Coronavirus - Part Two.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

That's easy enough to do - extra lessons/training.

You make them sound like a separate species...

What do they need which older people don't? and what haven't they had which older people have had?

In terms of schooling I’ll give you a quick personal scenario but this would apply to all school children in some way;

my daughter started secondary school in sep 19 - a big thing for any kid. In mar 20 she wasn’t allowed into school and didn’t return until sep 20.

after returning in sep 20 now as a second year - after 3months later she wasn’t allowed into school for a futher 4 months - returning in April 21 - straight into a 2 week Easter holiday and then a 2 week enforced isolation period.

In 2 months time she will finish for the year and return as a third year in September. 

how do you propose she and others makes up that lost time - both educationally and socially? With extra lessons?

what about students who have paid thousands to pursue a degree away from Home and the lost experiences there?

Some more reading for you found in seconds - there are reams of similar stuff to look at if your interested;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-54005156.amp

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, makapaka said:

In terms of schooling I’ll give you a quick personal scenario but this would apply to all school children in some way;

my daughter started secondary school in sep 19 - a big thing for any kid. In mar 20 she wasn’t allowed into school and didn’t return until sep 20.

after returning in sep 20 now as a second year - after 3months later she wasn’t allowed into school for a futher 4 months - returning in April 21 - straight into a 2 week Easter holiday and then a 2 week enforced isolation period.

In 2 months time she will finish for the year and return as a third year in September. 

how do you propose she and others makes up that lost time - both educationally and socially? With extra lessons?

what about students who have paid thousands to pursue a degree away from Home and the lost experiences there?

Some more reading for you found in seconds - there are reams of similar stuff to look at if your interested;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-54005156.amp

It’s a real problem and not one that can be easily fixed. I’ve had a lifetime in Sheffield schools at a variety of levels. I’ve no idea how we are going to fix this.

I hope we see more choice in education as part of the solution. Abandoning the one size fits all approach would help youngsters to follow their interests at an appropriate level of depth.

I’m not holding my breath though. I’ve seen first hand the lack of ingenuity in our educational leaders. 

In the meantime, I wish you well with your kids. Look after them, nurture their curiosity and don’t let them get stressed by a situation that isn’t of their making. 

15 hours ago, andyofborg said:

That's easy enough to do - extra lessons/training.

You make them sound like a separate species...

What do they need which older people don't? and what haven't they had which older people have had?

Why is that relevant? Young have missed out on so much and have been ignored, regardless of whether older people have or haven't.

They have lost their jobs at a point in their careers where it will make a difference, they have been denied access to huge parts of the University experience but had no recompense for it.

Edited by Bargepole23

On 04/05/2021 at 21:55, sibon said:

I don’t disagree with that at all. The younger generation have been amazing in their adherence to the restrictions. They are also the ones who will ultimately get the bill for all of this. They do deserve priority. For example, someone needs to figure out how we fix the holes  in their education.

I was trying to say that we can’t just go from where we are now, to no restrictions in one move. We do need to be analytical. Take a few more weeks and keep testing and monitoring.

Hopefully, we can all have a better summer, young and old. And hopefully we’ll quickly find ways to let everyone do the things they love. I just don’t want to see it all go wrong again.

Yes, I couldn’t agree more about caution with releasing restrictions.  After the length of time this has gone on, why take risks opening up just a few weeks too early rather holding out a bit longer. This article explains why..

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/chile-covid-vaccine-success-holidays-uk-travel-restrictions-985916

8 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Why is that relevant? Young have missed out on so much and have been ignored, regardless of whether older people have or haven't.

Apart from education, what have they actually missed out on? Have they really been ignored anymore than any other arbitrary of people?

8 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

They have lost their jobs at a point in their careers where it will make a difference, they have been denied access to huge parts of the University experience but had no recompense for it.

Education across all levels doesn't seem to have been handled well. It could and should have been done better. 

