Coronavirus - Part Two.

Guest makapaka
13 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

How many are being tested in India in terms of percentage of the population? 

How targeted is the testing?

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

How targeted is the testing?

Could just be those who are turning up at hospital. I don't know.

Guest sibon
46 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Could just be those who are turning up at hospital. I don't know.

This is probably not the most reliable of sources, but I’m watching quite a lot of the IPL at the moment. There is a huge push for the hands, face, space message on commentary and on screen.  There is no mention of getting tested.

Covid will always be with us and it will change over time as virus do. I had the virus in March 2020 just before the first lockdown was quite unwell with it. I do think vaccines will always be needed also research and testing will be needed well into the future we have accept the ' new reality ' and adjust the way we live. We need to start looking after our world not take it for granted and stop stripping the natural world to feed our endless consumer hunger keep doing that nature will hit back even harder the choice is in our hands 

On 18/04/2021 at 14:04, tinfoilhat said:

Is the "india" with 230k + new cases a day? The "india" that isn't on the red list so they can fly in without staying a quarantine hotel? The same "india" Boris is travelling to in The coming days to rush through a trade deal?

Yes. Yes it is that India. If this gets hold of the country and god forbid works round vaccines I'd happily see him and his cabinet jailed.

Hes not going now .

Pity - if he'd gone we'd have been able to insist on him being in isolation for weeks when he came back!

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Hes not going now .

Well he won't now I've posted here! SF, the first for political influence.

Reasons to be cheerful.

Pfizer CEO anticipates a need for re-vaccinations

As concerns over coronavirus variants rise, drugmakers and the US government are preparing for the possibility that a third shot might be necessary nine to 12 months after the initial vaccination. Albert Bourla, CEO of Pfizer, said it is “likely” that individuals will need a booster and possibly a re-vaccination every year thereafter, much like the flu vaccine. David Kessler, the chief science officer of the Biden administration’s Covid response, also noted that additional shots might be necessary in a congressional committee meeting this week. So far, data has shown that the Pfizer vaccine is effective against the South African variant, B.1.351, for at least six months. Moderna hopes to have booster shots for its two-dose vaccine available by the fall.

Variants fuel new coronavirus surges, but experts remain optimistic about vaccines

The three most notable Covid-19 variants—which were first recorded in Brazil, the UK, and South Africa—have been spreading to other countries. The B.1.1.7 strain, for example, is now the primary source of new infections in the United States. However, scientists remain optimistic that public health measures such as social distancing and wearing a mask can continue to combat these new variants. After a deadly surge in the UK, cases of B.1.1.7 have now slowed dramatically thanks to a strict lockdown and vaccinations.

All of the major vaccines in use have shown to be effective against Covid-19 variants. “Breakthrough infections”—where someone who is vaccinated still gets sick—are possible but very rare.

Guest makapaka

First briefing in a while - after a couple of weeks of constant media updates on “variants”

I’m expecting the gradual warm up to restriction loosening being delayed “based on the science” to start around now........

On 18/04/2021 at 16:04, tinfoilhat said:

Is the "india" with 230k + new cases a day? The "india" that isn't on the red list so they can fly in without staying a quarantine hotel? The same "india" Boris is travelling to in The coming days to rush through a trade deal?

Yes. Yes it is that India. If this gets hold of the country and god forbid works round vaccines I'd happily see him and his cabinet jailed.

On 18/04/2021 at 16:19, Baron99 said:

Heaven forbid.  You're not suggesting that there's some sort of link with India not being on the 'Red list' & the PM's impending visit to India are you?  😀.  Hmmmm? 

Also read yesterday that infection numbers appear to be increasing in Canada as well.  I think that 'Red list' does need to be revisited. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/worktime/world-us-canada-56779428

Apparently, the increase in infection in Canada is down to the UK variant in the Ontario area. 

Yes, I also read about the growth of diseases in Canada. And also in Europe (Ukraine, Poland), and in Ukraine now there are cases of illness after vaccination, and even deaths after vaccination with the Indian vaccine. A full lockdown has been introduced there since April, and it has been extended until the end of June already.

Makapaka

Corona viruses spew out variants continuously-never ending.

First briefing in a while - after a couple of weeks of constant media updates on “variants”

I’m expecting the gradual warm up to restriction loosening being delayed “based on the science” to start around now........  

I think you are right.

I was really looking forward to an unrestricted summer.

But we cannot go one with restrictions indefinitely.

How are we going to extricate ourselves from this dilemma ?

Edited by petemcewan

1 hour ago, petemcewan said:

Makapaka

Corona viruses spew out variants continuously-never ending.

I think you are right.

I was really looking forward to an unrestricted summer.

But we cannot go one with restrictions indefinitely.

How are we going to extricate ourselves form this dilemma ?

Front of the Telegraph (behind a paywall) is an article claiming only 32 people have been hospitalised with covid following the vaccination programme. I don't know whether they have had one jab or two.

Hopeful?