Coronavirus - Part Two.

59 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Just getting it off my chest, I am sure some have good GPs

I have an excellent GP.  Getting to see him involves going through the Practice Admin people who often get things wrong, and put barriers up to restrict access to him and his colleagues.  Things only get sorted out on the rare occasions I get through to see him.  Covid has also given them an excuse to try to force people NOT to see the GP face-to-face - rather sort issues by phone and video appointment (for those with such resources).  Is this going to change with opening up? NO comes the resounding response from the admin people, who prefer it as it is with fewer people in their building.  You thought GP surgeries were for the public?  Ha HA!!!

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I have an excellent GP.  Getting to see him involves going through the Practice Admin people who often get things wrong, and put barriers up to restrict access to him and his colleagues.  Things only get sorted out on the rare occasions I get through to see him.  Covid has also given them an excuse to try to force people NOT to see the GP face-to-face - rather sort issues by phone and video appointment (for those with such resources).  Is this going to change with opening up? NO comes the resounding response from the admin people, who prefer it as it is with fewer people in their building.  You thought GP surgeries were for the public?  Ha HA!!!

Where do you think the admin people get their instructions from?

44 minutes ago, sibon said:

I think you can see a reduction in the rate of increase of infections in the U.K. data as a whole.

Agreed but one does have to be careful because there are limits on testing capacity. Newsnight reported that people were waiting longer for test results.

Here's an example with made up numbers: suppose the turnaround time for test results is now 48 hours where it had been 24 hours all the time up to a week ago. In other words: testing has done six days of tests in the last seven days. If cases had actually increased by 40% over the week ... we would only 'see' a 20% rise in reported cases because 6/7 * 140% = 120%.

I don't have actual numbers for any of this and I did not catch Newsnight's source but still I worry that the encouraging trend in the UK's numbers you have mentioned may be partly or wholly artifact.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Where do you think the admin people get their instructions from?

Not the Doctors, that's clear.  I think of the admin as some sort of self-perpetuating managerial elite running the surgery as their empire, employing the Doctors and grudgingly allowing mere mortals to contact them as they see fit.

12 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Not the Doctors, that's clear.  I think of the admin as some sort of self-perpetuating managerial elite running the surgery as their empire, employing the Doctors and grudgingly allowing mere mortals to contact them as they see fit.

You do know that GP's are employers of the admin staff I hope.

4 minutes ago, Longcol said:

You do know that GP's are employers of the admin staff I hope.

Yes - but from where I am, it looks as if my Doctor has as much trouble as I do getting through to the Admin staff, even when fulfilling prescriptions that Doctors have signed and approved is surely a simple clerical function for them!

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Yes - but from where I am, it looks as if my Doctor has as much trouble as I do getting through to the Admin staff, even when fulfilling prescriptions that Doctors have signed and approved is surely a simple clerical function for them!

That's your doctors fault if s/he can't manage their employees.

Edited by Longcol

Yes, two countries who have done the exact opposite which isnt a great strategy either.

Guest sibon
21 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes, two countries who have done the exact opposite which isnt a great strategy either.

No. That’s two international sports teams refusing to come to the U.K. because it is too dangerous.

More than a little embarrassing 

2 minutes ago, sibon said:

No. That’s two international sports teams refusing to come to the U.K. because it is too dangerous.

More than a little embarrassing 

Thats some creative summarising there, it wasnt the only reason. The fact they would have to stay in a hotel for 14 days on return and player mental health concerns about constantly being in bubbles were also cited, strange you chose to ignore those bits.

Also interesting that the Union counterparts seemingly have no issue with coming to the UK around the same time to play in meaningless friendlies.

As I have said before, the Aussies and NZ-ers are screwed. No exit plan, no appetite from its citizens to have the jab, they cant keep borders closed for ever nor can they force their citizens to stay at home for ever for the sake of a handful of cases.  Mass civil unrest down there can't be far off.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Guest sibon
18 hours ago, sibon said:

I’ll message my sister in law in Fitzroy.

She should have the correct info. You’d hope so anyway.

On 21/07/2021 at 10:51, HeHasRisen said:

They literally have no exit plan, they cant keep doing this to their citizens for ever. They have even shut construction sites, and people in Melbourne who are deemed close contacts of people who may have it are not even allowed to open their windows at home, its absolutely bonkers. 

22 hours ago, butlers said:

It would be ridiculous to police but it's NOT true.

Actually the .gov site is very plain about how you should behave in isolation and good hygiene practices.

I know the quotes are in reverse order, but I have news from Fitzroy.

Opening windows is not prohibited, so there was either a mistake from the minister, or a mishearing from the radio listener.

Additional news from Fitzroy. It’s freezing, why would you want to open your windows?