Coronavirus - Part Two.

3 hours ago, butlers said:

As we have one of the lowest number if beds per 1000 in Europe they had to create more capacity.

You of course want this both ways ,if they had not created capacity to deal with a new unknown disease you would have slammed them for not acting.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

They clearly didn't need to create more capacity, otherwise the hospitals wouldn't have stood empty for a year before being closed down without a bed being ruffled. We pay governments to use foresight, not hindsight. But this lot have neither.

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Billions ?  Anyway, I would have thought that it was a good thing that they never had to be used 

It WOULD have been a good thing, were it not for the fact that they spent £billions of OUR money on a pointless exercise.

The set up cost for the nightingale hospitals was £220 million.

Total costs of building staffing and decommissioning thru to 21/22 is put at £500 million.

The Gov. was spooked by Italy ,were they did run out of beds you must remember the ITV report out of northern Italy.

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Don't have any jab then.  I don't really think the rest of us are that bothered.  Of course, even though I might be fully vaccinated in a month or so, I could still catch Covid but the chances of me getting seriously ill are greatly diminished but you could still find yourself stood next to me in a shop, so it's you that's at risk. 

Feel free to purchase one of the fake Covid certificates that you'll eventually need from the dark web, (while handing over all your details to the mysterious bods at the other end of the keyboard & your cash.  You might get lucky & get a certificate, then again, you might see your bank account emptied before your eyes?), in order to function in the UK come about August. 

Remember, a fake Covid certificate or one of those 'I'm exempt from wearing a face mask' fake lanyards bought off the internet, don't offer the same protection as a jab. 

Think on! 

It seems to me you are relishing the prospect of us all having to show our Covid passports when we enter the pub, just so that we can all take revenge on the people who - probably for very good reasons - have declined to take the jab.  Covid passports are, for a variety of reasons, the worst, most reckless and foolhardy idea ever to have seen light of day. When you realize that it's the impulsive buffoon Michael Gove who wants to introduce these, you begin to get an idea of the scale of the rank stupidity that underpins the proposition. Covid passports will never happen or, if they do, you'll know for certain that the lunatics really have taken over the asylum.

2 minutes ago, butlers said:

The set up cost for the nightingale hospitals was £220 million.

Total costs of building staffing and decommissioning thru to 21/22 is put at £500 million.

The Gov. was spooked by Italy ,were they did run out of beds you must remember the ITV report out of northern Italy.

So it wouldn't be anything to do with senseless government ministers being gulled into believing the baloney put about by Professor Legover of Imperial College promising 500,000 deaths then?

Neil Ferguson s group at Imperial probably had it about correct.

It was in line with the 3 other models by independent groups

6 minutes ago, butlers said:

I'm sure he had it "about correct" in his own mind.

19 minutes ago, butlers said:

In  2001 Ferguson predicted that up to 150,000 people would die as a result of foot-and-mouth disease: there were fewer than 200 deaths. In 2002, he predicted that up to 50,000 people would die from mad cow disease. There were 177 deaths. In 2005, he predicted that up to 150 million people could be killed from bird flu. In the end, 282 people died worldwide. In 2009, a government estimate based on Ferguson’s advice said a “reasonable worst-case scenario” was that the swine flu would lead to 65,000 British deaths. In the end, swine flu killed 457 people in the U.K. Last March, Ferguson admitted that his Imperial College model of the COVID-19 disease was based on undocumented, 13-year-old computer code that was intended to be used for a feared influenza pandemic, rather than a coronavirus. Ferguson declined to release his original code so other scientists could check his results. He only released a heavily revised set of code after a six-week delay.

The man is a fraud. Why would anyone ever listen to this guy (unless, of course, they were half-witted members of the British government)?

Baron,

Nuance is difficult to comprehend sometimes isn't it. Amusing fantasy pigeonholing, you left out Gates, chips, and foil though.

Won't be needing a lanyard or a certificate .. for what it's worth, on aerosol spread and surgical masks in public buildings, I was ahead of the WHO, NHS, and the Westminster buffoons by months, there were posts on it a year ago, long since vanished into an overnight mod dustbin.

As we are on the cusp of potentially becoming profiled, tracked and identified in every street, every establishment we care to visit, that is far more worrying prospect than a future dodging something with a <3% hit rate. People who blindly follow "The Man", are idiots. Once your face is tracked, freedom is dead forever.

Thanks for your service.  I'll have a jab at some point, when you lot have tested it properly, not before. I'm perfectly capable of managing the risk in the meantime.

Edited by fools

Interesting you only quote the max worse case outcomes rather than the range of outcomes for new unknown diseases, where there is no hard evidence to work from.

Again the 4 different groups who updated outcomes in Oct 2020 all came to not dissimilar outcomes.

Yosemite Sam.

"Why did anyone ever listen to this guy ". Good points made about Ferguson. Your source is shown below.

https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2020/05/08/so-the-real-scandal-is-why-did-anyone-ever-listen-to-this-guy/

As etiquette ,what you wrote should be in between

inverted commas.Then I'll know it's a quote.

Edited by petemcewan

8 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Don't have any jab then.  I don't really think the rest of us are that bothered.  Of course, even though I might be fully vaccinated in a month or so, I could still catch Covid but the chances of me getting seriously ill are greatly diminished but you could still find yourself stood next to me in a shop, so it's you that's at risk. 

Feel free to purchase one of the fake Covid certificates that you'll eventually need from the dark web, (while handing over all your details to the mysterious bods at the other end of the keyboard & your cash.  You might get lucky & get a certificate, then again, you might see your bank account emptied before your eyes?), in order to function in the UK come about August. 

Remember, a fake Covid certificate or one of those 'I'm exempt from wearing a face mask' fake lanyards bought off the internet, don't offer the same protection as a jab. 

Think on! 

If a significant number of people are not vaccinated that does potentially affect others that are vaccinated as it increases the risk of vaccine resistant variants. 

7 hours ago, fools said:

Baron,

Nuance is difficult to comprehend sometimes isn't it. Amusing fantasy pigeonholing, you left out Gates, chips, and foil though.

Won't be needing a lanyard or a certificate .. for what it's worth, on aerosol spread and surgical masks in public buildings, I was ahead of the WHO, NHS, and the Westminster buffoons by months, there were posts on it a year ago, long since vanished into an overnight mod dustbin.

As we are on the cusp of potentially becoming profiled, tracked and identified in every street, every establishment we care to visit, that is far more worrying prospect than a future dodging something with a <3% hit rate. People who blindly follow "The Man", are idiots. Once your face is tracked, freedom is dead forever.

Thanks for your service.  I'll have a jab at some point, when you lot have tested it properly, not before. I'm perfectly capable of managing the risk in the meantime.

My bold. 

Of course you were. 

Of course you will. 

So at some stage, you'll join us 'idiots' then by blindly following 'The Man'?  Thought that term died out in he 1960's along with 'Fry's 5 Centre' chocolate bars?

Pathetic but I suppose this is the level to which we have to sink to, to counter those who get their information from dodgy news feeds & echo chambers. However the ramblings of the misinformed always amuse me, they confirm how far up I've managed to climb life's intelligence ladder.  Thanks! It's early on a Thursday & already you've made me feel great about myself. 

The internet has a lot to answer for, doesn't it? 

Edited by Baron99