Coronavirus - Part Two.

Not at all there were two deaths yesterday reported in the press where it's highly likely a reaction to the vaccine was the cause

5 minutes ago, butlers said:

Not at all there were two deaths yesterday reported in the press where it's highly likely a reaction to the vaccine was the cause

Have a read through this thread and you'll find plenty of denial.

I think denial might include anyone who thinks less people died in 2020 than the pre pandemic year of 2019 because they had " seen a graph"

Even more so when they post a list to that effect which showed a 9% higher total 

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

No, I got the data from New Scientist, I think they got it from China, which at that time, I seem to remember, was about 40,000 deaths. I tried to find the actual page, but could not in the time I was prepared to spend on this.

As it happens we still think the BBC / Imperial Colleg est of the death rates was correct, somewhere between 1 in 100 and 1 in 200. But, and this is very interesting, that is for this country, or a similar wealthy western country. The death rate for developing countries is much lower because their populations are younger.

The exception to that is Peru. Their death rate is by far the highest in the world despite their average population age being only 31. Very inconveniently for those advocating mask mandates Peru has had a mask mandate (including outside ! ) from the very start, and now they require "one KN95 mask or one three-layer surgical mask and a cloth mask on top of it", it hasn't helped has it ?

So you based your advice to your son on data which might be limited in how applicable it was to the the UK? DId you know it was the same variant in the UK, in March 2020, did you know the effects of geographical/racial differences, did you consider the data was very time-limited. And then despite all that, you concluded, in mid-March 2020 that the risk to your son was zero?

Remind me to ignore any judgements you make on here.

8 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Have a read through this thread and you'll find plenty of denial.

You still haven't "Come back to me", to quote yourself, on who is classifying me as unvaccinated. Should be an easy one to answer, surely.

53 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

You're arguing with another straw man. Travel restrictions can delay the arrival of a variant and the number of arrivals and that has value. Though, yes, things do have to be kept in proportion.

Not much value, and certainly not worthwhile for the massive inconvenience and cost of it all.

10 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

The point is that the risk of death posed to different age groups in the UK was highly uncertain in mid March 2020. It has changed over time. It is different for different populations. It is still uncertain but better understood now than then.

No it hasn't, it has been remarkably consistent. The graphic I put on (and have done again below) is dated March 2020, that's 2020, not 2021. It was always the case that Covid is NOT indiscriminate and I was shocked that so many otherwise intelligent people just accepted that cobblers from the government when they said "this virus is indiscriminate". I can remember hearing it at their Covid briefing (I think it was the deputy chief medical officer Dr Jenny Harries ) who said it and I was so shocked at "the powers that be" coming out with a bare faced lie that I nearly crashed the car.....

_111409162_corona_cases-nc.png 

You are right that is is different for different populations primarily because different populations have different age profiles, and different levels of obesity. But, for the UK's population, which is what we are interested as regards UK Covid strategy, it has remained fairly consistent all the way through.

Edited by Chekhov

21 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

So you based your advice to your son on data which might be limited in how applicable it was to the the UK? DId you know it was the same variant in the UK, in March 2020, did you know the effects of geographical/racial differences, did you consider the data was very time-limited. And then despite all that, you concluded, in mid-March 2020 that the risk to your son was zero?

Remind me to ignore any judgements you make on here.

I saw the stats from China and was certain they'd be the same here, which they proved to be very quickly (see graphic, dated 16th March, in the above post). You seem to be lacking confidence in my Covid "judgements" because I was correct ? ! ?

Edited by Chekhov

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I saw the stats from China and was certain they'd be the same here, which they proved to be very quickly (see graphic in the above post). You seem to be criticising me for being correct ? ! ?

Nope, just interested to know how you knew they'd be the same, other than guessing/hoping? Only in hindsight were you correct.

If you can outline the scientific process, it would inform the discussion.

Edited by Bargepole23

8 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Nope, just interested to know how you knew they'd be the same, other than guessing/hoping? Only in hindsight were you correct.

Because we are all human beings, and there isn't that much difference between us all, which was the correct call to make. It wasn't just China, no children from any other country had died of Covid up to that time. And, incidentally, very very few kids without serious existing conditions have died of Covid in this country either. In fact very few children even with serious existing conditions have died, though every child death really is a tragedy, unlike someone in their mid 80s, which is sad for their family but hardly a tragedy. Mid 80s is still a reasonable age even these days, and the average age of a Covid death in this country is (it certainly was until recently) 82.4 years old.

Risk of death [from Covid] for a child 1 in 500,000 :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57766717

Edited by Chekhov

10 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

The point is that the risk of death posed to different age groups in the UK was highly uncertain in mid March 2020. It has changed over time. It is different for different populations. It is still uncertain but better understood now than then.

Error, duplicated post.

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Carbuncle said:

@Chekhov , this is ridiculous. You are attributing things to us we have never said. You are arguing with strawmen.

Not sure what you mean TBH, but I'll tell you what is absolutely ridiculous, apparently all the kids in my lad's year group (8 years old) at school have been told they have to take  a PCT test whether or not they have any symptoms. This is disproportionate nonsense and I am sick to death of it, I wonder whether Gregg "over reaction" Fell has anything to do with it ? 

Let's just look at the facts :

1 - Kids are at no risk from Covid, in  fact it could even be arguable it would be beneficial for them to catch Covid whilst they were young, like Chicken Pox.

2 - Most of their parents even if unvaccinated would be in little danger from Covid because nearly all would be under 50 and the great majority under 40, BUT they have almost certainly all been vaccinated (or at least offered the vaccine) anyway ! And therefore are at very small risk of even hospitalisation much less death.

3 - Taking a child for a PCT test is a time wasting PITA and not pleasant for the child either.

What is is going on ?

Who is driving all this bull**** ?

When is the world going to wake up from this utter UTTER madness ?

Edited by Chekhov