Coronavirus - Part Two.

Can we even believe Government figures when they are heavily promoting the vaccines?  If you think so,

"Over the period 13 January to 7 February 2021:

·        around 9 in 10 (91%) adults reported positive sentiment towards the vaccine, while 9% of adults reported vaccine hesitancy

·        around 1 in 6 (17%) adults aged 16 to 29 years reported vaccine hesitancy; this was the highest of all age groups"

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandwellbeing/bulletins/coronavirusandvaccinehesitancygreatbritain/13januaryto7february2021

Our government?  (No capital "g").

Our NHS? (capitalised).

LIONS led by donkeys.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Can't see the logic these people are employing (or not), but then, there's nowt as queer as folk, I suppose.

@apelike - can we trust the media to tell the truth, though?

Has anybody tried asking them?

Nothing has appeared in the news to explain it, so I suspect they gave answers someone didn't like.

As for trusting the media, do you really need to ask?

There is no doubt the figures and statistics are manipulated to support a particular point of view/outcome. You only have to look at how the information has changed all through the pandemic. 

'Should we wear masks?' - No not necessary, in fact they do more harm than good....   

Yes everyone should wear masks and you could be arrested for not wearing one, etc....

Even the way statistics are measured has changed throughout the pandemic, giving a false perepective.

That's why the government isn't trusted and you get protests and riots.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

I'm curious as to why they won't be vaccinated. What's the problem?

From personal experience of care home staff, most tend to be quite young females. I saw one girl interviewed yesterday saying that she's hoping to start a family soon and she's as yet not convinced the potential effects on fertility & pregnancy have been thoroughly evaluated.

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Has anybody tried asking them?

Nothing has appeared in the news to explain it, so I suspect they gave answers someone didn't like.

As for trusting the media, do you really need to ask?

There is no doubt the figures and statistics are manipulated to support a particular point of view/outcome. You only have to look at how the information has changed all through the pandemic. 

'Should we wear masks?' - No not necessary, in fact they do more harm than good....   

Yes everyone should wear masks and you could be arrested for not wearing one, etc....

Even the way statistics are measured has changed throughout the pandemic, giving a false perepective.

That's why the government isn't trusted and you get protests and riots.

Trust in the government went down after the Dominic Cummings lockdown trip.  I think that  was the turning point and ever since the country has been divided over covid and the covid deniers and conspiracies started growing. Then the premature unlocking made things worse and more trust was lost. The government ought to be looking at countries that have been successful in driving covid right down and not constantly saying that the UK is different and it won’t work for x and y reasons.

I think that if cases start growing again - and modelling suggests there will be another wave - a big driver will be working people in low paid, insecure employment. If it will be difficult financially for them to self isolate/take time off when ill many will  simply carry on going in to work.  I don’t know how easy it is to arrange a vaccine appointment around full time work but apparently many employers won’t allow time off for it or to recover from any after effects. Whether you agree with that or not, it won’t help the take up of the vaccine in some younger people, particularly those in insecure, low paid work. 

On the first anniversary of Britain's lockdown Johnson joked to Tory MPs that "Greed and capitalism are behind UK's vaccine success"

Covid: 'greed' and 'capitalism' behind vaccine success, Johnson tells MPs | Boris Johnson | The Guardian

Though when his comments were leaked, he said he 'regretted' making the comment. Why the coyness? The UK having one of the worst death rates for COVID19 at over 130,000, and his complete failure of leadership and decision making is just hilarious.

I'm sure internet trolls will be lapping up his comments on the basis that it annoys the other other lot.

Well done Boris

On 21/03/2021 at 17:27, andyofborg said:

Cheers Andy I used to work at Kendray Hospital in the middle of the estate.

On 21/03/2021 at 20:42, BigPP said:

Here you are Ridgewalk

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

Just pop your postcode in the box.

Thanks Big.

On 21/03/2021 at 22:18, Longcol said:

Barnsley cases (and rest of S Yorks) are still well below the numbers experienced in December / January.

Ok

I see we are now being threatened with £5,000 fines if we dare to holiday abroad this summer.

I can see the reasoning behind people not going to a country still rife with covid and with a poor vaccination rate, but let's see what excuses the rich and famous come up with to get round it, alla Dominic Cummings, and a £5,000 fine will mean nothing to them. It should be proportionate.

Covid doesn't recognise celebrity status or the great and the good, even if they do think the air they breathe is specially rarefied. If the hoi polloi are not allowed to fly for obvious reasons, the same rules should apply to everyone, otherwise they are a nonsense.

Let's see if we really are 'all in this together.' 

Edited by Anna B

38 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I see we are now being threatened with £5,000 fines if we dare to holiday abroad this summer.

I can see the reasoning behind people not going to a country still rife with covid and with a poor vaccination rate, but let's see what excuses the rich and famous come up with to get round it, alla Dominic Cummings, and a £5,000 fine will mean nothing to them. It should be proportionate.

Covid doesn't recognise celebrity status or the great and the good, even if they do think the air they breathe is specially rarefied. If the hoi polloi are not allowed to fly for obvious reasons, the same rules should apply to everyone, otherwise they are a nonsense.

Let's see if we really are 'all in this together.' 

How many rich and famous were in those pubs in Sheffield that got raided during the first lockdown?  

Your post reads like inverted snobbery.  People who chose to ignore the rules are not limited by social class or bank balance.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

10 hours ago, West 77 said:

Exactly correct. The £10,000 fine for organisers of big gatherings hasn't been a deterrent to some of the less wealthy

I wonder how many of these £10,000 fines have been handed out and collected from the "less wealthy".

I also wonder if, as in previous lockdowns, footballers are then found to have ignored orders and been found in parties.  £10,000 deterrents for those earning £200,000 a week?

£5,000 for going abroad?

Edited by Thirsty Relic

On 24/03/2021 at 09:58, West 77 said:

According to Laura Kuenssberg the  joking comments were aimed at the Tory chief whip who was gobbling down food at the time.  Do you think Boris should refrain from using humour?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56504546

We will never know if less covid 19 related deaths would have happened under an alternative Government. We will never know if an alternative Government would have been as successful in rolling out a vaccine program that is saving thousands of lives.  What we do know is more lives would have been saved if society collectively had followed the covid 19 related guidelines , rules and laws  introduced during the last twelve months.

Johnson can please himself. He finds humour in most situations, "Operation Last Gasp" was his 'light hearted' gag at the UK's attempts to het more ventilators. No he can take the **** all he likes; I'm sure the people who have died from the disease would be ******* themselves laughing at his 'jokes', had they not died.

Meanwhile the Mail yesterday tries to con people that Johnson can be taken seriously when he said that his experience of being the PM while the disease was ravaging the population would 'Haunt me for as long as I live'

Mail240321.png

Well he can always cheer himself up with one of his amusing asides.

On your other point about not knowing if more people would've died had other decision been made. Professor Neil Fergusson disagrees with you. Prof Fergusson told a committee of MPs 

"Had we introduced lockdown measures a week earlier, we would have reduced the final death toll by at least a half."

Edited by Mister M