Coronavirus - Part Two.

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

I agree entirely. Well said.

9 hours ago, Padders said:

Me too Anna, brilliant post.

Well, you both would, wouldn't you?

I still don't, BTW.

You cannot awaken anyone who only pretends to be asleep.

21 hours ago, Staunton said:

The UK vaccine project is instructive since its success featured the reverse of neoliberal doctrine - up-front public investment, public research in the university laboratory, and 'at cost' delivery (i.e. no immediate profit to the manufacturer). And it's roll-out is being successfully handled by the NHS and it's taxpayer funded, established, public, institutional structure. These social-democratic principles are what facilitated the astrazenica/Oxford achievements, and the very success of the project gives an ideal example of how sensible economic policy can contribute to democratic society rather than exhaust it and drive the world to ruin.

Me bold. Don't kid yourself that the vaccination program has been successful because of social-democratic principles. All of the above is funded from capitalism gained from that very neoliberal doctrine people seem to now complain about and would not have happened without it. The idea now is to get as many people vaccinated as quick as possible so it allows people back to work again, That brings in taxes and allows capitalism to thrive once again to pay for all this mess covid has caused.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-the-multi-billion-pound-business-of-the-oxford-vaccine-12134833

2 hours ago, Staunton said:

You cannot awaken anyone who only pretends to be asleep.

As Einstein said:

"The only thing more dangerous than ignorance is arrogance."

And under no circumstances do they want us to wake up.

2 hours ago, apelike said:

Me bold. Don't kid yourself that the vaccination program has been successful because of social-democratic principles. All of the above is funded from capitalism gained from that very neoliberal doctrine people seem to now complain about and would not have happened without it. The idea now is to get as many people vaccinated as quick as possible so it allows people back to work again, That brings in taxes and allows capitalism to thrive once again to pay for all this mess covid has caused.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-the-multi-billion-pound-business-of-the-oxford-vaccine-12134833

As Einstein said:

"The only thing more dangerous than ignorance is arrogance."

I don't think the post is arrogant at all. Quite profound IMO

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

I don't think the post is arrogant at all. Quite profound IMO

But taken out of context by you as it was a reply to post #4630 and this:

"You cannot awaken anyone who only pretends to be asleep."

The WHO announced on Thursday (last) that vaccination in Europe was not happening quickly enough to slow down transmission.
New infections have risen for three straight weeks.

And more people were dying from Cov-19 than a year ago.

What on earth is going on ?

14 hours ago, apelike said:

Me bold. Don't kid yourself that the vaccination program has been successful because of social-democratic principles. All of the above is funded from capitalism gained from that very neoliberal doctrine people seem to now complain about and would not have happened without it.

You paid a private company for your vaccine? I got mine free through the NHS, it was really well organised.

4 hours ago, Delbow said:

You paid a private company for your vaccine? I got mine free through the NHS, it was really well organised.

Me bold. And just where did I state that? I also got mine free which was administered by the NHS as well.

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

It's good to see that Ireland are going to benefit from the successful  UK vaccine program by an offer of 3.7 million spare UK doses.

No such offer has been made and the UK government's position is that we aren't going to have any spare vaccines for some time. The UK government aren't going to be offering vaccines to anyone else until the whole of the adult UK population[1] have had their first doses at the very least. That's not predicted to happen before the end of July and it will be 12 weeks after that before everyone has had their second dose. That's longer away than we've been vaccinating people, who knows what the vaccine supply situation will be in the EU by then?

That Raab, Gove and Lewis have floated the idea now to get themselves in the papers in an attempt to embarrass the EU doesn't mean very much.

[1] Vaccine refuseniks aside.

On 26/03/2021 at 19:51, RJRB said:

Pick the “facts” as it suits,and also feel free to chose which ball you wish to play from the ensuing comments.

I have no idea what the various uptake is or will be when vaccine is available around the EU countries,but thus far in the U.K. the uptake is over 93% for 75 plus age group which seems pretty good to me.

I hope that there will be no delays in receiving the second jab by the due dates.

I have great sympathy for  those having to play catch up as a result of a more guarded initial approach by their medical advisers and political leaders,and I hope for more cooperation and less point scoring.

<sigh> x2

Well, the facts were (still are) plenty clear enough, however unpalatable some clearly find them to be. You don't need to "quote-mark" them.

The ball in play was (still is) the mooted export controls by the EU and India (in recent news and discussed in posts prior to mine), since the narrative in your MSM was (still is) rather light on context.

The intention was to inform that sub-debate with information providing that context (noting that the lack of exports was not UK-exclusive, the US is clearly worse in that respect given its production volume), and mitigating the shrill anti-EU narrative/divide-and-conquer crap, which the UK government is constantly pushing hard (like it did again today, with offering Dublin those non-existent 3.7m vaccine doses).

But you know what, what few regular posters still lurk on SF's General Topics instead of Facebook just see 'L00b', and automatically get the red mist no matter what these days: I could post that the sky is blue, and still they'd find something objectionable in that 😂

I echo the balance of your sentiments, and best of luck to you with the current and coming times, RJRB. You've been a gent 🙂

3 hours ago, apelike said:

Me bold. And just where did I state that? I also got mine free which was administered by the NHS as well.

Of course you got yours from the NHS, everyone has. That's my point - I was struggling to think of anything more social democratic than a publicly funded health service free at the point of use, which I think was Staunton's point.