Coronavirus - Part Two.

Just now, nikki-red said:

Aren’t they variants simply named after the place they were first discovered? It doesn’t necessarily mean they originated there? 

Yes that is normal way just like the Kent variant, only called that because it was first discovered in Kent.

7 hours ago, nikki-red said:

Aren’t they variants simply named after the place they were first discovered? It doesn’t necessarily mean they originated there? 

Correct - but it doesn't rule out the possibility they originated there either.

Guest makapaka

Best thing you can do about coronavirus is stop reading the news and use common sense in terms of contact / also get the vaccine.

“Yorkshire variant “ give me a break.

6 hours ago, makapaka said:

Best thing you can do about coronavirus is stop reading the news and use common sense in terms of contact / also get the vaccine.

“Yorkshire variant “ give me a break.

Best post I've seen recently.👍

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Best post I've seen recently.👍

I will second that.

In a months time a good majority will have been Jabbed so it will a case of living with this Virus like  other Virus's over the years, when the wearing of mask eases I for one will keep on using the sanitisers where offererd ie shops, pubs ect plus using my own before I leave home in other words caution and safety in mind.

19 hours ago, nikki-red said:

The Indian Govt want any reference to the 'Indian variant' removed. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-57213046.amp

"The IT ministry said the World Health Organization (WHO) listed the variant as B.1.617 and any reference to "Indian" was false."

B. 1.617 - snappy reference, rolls right off the tongue but the inference is that such labels suggest racist overtones.  A few weeks ago I heard a British woman on the radio who lives in France saying that people were singling her out for criticism because of the 'Kent variant' outbreak in France. 

I think the world has more to worry about than mere simple labels at the moment? 

Edited by Baron99

9 hours ago, Baron99 said:

The Indian Govt want any reference to the 'Indian variant' removed. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-57213046.amp

"The IT ministry said the World Health Organization (WHO) listed the variant as B.1.617 and any reference to "Indian" was false."

B. 1.617 - snappy reference, rolls right off the tongue but the inference is that such labels suggest racist overtones.  A few weeks ago I heard a British woman on the radio who lives in France saying that people were singling her out for criticism because of the 'Kent variant' outbreak in France. 

I think the world has more to worry about than mere simple labels at the moment? 

Modi seems to have been competing with Bolsonaro in Brazil for which leader can have the World's worst response to Covid-19. He doesn't want anything that reminds the Indian public of his failings. As the article notes, he's previously ordered social networks to remove posts critical of his handling of the pandemic.

On 22/05/2021 at 13:57, RollingJ said:

Interesting you use the words 'supposed' and 'meant' above - I get the impression some of these quotes are from individuals out to make name for themselves, then going quiet when the predictions are proved baseless/semi-baseless.

On the other hand, nobody believed the experts who predicted over one hundred-thousand deaths in the UK due to COVID.

It turns out they were right.

2 minutes ago, The Joker said:

On the other hand, nobody believed the experts who predicted over one hundred-thousand deaths in the UK due to COVID.

It turns out they were right.

Nobody? - I thought some went further and predicted Armageddon?

6 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Nobody? - I thought some went further and predicted Armageddon?

define Armageddon

Edited by The Joker

1 minute ago, The Joker said:

define Armageddon

Google (or DuckDuckGo) is your friend.