Coronavirus - Part Two.

9 hours ago, butlers said:

The true death toll will never be known as there has never been a standard system between nations of measuring the actual mortality rate of covid so its all just a guesstimate.

Edited by apelike

59 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

I'm surprised that it's not more rampant in the community. The Kent variant was supposed to be 50% more transmissible than normal and now this Indian variant is meant to be 50% more transmissible than that!

All praise the NHS , 50 Million doses up.

And that's just England

Edited by butlers

1 hour ago, apelike said:

I'm surprised that it's not more rampant in the community. The Kent variant was supposed to be 50% more transmissible than normal and now this Indian variant is meant to be 50% more transmissible than that!

Interesting you use the words 'supposed' and 'meant' above - I get the impression some of these quotes are from individuals out to make name for themselves, then going quiet when the predictions are proved baseless/semi-baseless.

35 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Interesting you use the words 'supposed' and 'meant' above - I get the impression some of these quotes are from individuals out to make name for themselves, then going quiet when the predictions are proved baseless/semi-baseless.

Yep, its mainly the SAGE lot at the moment.

Quote:

"The Scientific Advisory Group for emergencies (SAGE) has said there is a “realistic possibility” that the Indian coronavirus variant could be as much as “50 per cent more transmissible” than the Kent strain."

Which is basically the same as what they said about the Kent variant, except in this case it is reported as a strain and not a variant. Maybe just another example of bad reporting from someone who does not know the difference.

Edited by apelike

25 minutes ago, apelike said:

Yep, its mainly the SAGE lot at the moment.

Quote:

"The Scientific Advisory Group for emergencies (SAGE) has said there is a “realistic possibility” that the Indian coronavirus variant could be as much as “50 per cent more transmissible” than the Kent strain."

Which is basically the same as what they said about the Kent variant, except in this case it is reported as a strain and not a variant. Maybe just another example of bad reporting from someone who does not know the difference.

'SAGES' they sometimes ain't. 😉

Just been reading that we now have our very own Yorkshire variant as well which has also been detected in Greece and Chad but they don't know yet how it got here or if it originated here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57199475

Edited by apelike
forgot link

I'm confused - if it is a 'Yorkshire' variant - what is it doing in Greece and Chad? Might it not be a Greek or Chad 'variant'?:confused:

Just now, RollingJ said:

I'm confused - if it is a 'Yorkshire' variant - what is it doing in Greece and Chad? Might it not be a Greek or Chad 'variant'?:confused:

Don't be.. Variants can pop up anywhere around the globe and can mutate independently but may also have the same or similar genetic structure. All it takes is to have people with similar genetics for that to happen as it's a natural occurrence and is what viruses do.

Aren’t they variants simply named after the place they were first discovered? It doesn’t necessarily mean they originated there?