Coronavirus - Part Two.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

OK - I'll put it another way. 

We are just coming out of another lockdown and things are looking much better.  I think people should not go on foreign holidays and even if they did they should be prepared for either quarantining when they return or at least decent Covid tests (as has been proposed) when they land back in the UK. 

The press and the travel industry on the other hand want the cheapest tests available (LFTs), and they seem not to be very reliable - thus risking more and more exotic strains of Covid being brought into the country.

We’re the best exporter of “exotic” Covid strains.

shouldn’t you be more worried about people leaving and going abroad and not coming back?

Edited by makapaka

The UK has now slid down to 10th place in Europe for deaths per million (where countries have more than 1 million citizens). If death rates stay as they are, Italy will eclipse the UK for total deaths in a few weeks unless they can get a handle on the situation very quickly.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Guest sibon
10 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

The UK has now slid down to 10th place in Europe for deaths per million (where countries have more than 1 million citizens). If death rates stay as they are, Italy will eclipse the UK for total deaths in a few weeks unless they can get a handle on the situation very quickly.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Not so long ago we were first in that league. It will require vigilance to ensure that we don’t let the virus get out of control again.

This article has interesting perspective on the situation throughout Europe:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/04/09/world/europe/europe-coronavirus-variants.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

10 hours ago, makapaka said:

We’re the best exporter of “exotic” Covid strains.

shouldn’t you be more worried about people leaving and going abroad and not coming back?

We are not the "best exporter".
We are the best, by far, at spotting and identifying new variants.

On 11/04/2021 at 12:23, enntee said:

We are not the "best exporter".
We are the best, by far, at spotting and identifying new variants.

80% of new infections in France are the "Kent" variant.

2 hours ago, Longcol said:

80% of new infections in France are the "Kent" variant.

Its called the Kent variant because it was discovered in Kent and not because it originated in Kent.

7 hours ago, apelike said:

Its called the Kent variant because it was discovered in Kent and not because it originated in Kent.

Not because it hates foreigners? 😉

Just a reminder to everyone that the virus is still out there ...............

One of my grandsons started back at school on Monday this week after the Easter holidays. He lasted one day at school before being sent home to isolate because somebody in his class tested positive.

Please don't become complacent.

Does anyone think that they could have had Covid 19 just before it was officially discovered ?

Edited by hackey lad

29 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Does anyone think that they could have had Covid 19 just before it was officially discovered ?

On the thread before this (which I think got mangled) there were a few people who claimed having symptoms similar to Covid at the back end of 2019 although I can't recall any of them making a convincing case for covid.

Not making a case that I had it but about end of October 2019  for 10 to 12 weeks I was very ill . Doctors even tested for Glandular fever though they thought I was a little old for that . I know a lass who was tested for Covid in 2020 due to her work (NHS)  and was told she had had Covid  before . She said the last time she was ill was  Nov/  Dec 2019 , with similar symptoms to me . I did not have Glandular fever and never got a diagnosis .

Edited by hackey lad

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, francypants said:

Just a reminder to everyone that the virus is still out there ...............

One of my grandsons started back at school on Monday this week after the Easter holidays. He lasted one day at school before being sent home to isolate because somebody in his class tested positive.

Please don't become complacent.

I don’t think we need reminding.

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Everyone was saying this last year weren’t they?

“I had a cough and a temperature in November I think it was Covid”