Coronavirus - Part Two.

7 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Dropped by 2 years. 

That is a very interesting number. I don't suppose you remember where you read it.

Guest sibon
17 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Perhaps not.

Covid is the underlying cause of death in 92% of cases where it's mentioned on the death certificate.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/whetherthosewhohavediedfromacaraccidentwithcovid19willbecountedinonsstatistics?:uri=aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/whetherthosewhohavediedfromacaraccidentwithcovid19willbecountedinonsstatistics

"The doctor or coroner certifying a death can record more than one health condition or event on the form. The medical certificate of cause of death has two parts, Part 1 contains the sequence of health conditions or events leading directly to death, while Part 2 can contain other health conditions that contributed to the death but were not part of the direct sequence. For statistical purposes one of the health conditions on the certificate is chosen as the 'underlying cause of death'. The underlying cause of death is defined as the health condition or event that started the train of events leading to death and is worked out according to rules from the World Health Organisation (WHO). COVID-19 is the underlying cause of death in around 92% of deaths where it was mentioned on the death certificate."

There’s no point in keeping on posting that. The people who need to read it don’t seem to have the attention span to get to the end of it.

Do you have it as a YouTube?  Preferably an American one, with portentous music.

22 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Ridiculous. We don't have appalling health in the West, we have the diseases associated with living long lives in a time of plenty (for us).

18 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Part of the civilised West inclused italy how have decent healthcare system, And live - on average a full 5 years longer than Americans (although based on 2020 numbers it could be 7). They got hit hard with covid.

15 minutes ago, butlers said:

Think the US had the biggest life expectancy fall since the second world war?

Longevity ain't health. Longevity is mainly associated with keeping ill, priveliged westeners alive as long as possible with drugs.

Obesity, type 2 diabetes, CHD etc, mainly caused by affluent western lifestyle and bad diet, are at their highest levels, and far exceed the levels in poorer nations- the fact that those obese, diabetic, CHD ridden individuals are kept alive for record durations with the use of symptom management drugs, does not mean they are healthy- far from it.

If the poorer nations weren't subject to oppression, mosquitos and lack of access to clean water, they'd not only be more healthy than the average westener, but probably live longer too, despite having far less access to modern medical care.

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

NY times link here showing a drop. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/us/american-life-expectancy-report.html

I read it elsewhere but can't remember where.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, onewheeldave said:

Longevity ain't health.

I didn't say it was ... but to get the diseases we get you have to avoid dying of all the other nasties and thus live long enough to suffer from them.

1 hour ago, Carbuncle said:

Ridiculous. We don't have appalling health in the West, we have the diseases associated with living long lives in a time of plenty (for us).

It has taken me over 2 weeks to be able to see a GP,  not sure if that is made worse by COVID, but it has been difficult for some time. Even then its only a telephone call.

Capitalism does work with taxis and take-aways, call those and they will be here within an hour.

The 111 service are on the end of a telephone within a short time, why not GPs?

4 minutes ago, El Cid said:

It has taken me over 2 weeks to be able to see a GP,  not sure if that is made worse by COVID, but it has been difficult for some time. Even then its only a telephone call.

Capitalism does work with taxis and take-aways, call those and they will be here within an hour.

The 111 service are on the end of a telephone within a short time, why not GPs?

I am not sure but it looks like there may be a misunderstanding. I wasn't saying we have good healthcare or advocating capitalism as a way of organising healthcare. I was saying we (as a civilization?) do not have 'appalling health'.

Edited by Carbuncle

2 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

I am not sure but it looks like there may be a misunderstanding. I wasn't saying we have good healthcare or advocating capitalism as a way of organising healthcare. I was saying we (as a civilization?) do not have 'appalling health'.

Just getting it off my chest, I am sure some have good GPs

1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

Longevity ain't health. Longevity is mainly associated with keeping ill, priveliged westeners alive as long as possible with drugs.

Obesity, type 2 diabetes, CHD etc, mainly caused by affluent western lifestyle and bad diet, are at their highest levels, and far exceed the levels in poorer nations- the fact that those obese, diabetic, CHD ridden individuals are kept alive for record durations with the use of symptom management drugs, does not mean they are healthy- far from it.

If the poorer nations weren't subject to oppression, mosquitos and lack of access to clean water, they'd not only be more healthy than the average westener, but probably live longer too, despite having far less access to modern medical care.

Strange that there are a lot more fit healthy 70+ years olds about than when I was younger.

8 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Strange that there are a lot more fit healthy 70+ years olds about than when I was younger.

Indeed. And if you have a look at the average life expectancy article in America a page or two back suggests that life expectancy is lower still in black and especially Hispanic communities. I wonder if one wheel Dave thinks it's recent immigration that's keeping that number from being even lower?

The data from Scotland is definitely looking good. The daily case counts seem to have peaked about three weeks ago and there now seems to be support in the daily deaths data which look like they too may have peaked. From the timeline of Scottish restrictions this would suggest they achieved "herd immunity" under their level 1 set of restrictions about three weeks ago. I do not believe the rest of the UK, apart perhaps from London, can therefore be far from "herd immunity" (under Scottish level 1 restrictions). I exclude London because of course there is nowhere in Scotland that resembles London for population density.

I think this means that if the epidemic in England excluding London, say were to get too hot in the next two or three weeks then we would only need to drop back to the equivalent of Scotland's level 1 to bring things under control.

Scotland moved to level 0 restrictions on the 19th July. It will be interesting to see if their epidemic reignites or they also have "herd immunity" at level 0.

Scotland data: https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/phs.covid.19/viz/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Scottish protection levels: https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-protection-levels/

Scottish timeline: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_COVID-19_pandemic_in_Scotland_(2021)

Guest sibon
5 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

The data from Scotland is definitely looking good. The daily case counts seem to have peaked about three weeks ago and there now seems to be support in the daily deaths data which look like they too may have peaked. From the timeline of Scottish restrictions this would suggest they achieved "herd immunity" under their level 1 set of restrictions about three weeks ago. I do not believe the rest of the UK, apart perhaps from London, can therefore be far from "herd immunity" (under Scottish level 1 restrictions). I exclude London because of course there is nowhere in Scotland that resembles London for population density.

I think this means that if the epidemic in England excluding London, say were to get too hot in the next two or three weeks then we would only need to drop back to the equivalent of Scotland's level 1 to bring things under control.

Scotland moved to level 0 restrictions on the 19th July. It will be interesting to see if their epidemic reignites or they also have "herd immunity" at level 0.

Scotland data: https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/phs.covid.19/viz/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Scottish protection levels: https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-protection-levels/

Scottish timeline: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_COVID-19_pandemic_in_Scotland_(2021)

I think you can see a reduction in the rate of increase of infections in the U.K. data as a whole. We have over half the population fully vaxxed, another 20%ish part vaxxed , 10% have had it and the non-sheeple are all taking part in Boris’ Covid party experiment.

Pretty soon, the virus is going to need a new set of spikes, or it will have nowhere to go.

We already know that second and subsequent infections tend to be much less severe. So, here’s hoping.

Edited by sibon