Coronavirus - Part Two.

4 hours ago, butlers said:

Not that one should be cynical.

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/how-many-covid-19-vaccines-has-the-uk-donated/?

If it turns out we gave a chunk of foreign aid money to the covax scheme but then make the poorer countries BUY our spare vaccines.

To be fair Boris did say 100 million surplus vaccines within the next year. As with the EU the priority must be to provide them to its own people first. I just wonder if James Hitchings-Hales has had any vaccinations yet and if not when his turn comes would he be willing to donate his to another country first.

Newsnight were reporting last night that the time to obtain results for (home) PCR tests has been rising sharply recently. I think this means that the moderation in growth rate for cases (?50% rise per week down to 30% per week?) might be largely due to pressure on testing capacity rather than reduction in growth rates for infections. Presumably this effect will increase as daily infections increase making the daily case data less useful.

The nature of the case data is also likely to change as schools break up for the Summer because a lot of secondary school kids were testing a couple of times a week using lateral flow tests. I think many schools break next week so conceivably there might be a non-meaningful drop in the case numbers related to this.

6 hours ago, Mister M said:

Boris Johnson’s policy poses ‘danger to the world’, as Whitty warns UK could face ‘trouble’

Covid news live: Latest updates as scientists say UK policy poses ‘danger to world’ | The Independent

Worrying, but it's been known for a while now that not keeping on top of infection rates leads to new variants. I suppose Johnson is keeping his fingers crossed that the new variant, if one does emerge, is not vaccine resistant. 

Needless to say if it is vaccine resistant, more lockdowns, and Britain will be known as 'plague island'.

"Plague Island" thats a good one .

9 hours ago, makapaka said:

3 of my mates, 1 family member and 2 of my neighbours got Covid in the last week - you'd have to be mad to have a vaccine ready and waiting for you and turn it down.

Cos you're gonna get Covid - no doubt about it.

Not necessarily

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

"Plague Island" thats a good one .

The term is already used to refer to the UK mainland on the Isle of Man.

54 minutes ago, FoxLady said:

...and now, for your further entertainment....

Norovirus.

Earlier than usual.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57865112

And another negative of lockdowns-

'

Prof Paul Hunter, from the Norwich School of Medicine at the University of East Anglia, said the increase of cases of norovirus in children "almost certainly" reflected reduced immunity to this infection as a result of not being exposed to it as the country locked down for Covid.

"We have already started to see cases rising for some of the other respiratory viruses and this reminds us that as we come out of lockdown we are likely to start seeing many other infections rising that may cause problems for public health and the NHS.

"Doctors in new Zealand have coined the phrase 'immunity debt' to describe this phenomenon.'

[from the quoted link]

I wonder if.........

I've never suffered from Hay Fever or had any problem around grass, but twice recently I've cut a relative's lawn, and on both occasions I've had sneezing and coughing fits, and a runny nose.  All symptoms go as soon as I am on my way home.

Surely in my later years I've not contracted Hay Fever?  If so, could it be due to the lockdown, and will it disappear IF we stay out of lockdown and things get better?

23 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

And another negative of lockdowns-

'

Prof Paul Hunter, from the Norwich School of Medicine at the University of East Anglia, said the increase of cases of norovirus in children "almost certainly" reflected reduced immunity to this infection as a result of not being exposed to it as the country locked down for Covid.

"We have already started to see cases rising for some of the other respiratory viruses and this reminds us that as we come out of lockdown we are likely to start seeing many other infections rising that may cause problems for public health and the NHS.

"Doctors in new Zealand have coined the phrase 'immunity debt' to describe this phenomenon.'

[from the quoted link]

So the sooner we get people vaccinated, wearing masks to protect each other and prevent hospitalisations due to Covid the sooner we can get on with dealing with the backlog of other cases / ave the resources to deal with other cases that will arise.

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

So the sooner we get people vaccinated, wearing masks to protect each other and prevent hospitalisations due to Covid the sooner we can get on with dealing with the backlog of other cases / ave the resources to deal with other cases that will arise.

Albeit it at the cost of increasing the 'immunity debt' further :(

14 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I wonder if.........

I've never suffered from Hay Fever or had any problem around grass, but twice recently I've cut a relative's lawn, and on both occasions I've had sneezing and coughing fits, and a runny nose.  All symptoms go as soon as I am on my way home.

Surely in my later years I've not contracted Hay Fever?  If so, could it be due to the lockdown, and will it disappear IF we stay out of lockdown and things get better?

Could be just age- autoimmune issues often arise with increasing age- I've never had hay fever but over the past few years am getting a lot of eye irritation especially in summer.

14 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Albeit it at the cost of increasing the 'immunity debt' further

Having no flu season last Winter will have saved quite a few lives even if it fueled the immunity debt as you call it.

Edited by Carbuncle

13 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Albeit it at the cost of increasing the 'immunity debt' further :(

Hospitals have got to react to  what comes through the door.

Let's try to stop more covid cases coming through the door by getting vaccinated and wearing masks for mutual protection (indoors eg supermarkets or outdoors eg packed stadia ).

Edited by Longcol