Coronavirus - Part Two.

Guest makapaka

Couple of months we’ll all be back in the house again wishing we’d gone the beer garden a bit more when it was sunny.

I'll give it 4 weeks before they put some more restrictions in place, claiming new  variants.  Either Covid passports to prove vaccine status to go to pubs (making profits for cronies who have been testing these for them for months) or back to lockdowns.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

The Netherlands ,Isreal and just today LA all which had relaxed all or most of the restrictions have at the minimum brought mask mandates back as that Delta variant just explodes 

Edited by butlers

9 hours ago, Longcol said:

So how long do you propose we wait - and how many deaths would that lead to?

Vaccines have reduced hospitalisations and deaths as a proportion of infections by a huge percentage. Does this upset you?

It is notable that you, and several others on this thread, assume that anyone mentioning the lack of long term testing on this vaccine must be in opposition to the vaccine.

I do not oppose the vaccine [as long as it is not compulsory], I just don't think that going into censorship mode about it's lack of long term testing, or any of it's side effects, is a good idea.

Guest makapaka

3 of my mates, 1 family member and 2 of my neighbours got Covid in the last week - you'd have to be mad to have a vaccine ready and waiting for you and turn it down.

Cos you're gonna get Covid - no doubt about it.

Edited by makapaka

Guest sibon
4 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

It is notable that you, and several others on this thread, assume that anyone mentioning the lack of long term testing on this vaccine must be in opposition to the vaccine.

I do not oppose the vaccine [as long as it is not compulsory], I just don't think that going into censorship mode about it's lack of long term testing, or any of it's side effects, is a good idea.

I agree with you entirely. Suppression of information never ends well. That doesn’t  mean that we have to take every YouTube nutcase seriously, but proper data is very welcome.

It would also be nice to see an analysis of the long term risk of Covid, vs the likely long term risk of the vaccine. I suspect that the vaccine would come out very well of such an analysis.

Edited by sibon

Boris Johnson’s policy poses ‘danger to the world’, as Whitty warns UK could face ‘trouble’

Covid news live: Latest updates as scientists say UK policy poses ‘danger to world’ | The Independent

Worrying, but it's been known for a while now that not keeping on top of infection rates leads to new variants. I suppose Johnson is keeping his fingers crossed that the new variant, if one does emerge, is not vaccine resistant. 

Needless to say if it is vaccine resistant, more lockdowns, and Britain will be known as 'plague island'.

27 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Boris Johnson’s policy poses ‘danger to the world’, as Whitty warns UK could face ‘trouble’

Covid news live: Latest updates as scientists say UK policy poses ‘danger to world’ | The Independent

Worrying, but it's been known for a while now that not keeping on top of infection rates leads to new variants. I suppose Johnson is keeping his fingers crossed that the new variant, if one does emerge, is not vaccine resistant. 

Needless to say if it is vaccine resistant, more lockdowns, and Britain will be known as 'plague island'.

Despite the big bold scary headline you have up if a new vaccine resistant variant does spring up then it's more than likely to come from a country with low vaccination rates such as India and not our own. That is the real danger to the world.

21 minutes ago, apelike said:

Despite the big bold scary headline you have up if a new vaccine resistant variant does spring up then it's more than likely to come from a country with low vaccination rates such as India and not our own. That is the real danger to the world.

Well ... we have lots of viral replication and hence lots of new mutations being generated and we have lots of selection pressure because there is so much immunity in the population. So I am going to say that the UK is going to be punching above its weight on this one.

Edited by Carbuncle

7 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Well ... we have lots of viral replication and hence lots of new mutations being generated and we have lots of selection pressure because there is so much immunity in the population. So I am going to say that the UK going to be punching above its weight on this one.

We haven't had many variants though and the ones we do know about that have already posed a problem so far have largely originated from outside the UK, from countries with large populations and low vaccination rates. Countries like India, Pakistan, Brazil S.Africa and Mexico all have very large slums where even basic amenities like fresh water and sanitation are scarce. To me those are the places that need urgent help as that will benefit us all.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

or 'Freedom Island'?

Edited by onewheeldave