Coronavirus - Part Two.

Guest makapaka
17 hours ago, Kidorry said:

I cannot see this covid 19 going away for a long time yet, because I was in sainsbury jackson at gleadless townend and within 5 minutes three men at different times walked in without masks.

It’s never going away. Get used to it.

the only issue is how long we let it dominate the media and political agenda - which will be a long time when it’s also reinforced daily by the self-appointed Covid police.

'Working round the clock,' has become a whine emanating from cabinet ministers. 'Working night and day' and 'working tirelessly' they insist as if that is adequate rejection of all criticism of their failed private sector response to a deadly pandemic. The ones who really have been working all hours, NHS staff, have been snubbed with a 1% pay rise.

Meanwhile Boris Johnson has been caught trying to preserve tax advantages for his billionaire friend James Dyson, now established in his Singapore tax haven having flown from Brexit Britain. Billionaires like Dyson and Greensill, David Cameron's financier friend looking to profit from NHS contracts, don't shop in John Lewis or Debenhams. They don't turn up at Chelsea or Manchester City matches and buy a hot dog at half time. In short they do not contribute to our economy. Neoliberalism is a success, it has done what it was designed to do - transfer wealth from the poor to the already rich. The devastation to our communities matters not to these super rich individuals. They use their wealth to enjoy a lifestyle of isolated splendour, associating only with their own.

Hard work and dedication, the kind of virtues amply and wonderfully demonstrated by NHS staff, teachers and front line workers in essential roles, are as nothing to the tax abusers of the billionaire set or their political friends in government. It is now becoming apparent with absolute clarity which side Mr Johnson and his chums are on as slease and corruption yet again become the signature of conservative party rule.

10 hours ago, sibon said:

Whilst I’m sure that there are some people who cannot wear a mask for health reasons, I seriously doubt that there are many.

There are quite a lot actually.

10 hours ago, sibon said:

Those that can’t wear a mask could help the rest of us by either wearing a lanyard that explains their issue to the rest of us, or by making extra efforts to social distance. In that way, people who are compliant in mask wearing, won’t feel intimidated.

Some do wear a lanyard- mainly in an effort to cut down the routine harrsssment they face from, as you put it 'the rest of us' judging them as not being sufficiently disabled to justify not wearing a mask.

I have several disabled clients who, despite possessing medical letters and mask exemption badges, refuse to use public transport due to the accusing glares and sometimes verbal violence they face from, as you put it, 'the rest of us'.

The govt have made it clear that a disabled person who is mask exempt is not required to wear a badge/lanyard identifying them as such, and that when asked by a shop assistant/security guard why theyu are not wearing a mask, all they need to say is 'I am exempt'- any further questions from  the assistant/security guard requesting proof are innapropriate.

If the assistant/security guard then says that the person 'needs to wear a lanyard....' that is also innapropriate and in breach of the govt guidelines.

Edited by onewheeldave

1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

There are quite a lot actually.

True. My daughter for example. She's an athlete so she's physically very fit and strong and  on the outside appears to have no issues. However due to a traumatic experience is unable to wear any kind of face covering. As a result she has regularly faced discrimination in shops, at college and when she tried to use public transport. Most people don't cause an issue but there seems to be a hardcore of people who seem to enjoy going out of their way to cause an issue when really it's non of their business and they should just get on with their day and let her get on with hers. It's a good job she is resilient and for the most part can brush it off and move on but the longer this goes on the more I worry that she'll reach breaking point this could begin to affect her long term. 

3 hours ago, Staunton said:

'Working round the clock,' has become a whine emanating from cabinet ministers. 'Working night and day' and 'working tirelessly' they insist as if that is adequate rejection of all criticism of their failed private sector response to a deadly pandemic. The ones who really have been working all hours, NHS staff, have been snubbed with a 1% pay rise.

Meanwhile Boris Johnson has been caught trying to preserve tax advantages for his billionaire friend James Dyson, now established in his Singapore tax haven having flown from Brexit Britain. Billionaires like Dyson and Greensill, David Cameron's financier friend looking to profit from NHS contracts, don't shop in John Lewis or Debenhams. They don't turn up at Chelsea or Manchester City matches and buy a hot dog at half time. In short they do not contribute to our economy. Neoliberalism is a success, it has done what it was designed to do - transfer wealth from the poor to the already rich. The devastation to our communities matters not to these super rich individuals. They use their wealth to enjoy a lifestyle of isolated splendour, associating only with their own.

Hard work and dedication, the kind of virtues amply and wonderfully demonstrated by NHS staff, teachers and front line workers in essential roles, are as nothing to the tax abusers of the billionaire set or their political friends in government. It is now becoming apparent with absolute clarity which side Mr Johnson and his chums are on as slease and corruption yet again become the signature of conservative party rule.

Quoted for truth :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Quoted for truth :thumbsup:

Makes a change, at least it's not the usual Guardian quote!

19 minutes ago, apelike said:

Makes a change, at least it's not the usual Guardian quote!

What's that got to do with the topic in hand :confused:

5 hours ago, makapaka said:

It’s never going away. Get used to it.

the only issue is how long we let it dominate the media and political agenda - which will be a long time when it’s also reinforced daily by the self-appointed Covid police.

I agree with this. Take the media out of the equation and Covid will simply fade away. Yes it will still be around and affect a few people but that will be no more remarkable than any other illness.

The media sensationalise everything in order to sell newspapers, and the government like a fearful population as it makes them easier to control and manipulate. Heaven knows what they're getting away with under the aegis of Covid.

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

What's that got to do with the topic in hand :confused:

Didn't you state on another thread that this is a forum where people can discuss matters of interest. ;)

128,000 dead.

Yup media should put that on page 28 .

3 minutes ago, apelike said:

Didn't you state on another thread that this is a forum where people can discuss matters of interest. ;)

I'm delighted that my responses have provoked you into trolling me.

I thought what Staunton highlighted about the discrepancy between the lived experiences of front line workers, and the dodgy dealings and the lack of probity when it comes to the handling of coronavirus was spot on. 

I think that many people have died unnecessarily is tragic. Why would anyone want to distract from that?