Coronavirus - Part Two.

30 minutes ago, El Cid said:

This from the BBC, "There was, the document said, a "realistic possibility" that the Indian variant was 50% more transmissible than the UK variant which had been responsible for the deadly winter wave."

The BBC have just parroted that from the government. I personally think its nonsense.

There is also a "realistic possibility" that it is no more transmissible than the UK variant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57150871

Didnt they say similar with the Brazilain variant? If it was 50% more transmissable, there would be no stopping it.

I have about as much faith in the BBC News ( and some 'experts') as I have in my chance of winning the Euromillions - and I've never, ever bought a ticket.

I sometimes get the distinct impression someone, somewhere, is enjoying having all this 'power', but these unproven/false/never realised horror stories will come back and bite them one day.  When this CV19 thing kicked off, like many others I followed it fairly closely, but the more it goes on  , the less I bother taking notice of.

Edited by RollingJ

Guest makapaka
15 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I have about as much faith in the BBC News ( and some 'experts') as I have in my chance of winning the Euromillions - and I've never, ever bought a ticket.

I sometimes get the distinct impression someone, somewhere, is enjoying having all this 'power', but these unproven/false/never realised horror stories will come back and bite them one day.  When this CV19 thing kicked off, like many others I followed it fairly closely, but the more it goes on  , the less I bother taking notice of.

There was an "expert" giving advice on hugging on the bbc last week - mad enough on it's own.

Although when I looked her up she is a lecturer in civil engineering at Leeds Beckett University. 

4 minutes ago, makapaka said:

There was an "expert" giving advice on hugging on the bbc last week - mad enough on it's own.

Although when I looked her up she is a lecturer in civil engineering at Leeds Beckett University. 

By coincidence, the beeb have booked me next week to speak on advanced driving techniques.  I am a non-driver who lectures in Astronomy at the Idontgoto University.

9 minutes ago, makapaka said:

She might be an expert on 'lecturing about' civil engineering, but has she done any?

As for her other part-time job on the BBC - another reason I've ceased to watch then for valid information.

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

By coincidence, the beeb have booked me next week to speak on advanced driving techniques.  I am a non-driver who lectures in Astronomy at the Idontgoto University.

😂🤣😂🤣

Oh come on, it's a known fact the BBC thinks Leeds is THE greatest City in Yorkshire! :loopy: 

Look at all the pro-Leeds bias on Look North, any story that's in somewhere like Sheffield gets 30 seconds of footage if that! :loopy: 

Just now, Mr Allen said:

Oh come on, it's a known fact the BBC thinks Leeds is THE greatest City in Yorkshire! :loopy: 

Look at all the pro-Leeds bias on Look North, any story that's in somewhere like Sheffield gets 30 seconds of footage if that! :loopy: 

Very true, @Mr Allen- but these comments are aimed at the BBC as a whole, rather than its' more local 'incompetence', to put it nicely.

Guest makapaka
22 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

She might be an expert on 'lecturing about' civil engineering, but has she done any?

im not questioning her knowledge of civil engineering - more why I should take notice of her in respect of a pandemic.

I’m a chartered civil engineering surveyor as it happens - I don’t expect a platform on the national news telling people what to do or not to do with their lives.

2 minutes ago, makapaka said:

im not questioning her knowledge of civil engineering - more why I should take notice of her in respect of a pandemic.

I’m a chartered civil engineering surveyor as it happens - I don’t expect a platform on the national news telling people what to do or not to do with their lives.

Yep - I understand that entirely,  and the only reason I queried her practical ability was that I wondered where it fitted in with 'advising on hugging'? The medias' choice of interviewee's makes me scratch my head sometimes.

Well said in your second paragraph. 👍

Advice on next phase is at best unclear, but better described as ....er, extremely unclear.  Data, not dates?  That's been binned.

Johnson dubs his opposition as "Captain Hindsight."  A spot of foresight by his government wouldn't go amiss.

2 minutes ago, steved32 said:

Advice on next phase is at best unclear, but better described as ....er, extremely unclear.  Data, not dates?  That's been binned.

Johnson dubs his opposition as "Captain Hindsight."  A spot of foresight by his government wouldn't go amiss.

I think if they had foresight now it would be that holidays abroad would bring back lots more variants, so ban them for now.  Giving dates for possible further easing would excite the press and people and gives false hope, so don't give dates. 

If they did both of these, presumably you'd be happy?

Traffic lights, but then don't travel?  Erm..."Travelling is not for this year."

Quote.

...and does Amber mean don't go, or prepare to go?

Boris bumbling buffoonery.