Coronavirus - Part Two.

It’s a shame that you conflate several issues and subscribe to the supposed hidden agenda behind vaccines.

My position is based solely on medical matters.

I have no great respect for many politicians and governments but I never have done.

What has changed is the easy access to whatever information you seek on the internet and social media and the platform that is available to everybody .

It’s a very mixed blessing.

8 hours ago, top4718 said:

Remember when "conspiracy theorists" mentioned all this being a lead in to digital ID's and social credit system, the Government has announced that its bringing in a "wristband" and a points based reward system for exercise, healthy eating etc.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................................

Links please

2 hours ago, Delayed said:

Links please

Credible links preferably 😂😂

*edit*

Fair enough - one provided, thank you.

Edited by whiteowl

2 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

Credible links preferably 😂😂

*edit*

Fair enough - one provided, thank you.

You think some of the links provided by the Covid cult on here are credible???

20 hours ago, top4718 said:

There's a lot of logic in this [letting people at low risk form Covid catch it], you can't beat natural immunity and letting the virus rip through people who have the best chance of recovery (people under 75) was obviously (with hindsight) the best approach.

Healthy people under about 45, yes definitely.

People between that age and about 60 would probably work pretty well too.

Over that, esp over 70, poss not so well.

The fact is that chances of death from Covid are heavily dependent on age, the government saying early in this pandemic "this virus is indiscriminate" was misinformation every bit as dishonest as some of the stuff you hear from anti vaxxers. Though we must be careful not to generalise here, young people who decide not to get vaxxed because they are at no significant risk from Covid and they worry there might be some long term negative side effect to vaccination are being perfectly rational. Them getting vaxxed will make no significant difference anyway as vaccines are not that effective at stopping transmission.

There is one group that making any significant effort to prevent infection in is irrational. Healthy kids are at no risk from Covid death (or as near to zero as it is possible to be without actually being zero), there is an argument it would be better for them to catch it when it is no risk to them, like chicken pox for instance. When I was forced to test our lad (he had a cold...) in order for him to return to school I was half hoping he did have Covid, though it would have made life awkward for my wife and I by us being forced to self isolate. I think at that stage you had to self isolate even if vaccinated if someone in your household had Covid.

England-Covid-deaths-of-over-and-under-6

Edited by Chekhov

11 hours ago, top4718 said:

Remember when "conspiracy theorists" mentioned all this being a lead in to digital ID's and social credit system, the Government has announced that its bringing in a "wristband" and a points based reward system for exercise, healthy eating etc.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................................

There is some logic to this. If the government want to alter our behaviour as regards Covid, in order to either save lives or "protect the NHS" ( I thought they were supposed to protect us ? ), then "encouraging" us to be fitter and/or slimmer and/or stop smoking etc would make far more difference than trying to get people vaccinated against Covid.

There is no logic to it, a glorified pedometer isn't going to help people lose weight or stop them stuffing their faces. Nanny sate nonsense. The price of cigarettes has more to do with stopping people smoking than any other measure. Perhaps they should tax those (advertised as healthy) sugar laden smoothies out of existence too.

To combat obesity, people need to know the calories they are consuming. Everything you buy in a supermarket should have the calorie count in 1 inch high letters prominently displayed, not hidden away on the back, or obfuscated with misleading calories per portion figures. Step count does nothing to prevent obesity.

Edited by fools

14 hours ago, Kidorry said:

I just gave my experience and not other peoples. And don`t be so clever.

In the context of replying to someone pointing out that lockdowns had had very negative effects on cancer treatments

19 hours ago, Kidorry said:

All my cancer appointments have gone the same as before so I don`t know where tops get his information from. Probably makes it up like all his comments

which is invalid [as reasoning] because the fact that you've been lucky is totally irrelevant to the reality that many, many people have missed out on cancer diagnoses and treatment due to the lockdowns. 

Anyway, if you looked at the link I posted, from the Lancet, you will now be aware that there is plenty of data out there showing that a lot of people lost access to cancer diagnoses and treatment during lockdown.

Edited by onewheeldave

1 hour ago, top4718 said:

On the positive side, when it comes to covid, improving the health and habits of the general population should be an absolute priority.

That would also help minimise many of the 'lifestyle diseases' like type 2 diabetes, obesity, CHD etc, which are leading 'underlying conditions' that greatly increase morbidity with covid.

Whether anything the govt come out with in terms of 'apps' and wristbands will be of much use seems doubtful, but, even if it gets some of the sheep to walk a bit more and think about the amount of junk they put into themselves, it should help.

Hopefully it will bring into the covid debate that which has been severely lacking- a focus on the how our nations abysmal public health has been a huge contributing factor in the covid mortality statistics.

Edited by onewheeldave

"No10 will consider scrapping Covid tests for ALL travellers in January as aviation minister says he wants to see travel industry 'bounce back' from pandemic"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10230745/No10-consider-scrapping-Covid-tests-travellers-January.html

Not that travel restrictions have achieved anything at all anyway, other then inconveniencing millions of people and pandering to fear and ignorance.

Even AUS couldn't keep out the Delta variant, and, in any case, vaccines are effective at stopping serious illness with all known variants of Covid. These are just facts.

Edited by Chekhov

The Left's Covid failure - UnHerd

Interesting essay on how the Left's attitude to Covid suppression with a very good analysis of the Left's support of COVID measures, and in particular reasons as to why they seem to support interventions that [negatively] affect the working class most,

Extract :

As writers who have always positioned ourselves on the Left, we are disturbed at this turn of events. Is there really no progressive criticism to be made about the quarantining of healthy individuals, when the latest research suggests there is a vanishingly small difference in terms of transmission between the vaccinated and the unvaccinated? The Left’s response to Covid now appears as part of a broader crisis in Left-wing politics and thought — one which has been going on for three decades at least. So it’s important to identify the process through which this has taken shape.

In sum, decades of political polarisation instantly politicised a public health issue, without allowing any discussion as to what a coherent Left response would be. At the same time, the Left’s position distanced it from any kind of working-class base, since low-income workers were the most severely affected by the socio-economic impacts of continued lockdown policies, and were also those most likely to be out working while the laptop class benefitted from Zoom. These same political fault lines emerged during the vaccine roll-out, and now during the Covid passports phase. Resistance associates with the Right, while those on the mainstream Left are generally supportive of both measures. Opposition is demonised as a confused mixture of anti-science irrationalism and individualistic libertarianism.

Edited by Chekhov