer is that even if the vaccines don't stop infection they will provide strong protection against severe disease.
Never before have we had the tools to watch a virus evolve. This is a phenomenally powerful tool but
[it] can also cause unnecessary fear."

36 minutes ago, top4718 said:

He's the one that will have been paid off 🤣

oh yes of course.

tbh i thought he mightve actually resonated with you because hes said things that agree with your narrative and not wholly with mine, but because hes not wholly a "conspiracy theorist" hes "paid off" :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, butlers said:

Once rare, lung transplants for COVID-19 patients are rising quickly

https://flip.it/hNbCJs

It'll be an exaggerated scare. just like "Long Covid" :

People also suffer 'long flu', study shows

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58726775

People who have fallen ill with flu can suffer long-term symptoms in a similar way to long Covid, a study suggests.

The Oxford University research analysed health records of people diagnosed with flu and Covid, mainly in the US.

The two groups - both with just over 100,000 patients - included people seeking healthcare for symptoms three to six months after infection.

These included problems such as anxiety, abnormal breathing, fatigue and headaches.

There were signs that Covid patients were more likely to have long-term symptoms - 42% had at least one symptom recorded compared with 30% in the flu group.

OMG ! After all that scaremongering, is that really the best they can do ? : Covid can give 42% symptoms (however mild) whereas with Flu it's "only" 30%.
Certainly worth changing the whole of society to avoid, not.

But even that comparatively minor difference "could have been influenced by the fact that people may be more likely to seek care for long-term symptoms [for Covid] or the way symptoms are recorded for Covid."

Really ?

After all this obsessive publicity and scaremongering about Long Covid ?

Surely not.

4 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

It'll be an exaggerated scare. just like "Long Covid" :

People also suffer 'long flu', study shows

People who have fallen ill with flu can suffer long-term symptoms in a similar way to long Covid, a study suggests.

The Oxford University research analysed health records of people diagnosed with flu and Covid, mainly in the US.

The two groups - both with just over 100,000 patients - included people seeking healthcare for symptoms three to six months after infection.

These included problems such as anxiety, abnormal breathing, fatigue and headaches.

There were signs that Covid patients were more likely to have long-term symptoms - 42% had at least one symptom recorded compared with 30% in the flu group.

OMG ! After all that scaremongering, is that really the best they can do ? : Covid can give 42% symptoms (however mild) whereas with Flu it's "only" 30%.
Certainly worth changing the whole of society to avoid, not.

But even that comparatively minor difference "could have been influenced by the fact that people may be more likely to seek care for long-term symptoms [for Covid] or the way symptoms are recorded for Covid."

Really ?

After all this obsessive publicity and scaremongering about Long Covid ?

Surely not.

I said ages ago that Long Covid would disappear as soon as the Furlough Scheme ended 🤣

Edited by top4718

15 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

Hang on ... we know very little about the new variant. Some anecdotes from one medic does not really cut it. We can't say it's serious or mild.

What we know is it has spread in Southern Africa and that it has a lot of mutations including in areas targeted by the vaccine.

Frankly, I do not buy the idea that the mask changes are to do with the new variant. I think it is being used as an excuse. The travel restrictions do make sense in terms of the new variant.

No they don't. No variant has been kept out by the travel restrictions, it's purely a comfort blanket to make people feel safer and think "the government are doing something to protect me".

But all these suppression measures will not increase confidence, they will just have the opposite effect.

What is really dangerous is that many people are becoming desensitised to all this madness and thinking it's normal.

From August this year :

Bloodstock: Heavy metal fans emotional at festival's return

"I think the whole rock community realises how privileged they are to have a festival this year."

WHAT ! ! !

They feel "privileged" to be able to do something the human race has been able to do for thousands of years !

How can anyone say the world is not going stark staring MAD and it's very very worrying.

7 minutes ago, top4718 said:

I said ages ago that Long Covid would disappear as soon as the Furlough Scheme ended 🤣

Like it !

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

International experts don't know how effective the current covid vaccines are against the new variant which is the main reason why the new restrictions have been put in place. 

If they overreact like this every time a "new variant" is discovered we'll be in this nightmare forever.

ENOUGH !

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

The South African president's main concern is the damage that the travel bans will do to the South African economy than anything else.

Rightly so, they are quite advanced in SA with regards to sequencing so they are one of the places where new variants are highly likely to be discovered, that doesn't mean it originated there just that it's been found, so to punish them is very unfair and could lead to them not sharing data in the future.

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Has long Covid disappeared?

For anyone that would only be able to claim SSP if they "have" it, then yes, it most certainly will have.

3 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Rightly so, they are quite advanced in SA with regards to sequencing so they are one of the places where new variants are highly likely to be discovered, that doesn't mean it originated there just that it's been found, so to punish them is very unfair and could lead to them not sharing data in the future.

It's not a punishment. We had the same discussion when the alpha/ UK/ Kent variant was spotted and various countries shutdown travel from the UK.

If you want to solve the perverse incentives problem then perhaps we should create a prize fund of say $1bn and whichever country identifies the next variant of concern gets the prize as well as the probable fall out of having their borders closed sharpish.

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Omicron is an anagram of moronic.  Wake up sheeple!

It is quite apt!

Personally I don't think there is some shadowy conspiracy group behind this public fear campaign [rather that it is a natural consequence of the huge over growth of bureaucracy combined with a public eager to believe any old crap passed on to them by authorities and media], but, if there were, they couldn't be playing this one any better than they are :)