Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

We’re all part of a herd immunity programme now folks.

let’s hope it works.

Although despite daily cases approaching Jan / Feb levels, people in hospital with covid are about 9% of Jan / Feb figures and deaths are a tiny fraction of the same period.

But  HMG is falling well below its vaccination target - and it's vaccination that's largely led to the above reductions, so yes we are moving to a herd immunity experiment.

Guest sibon
4 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Although despite daily cases approaching Jan / Feb levels, people in hospital with covid are about 9% of Jan / Feb figures and deaths are a tiny fraction of the same period.

But  HMG is falling well below its vaccination target - and it's vaccination that's largely led to the above reductions, so yes we are moving to a herd immunity experiment.

I think that’s the calculation. There aren’t enough young folk getting vaccinated, so the government have shifted to a policy of forcing them to catch it.

I’m hoping that it all turns out ok. Especially as the at risk group are those who have sacrificed the most over the last 18 months.

9 minutes ago, Longcol said:

When the decision was made back in May we already had a large proportion of the population vaccinated so it was already known we needed to make up a 'herd immunity deficit' with infections.

It may cost tens of thousands of lives but the alternative would probably have been to have a deeper vaccination programme involving kids and wait for that to complete and possibly we might have needed another booster for at least part of the population.

Not that Boris thought about such things, he just wanted to get covid done.

Great pinged PM and Chancellor had to back down from ‘taking part in trial ‘ and will now self isolate alongside many workers whose absence is affecting many businesses. After all ‘we’re all in this  together ‘!!!!

11 minutes ago, sibon said:

Especially as the at risk group are those who have sacrificed the most over the last 18 months.

Yep, the NPIs completed screwed the young. And don't forget they still have the economic consequences to look forward to.

8 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Really? 

That would be awesome to be able to do that all day. Instead I waste my day caring form my disabled son and my daughter with her learning disabilities. 

Please don't judge others by your own unhygienic standards 👍

Daddy, I've met you in real life at forum meets, you're a decent chap, and I know you are opinionated, that's cool... so are most people.

But since no one else on the your side of the debate will answer this question... I wonder if you will answer 

If for example, you needed some work in the house, say a radiator leaking, and I could fix radiators,... if I rang you and told you I had tested positive, and was coughing a lot, would you allow me in your home with you and your family, to fix your radiator?

Simple question, I'm not trying to trick you, or anyone, but no one on your side of the discussion will answer me this very very simple question! 

Sheffield Online posted a video of a queue outside a nightclub last night/this morning, the bedwetting in the comments a sight to behold. 

Not my scene anymore but fair play, they havent been able to go for 16 months, give them a break ffs.

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Sheffield Online posted a video of a queue outside a nightclub last night/this morning, the bedwetting in the comments a sight to behold. 

Not my scene anymore but fair play, they havent been able to go for 16 months, give them a break ffs.

I don't blame the kids and I don't blame the club owners who have hardly earnt a penny in 16 months. 

Not sure it's going to last, not sure it should have been allowed but its been allowed and if I was 19 I'd queued round the block to get in.

Edited by tinfoilhat

Thats the issue. WHEN do you think they should have been allowed to reopen, its been 16 months!

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Thats the issue. WHEN do you think they should have been allowed to reopen, its been 16 months!

As someone who needs crowds for their business to work, I'd have loved about 6 weeks, tops! Not a viriologist so I don't know how much longer it would take to do safely. At 50k new cases a day, it doesn't seem sensible.

Problem is this pinging thing. How many clubs will get pinged over the next week or so? Then they're shut, little or nothing in the way of government support.  

People will just start deleting the app anyway, or employers will order them to. Lets remember there is no legal requirement to isolate solely from the app telling you 

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

People will just start deleting the app anyway, or employers will order them to. Lets remember there is no legal requirement to isolate solely from the app telling you 

I think it might be different for businesses? Not sure. Mother got pinged and she's got the NHS ringing umpteen times a day.

If I got pinged in the next week, it would cost me thousands, so I haven't got it, and I won't get it. I played the last 16 months with a very straight bat but I'm double jabbed, happy to social distance and taking the work offered.