Coronavirus - Part Two.

Guest makapaka
10 minutes ago, sibon said:

I’m getting to the same conclusion, but I’m a bit more cautious. India thought they had it licked a couple of months ago, that didn’t work out too well.

We have 2000 ish cases per day at the moment. Unchecked, virus cases can double every 3 or 4 days, so within a couple of weeks, we could be back to 100 000 cases a day. You’d hope not, but ...

It hurts to say it, but the government are spot on. Open up a bit, monitor and act if you need to.  Then open up more if you can.

The virus isn’t going away, so we do need to know that we have it under control before moving on. That’s not to say that moving on needs to be the priority.

India had 50000 people at cricket matches a couple of months ago - with no real vaccination effort and no social distancing / incomparable. 

need to stop counting cases because unless we’re being lied to the link between cases and hospitalisations has been broken.

the treatment of young people and their willingness to go along with it is the most heroic thing of the whole pandemic - and they’re cast aside for media opportunities with “heroic” elders.

needs to change and fast.

Guest sibon
13 minutes ago, makapaka said:

India had 50000 people at cricket matches a couple of months ago - with no real vaccination effort and no social distancing / incomparable. 

need to stop counting cases because unless we’re being lied to the link between cases and hospitalisations has been broken.

the treatment of young people and their willingness to go along with it is the most heroic thing of the whole pandemic - and they’re cast aside for media opportunities with “heroic” elders.

What is it that you want then?

50000 at cricket matches, or restrictions?

Guest makapaka
7 minutes ago, sibon said:

You said you were cautious because india thought they had it licked / as if we we are in the same situation as India were previously and it went wrong.

but we’re not.India was never in the position we are in now.

Edited by makapaka

Guest sibon
8 minutes ago, makapaka said:

You said you were cautious because india thought they had it licked / as if we we are in the same situation as India were previously and it went wrong.

but we’re not.India was never in the position we are in now.

Why not answer my question? Or try doubling 2000 cases ten times? Caution is the key, the last thing we need is a third wave.

Getting out of this will be slower than getting into it. That’s just maths for you.

Edited by sibon

Guest makapaka
7 minutes ago, sibon said:

Why not answer my question?Or try doubling 2000 cases ten times? Caution is the key, the last thing we need is a third wave.

Getting out of this will be slower than getting into it. That’s just maths for you.

Because cases won’t mean as many health issues because of the vaccination programme - so a 3rd wave in cases needn’t mean the same impact on the health system? Unless I’ve misunderstood the vaccination programme massively?

your question is also stupid - as it asks if “i” want 50,000 people at cricket matches or more restrictions - when obviously the issues are far more complex  than that.

Edited by makapaka

To be pedantic, no cricket stadium in the UK has a 50k capacity anyway,

16 hours ago, makapaka said:

You’ll do what your told which is pretty much the norm now.

they’re talking about letting you hug someone now which is nice of them.

Your equals you're :D 

Grammar is your friend, or not...

13 hours ago, makapaka said:

Couldn't agree more. Young people have been ignored during this crisis, students and workers alike, whilst some of the most important things and  times in their life are denied to them.

Guest makapaka
21 hours ago, sibon said:

I think I understand why you asked this now - but tell me if I’m wrong.

when I said it “needs to change and fast” I meant prioritising the needs and feelings  of young people.

Guest sibon
5 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I think I understand why you asked this now - but tell me if I’m wrong.

when I said it “needs to change and fast” I meant prioritising the needs and feelings  of young people.

I don’t disagree with that at all. The younger generation have been amazing in their adherence to the restrictions. They are also the ones who will ultimately get the bill for all of this. They do deserve priority. For example, someone needs to figure out how we fix the holes  in their education.

I was trying to say that we can’t just go from where we are now, to no restrictions in one move. We do need to be analytical. Take a few more weeks and keep testing and monitoring.

Hopefully, we can all have a better summer, young and old. And hopefully we’ll quickly find ways to let everyone do the things they love. I just don’t want to see it all go wrong again.

9 hours ago, sibon said:

They do deserve priority. For example, someone needs to figure out how we fix the holes  in their education.

That's easy enough to do - extra lessons/training.

9 hours ago, makapaka said:

You make them sound like a separate species...

What do they need which older people don't? and what haven't they had which older people have had?

Guest sibon
7 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

That's easy enough to do - extra lessons/training.

It’s only “easy” if you don’t think about it hard enough. 

For example, when would these extra lessons happen? Who would deliver them? Where would they happen?

It’s a problem that will need plenty of planning and creativity.