Coronavirus - Part Two.

My carer has just been pinged for the 3rd time, she has isolated twice already, twenty days with no support, now possibly another ten days, she is now going to delete the app, but i was planning on havingday trips this week with her,  its just crazy and faith in the system is being lost

The most ridiculous thing about the pingdemic is the fact that the government has known or should have known this was coming for two months. The growth in cases was already easily anticipated when they considered moving to stage 3 (?) and visible in the data in late May. They entered into this strategy knowing cases were going to explode. The pingdemic was entirely predictable. I don't know whether the herd immunity strategy is reasonable, but the failure to plan for things that should have emerged during 'wargaming' exercises is really disconcerting.

Missing the pingdemic suggests to me they will have failed to plan for other more serious issues. For example, is the monitoring of the epidemic sufficiently good to detect if we need to switch to plan B and is there actually a plan B? Saying it's irreversible is after all just a slogan.

Guest makapaka

Been out and about between here and Mansfield this morning - stopped at services - called at crookes. 

would say proportion of mask wearing etc same as usual

21 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think it might be different for businesses? Not sure. Mother got pinged and she's got the NHS ringing umpteen times a day.

If I got pinged in the next week, it would cost me thousands, so I haven't got it, and I won't get it. I played the last 16 months with a very straight bat but I'm double jabbed, happy to social distance and taking the work offered. 

If she has the NHS actually ringing her then thats different, someone must either have given her details to Track and Trace as a close contact, or your mother went for a test and it was positive.

Trust me, nobody rings you if ONLY the app tells you.

I absolutely can't believe the incompetence of this Govt, Corbyn and Co, for all their failings and wokery they would have done much better, especially with the NHS. less rubbish private test and trace, etc.

35 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

I absolutely can't believe the incompetence of this Govt, Corbyn and Co, for all their failings and wokery they would have done much better, especially with the NHS. less rubbish private test and trace, etc.

First wave: every component ( Govt, SAGE, NHS, PHE, ...) failed.

Second wave: Boris failure. Tens of thousands died of people died who didn't need to die because he (Boris) would not be told the consequences of exponential growth and had to go see for himself. 'Oh, yeah, now I see what you meant when you said if we let it double then double again and again how we would pretty soon get into trouble.'

Throughout the rest of the period we have learned as you say the incompetence of government ... although I think I would include more than just the politicians in this.

Edited by Carbuncle

55 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

If she has the NHS actually ringing her then thats different, someone must either have given her details to Track and Trace as a close contact, or your mother went for a test and it was positive.

Trust me, nobody rings you if ONLY the app tells you.

Shes come back from holiday but it was from a green list. She had phone calls from Friday but had only done the test on Friday. Got pinged and a email on Sunday.  Phone calls have stopped, and no messages left.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Been out and about between here and Mansfield this morning - stopped at services - called at crookes. 

would say proportion of mask wearing etc same as usual

We're not long back from the city centre.  Fargate is busy but The Moor is absolutely rammed, like a Saturday afternoon.  Agree though that most of the people you see, especially in shops are still wearing face coverings. 

I know they keep saying that the vaccines are the game changer but heard this morning that this time last year, the numbers infected, hospitalised & dying from Covid were much lower than those reported yesterday. 

It'll be interesting to see the numbers by say, the end of the first week in August?

6 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

It'll be interesting to see the numbers by say, the end of the first week in August?

Cases: 100k per day

Deaths: 140 per day

Hospitalizations: 2000 per day

... all 7 day averages.

I am not making a prediction here though I think these numbers are plausible ... but hypothetically what judgement would you make based on these numbers?

Donny up to 729 cases per 100,000.Thats its highest ever rate.( In mass testing period)

It's not that many weeks back Sheffield was at  34.

Boris doing a presser at 5 pm

Edited by butlers

Boris is giving a statement to the nation at 5:00 this evening from Chequers, where he is isolating.

I'm sure all will become clearer :|

41 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Shes come back from holiday but it was from a green list. She had phone calls from Friday but had only done the test on Friday. Got pinged and a email on Sunday.  Phone calls have stopped, and no messages left.

Right so its as a result of a test then, or someone on the plane has tested positive.  My original point about anyone who ONLY gets a notification from the app still stands, and wouldnt be surprised if employers are suggesting to their employees to delete it.