Coronavirus - Part Two.

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:
7 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Taking Dominic Cummings at face value is clearly foolish ... but his accusations of Hancock's lying are specific and the Health and Social Care Select Committee can probably check them. They do not need to rely on the truthfulness of Cummings to do this.

I don't think they need to do that - just flick through a few media appearances. He's safe though, as is Johnson.

What are you referring to? The number of tests being carried out which came to include numbers of test kits in the post? Or do you have something else in mind?

16 Jan 

Before the first confirmed case in UK

She's leader in global health at Edinburgh University.

There's also a lecture of her online more or less laying out how such a pandemic would develop ,think it was 2016 .On Youtube

38 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

What are you referring to? The number of tests being carried out which came to include numbers of test kits in the post? Or do you have something else in mind?

He said on breakfast telly there was no national PPE shortage, just some very short term localised shortages. 

11 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:
52 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

He said on breakfast telly there was no national PPE shortage, just some very short term localised shortages. 

That sounds right (I don't watch breakfast TV). I remember Jenny Harries at that time a deputy chief medical officer said a similar thing in one of the press briefings. I thought she should have been fired for that and her follow-up the next week when she it was revealed as rubbish and she said (something along the lines of) 'she had been being hopeful'. I think lying to the public should be career ending for public officials.

Lying to the PM/ others in government - which is an accusation Dominic Cummings is making - might finally cause the news media to show an appropriate level of interest.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Cummings is now desperately trying to save his own skin by throwing as much mud as he can and hoping some sticks.

There's something not right about a man who posts a chain of 65+ posts on Twitter.

He acted like he was untouchable and the new Alistair Campbell when he worked for the government and alienated the British public with his tales. Now he wants us to believe him?

He'll most likely run himself over with the bus he's trying to throw Boris and co under.

Boris and Hancock won't need to be chucked under a bus, they will chuck themselves under whilst wishing they had never backed the little snake in the Barnard castlegate.  :hihi:

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Cummings is now desperately trying to save his own skin by throwing as much mud as he can and hoping some sticks.

There's something not right about a man who posts a chain of 65+ posts on Twitter.

He acted like he was untouchable and the new Alistair Campbell when he worked for the government and alienated the British public with his tales. Now he wants us to believe him?

He'll most likely run himself over with the bus he's trying to throw Boris and co under.

Could not agree more.

This is the same man who thought it was acceptable to break the lockdown rules so spectacularly during lockdown and was defended by Boris!

Maybe he thought the rules only apply to the "little people"

Absolute snake and I don't think anyone takes him seriously.

4 minutes ago, Fudbeer said:

Except that the parliamentary select committees can check some of the statements he has made because (a) they are statements of fact rather than opinion and (b) they may be checkable. Thus some of what he says may be helpful without having to rely on his 'integrity' or accept his self-serving statements.

From what he has been saying this afternoon he probably had a very good reason for getting out of London tbf.

1 hour ago, Fudbeer said:

Could not agree more.

This is the same man who thought it was acceptable to break the lockdown rules so spectacularly during lockdown and was defended by Boris!

He is a hardcore brexiteer and I suspect voters in places like Hartlepool will take notice of what he says - his accusations will gain traction, where Labours could not, because he is one of their beloved "true believers" in brexit.

1 hour ago, Fudbeer said:

Could not agree more.

He's got the receipts for alot of what he's saying - we should take him seriously. We won't though because Boris is a laugh.

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

He's got the receipts for alot of what he's saying - we should take him seriously. We won't though because Boris is a laugh.

I think it is really about the news media. In the end most of the media were prepared to label Trump statements as 'lies' even before they had checked them. That was in my view a step too far but it took a long time for them to realise that they did not have to take seriously what the US president said because of his established lack of credibility.

I think we have something similar in this country. At some point enough evidence will have accumulated that the news media will finally acknowledge this government is prepared to make false statements, that the media need to check everything they say, not give them the benefit of the doubt and put anything they can not check inside quotation marks because it can not be relied on to be true.

... oh and I do wonder whether vaccine hesitancy has been enhanced because people perceive government (and media) advice to be unreliable due to a lack of government integrity.