Coronavirus - Part Two.

6 minutes ago, makapaka said:

We absolutely aren’t on the right path 

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n995

I'm on that list, and doesn't mean I think it govt or NHS fault. It's just the outcome of an unexpected event that the country like most others, wasn't prepared for.

Guest makapaka
31 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

I'm on that list, and doesn't mean I think it govt or NHS fault. It's just the outcome of an unexpected event that the country like most others, wasn't prepared for.

Yes - but sooner or later we need to balance it up.

we’ve spent 14 months protecting the vulnerable and providing vaccines to protect further.

Only so much longer you can do it before you create a new vulnerable - a lot younger vulnerable also.

Edited by makapaka

Instead of putting all the effort into buying millions of doses of vaccines to stop as many people as possible getting the virus, why haven't we been buying millions of doses of the treatments being developed that treat the patients with it?  As previously referenced on this thread, they have been developed, and Boris says they will be available in the Autumn.

Imagine if these had been developed and deployed with the effort and speed that the vaccines had been... instead of the huge costs of lockdowns and increasing hospital waiting lists for Covid and non-Covid patients, we could have had more of the "old normal", with Covid affected people getting tablets to take at home, and being to normal in a week or two.  Israel had something similar a month or 2 ago, with even the worst affected been wheeled into intensive case one day, then walking out and going home the next.

Guest makapaka

I thought we could “tweak” vaccines in a matter of months.

Surely we should be doing that now if the Indian variant is going to be the dominant strain.

where has been the boosting of capacity in the nhs - that would help. train people in specifics related to coronavirus treatment on a fasttrack basis?

9 hours ago, makapaka said:

Yes - but sooner or later we need to balance it up.

we’ve spent 14 months protecting the vulnerable and providing vaccines to protect further.

Only so much longer you can do it before you create a new vulnerable - a lot younger vulnerable also.

The end IS in sight. When enough people have vaccinated to stop exponential growth. We are not quite there yet.  We ought to pause the next stage of the road map by a couple of weeks or so to buy time to get more people vaccinated and assess the risks of the Indian variant.  Clamouring to unlock quickly has made things worse before and required longer lockdowns.  

Edited by redruby

Guest sibon
12 hours ago, makapaka said:

I thought we could “tweak” vaccines in a matter of months.

Surely we should be doing that now if the Indian variant is going to be the dominant strain.

where has been the boosting of capacity in the nhs - that would help. train people in specifics related to coronavirus treatment on a fasttrack basis?

I guess that they are tweaking the vaccine, right now.

Unfortunately, they don’t have the technology to tweak the vaccine that I and 35 000 000 others have already received.

The drugs to treat it are on the way too. If you speak with any doctors, you’ll find that they are much better equipped to treat COVID than they were last year.

3 hours ago, redruby said:

The end IS in sight. When enough people have vaccinated to stop exponential growth. We are not quite there yet.  We ought to pause the next stage of the road map by a couple of weeks or so to buy time to get more people vaccinated and assess the risks of the Indian variant.  Clamouring to unlock quickly has made things worse before and required longer lockdowns.  

Well said totally agree.

4 hours ago, redruby said:

I agree. 

And I feel really angry by the right wing on Johnson's party who take to the airwaves and complain about the economic impact of lockdown, but very rarely, if ever, have taken to the airwaves to apologise for pressurising the PM not to lockdown sooner, or open up too quickly; or even talk about the terrible loss of life due to the virus.

I wish the media would hold these people to account.

Guest makapaka
4 hours ago, redruby said:

When would you pause it to - and what would you do at that point if a new variant is identified shortly before?

Edited by makapaka

I see Eric Clapton has been complaining about his 'disastrous reaction' to the AstraZeneca vaccine. 

The 76-year-old said he 'recovered eventually'.

'My hands and feet were either frozen, numb or burning, and pretty much useless for two weeks,' he moaned.  'I feared I would never play again...I should never have gone near the needle. But the propaganda said the vaccine was safe for everyone.'

Eric Clapton hits out at 'propaganda' over vaccine safety | Daily Mail Online

The cheek of it! All the years he willingly took illegal drugs and suffered untold side effects, now he's whining about a couple of weeks not being able to play with his guitar, when the NHS has vaccinated him against catching something that could kill him. He wants to thank his lucky stars he's not suffering like those poor souls in India.

Edited by Mister M

8 minutes ago, makapaka said:

When would you pause it to - and what would you do at that point if a new variant is identified shortly before?

Depends on the science. I'd give it another week or two, maybe in areas where the numbers are up and go hell for leather vaccinating people to slow down the spread. If the next variant is, god forbid, resistant to vaccines, start again. 

But I'm not an expert.

Bigger picture start training more medical professionals and building more hospitals (not just refurbing them Hancock you mug).

13 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I see Eric Clapton has been complaining about his 'disastrous reaction' to the AstraZeneca vaccine. 

The 76-year-old said he 'recovered eventually'.

'My hands and feet were either frozen, numb or burning, and pretty much useless for two weeks,' he moaned.  'I feared I would never play again...I should never have gone near the needle. But the propaganda said the vaccine was safe for everyone.'

Eric Clapton hits out at 'propaganda' over vaccine safety | Daily Mail Online

The cheek of it! All the years he willingly took illegal drugs and suffered untold side effects, now he's whining about a couple of weeks not being able to play with his guitar, when the NHS has vaccinated him against catching something that could kill him. He wants to thank his lucky stars he's not suffering like those poor souls in India.

Yikes 😉- I'm going to have to totally agree with you on this, but he is 76, probably going a bit senile due to his earlier excesses, and the source is the Mail.