We should certainly have taken the opportunity to create a permanent distant learning resource for all levels of education which could have been kept on after this pandemic not only to be ready for the next one but also a revision aid, support for home schooled children. a resource for teachers, part of a national training/retraining effort. 

Other than actually learning, what part of the University experience have students been denied? 

Older people have also lost jobs, young people at least have the opportunity to make up what's been lost. At the best of times older workers struggle to get new jobs, this is not the best of times and they don't have much time left. 

4 hours ago, andyofborg said:

Apart from education, what have they actually missed out on? Have they really been ignored anymore than any other arbitrary of people?

Education across all levels doesn't seem to have been handled well. It could and should have been done better. 

We should certainly have taken the opportunity to create a permanent distant learning resource for all levels of education which could have been kept on after this pandemic not only to be ready for the next one but also a revision aid, support for home schooled children. a resource for teachers, part of a national training/retraining effort. 

Other than actually learning, what part of the University experience have students been denied? 

Older people have also lost jobs, young people at least have the opportunity to make up what's been lost. At the best of times older workers struggle to get new jobs, this is not the best of times and they don't have much time left. 

All of it. Meeting new people and doing new things. They have been given online lectures, sometimes prerecorded, and nothing else. No practical work, no lab work, no group work.

On 06/05/2021 at 08:36, andyofborg said:

Building on the Open University?

On 06/05/2021 at 12:57, Bargepole23 said:

All of it. Meeting new people and doing new things. They have been given online lectures, sometimes prerecorded, and nothing else. No practical work, no lab work, no group work.

That's how the Open University works.

20 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Building on the Open University?

Yes, and all the new exciting tech. 

Regarding the opening up of travelling & going abroad this year with the published 'Green' list of countries.  I was listening to a Border Force spokeswoman who works at Gatwick Airport being interviewed on the radio yesterday. 

She was explaining the process in place for people arriving in the UK & what they expect to happen when you return from your holidays.  I presume something similar will also take place when you arrive at your holiday destination & have to go through their immigration control at the start of your holiday as well?

Travellers will have to show the relevant COVID documentation that they've been tested, etc in order to enter the UK.  If you don't have it, you'll be issued with a letter of intent that you'll receive a fine & you'll be dealt with accordingly, depending if the country you've arrived from is on the Green, Amber or Red lists. 

Questioned how long this checking would take, the spokeswoman said trials had been run & 'IF' travellers arrived at immigration with all the documentation ready to present, then it would be around 5 MINS per traveller.   

5 MINS & that's if things go smoothly.  The spokeswoman anticipated long delays & warned travellers that they WOULD be held in long arrival queues, that seating, (in Gatwick at least, had been removed), so advised anyone who had difficulty standing for long periods, should arrange for a wheelchair prior to landing & parents should be prepared to find something that will occupy their children while they queue.

All sounds a bit of a nightmare, especially if this is going to occur at both your holiday arrival destination as well?  Think we'll be forgoing a holiday abroad this year.  

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

All sounds a bit of a nightmare, especially if this is going to occur at both your holiday arrival destination as well?  

The experience at both ends shouldn't be easy to deter travel. We've seen over and over again with this that travel spreads it around, and now you will most likely be spreading more contagious and less susceptible to the current vaccine variants. 

I appreciate there are people who really do have to travel, but if the number who don't have to travel is minimal, their experience shouldn't be too bad. I also understand the damage to the sector by keeping numbers low, but do we burn the entire economy just to save one bit?

When more of the world catches up with us in terms infection rates and vaccination then maybe we make it a bit easier, until then it's Skegvegas.  

7 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

When more of the world catches up with us in terms infection rates and vaccination then maybe we make it a bit easier, until then it's Skegvegas.  

Think it will be around Scarbados for us. 

On 06/05/2021 at 11:57, Bargepole23 said:

Not true. Lab work has been allowed to be carried out to some extent, depending on the subject and when in the various lockdowns.