Coronavirus - Part Two.

Anybody know what the 6 months worth of measures are going to be?

I think it’s telling that the latest Shielding email I received informs me that shielding ends on 31st March but still advises me to carry on with the same precautions and extends priority access to supermarket delivery. In fact the only difference seems to be the withdrawal of SSP with the advisory to discuss specific precautionary actions with your employer if you can’t work from home 

7 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Vaccinated people can still spread the virus.

Sadly, there are many people out there who believe they are somehow immune to catching or spreading Covid once they've had their jabs.  As I understand it, nobody is claiming that any vaccine totally stops infection, only that it is likely to mitigate bad outcomes from it.  Similarly with passing it on.

(a vaccinated person) "is less likely to transmit it to someone else".

"since the vaccines don't provide 100% protection from infection, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that people continue to wear masks and social distance even after they've been vaccinated".

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-03-vaccinated-people-coronavirus.html

Absolutely and I wasn’t suggesting otherwise.  There is now evidence that vaccine help reduce transmission though.  So the places covid can spread most easily are unvaccinated groups (most people under 50) and indoors (that will be workplaces and school for some). 

The effectiveness of vaccines has actually exceeded the expectations of scientists but other measures need to stay in place until most people are fully vaccinated. Not many in the UK have had their two vaccines yet.

Source: Renegade Ink. RT.

Interviewee. Andra Taylor (might be wrong spelling).Assiatant Director-at some place.

Context: Vaccine nationalism.

"pausing vaccination programmes so that the rest of the world can catch up".

I would appreciate it if any of you clever people on this thread,could  explain to me what she is on about.

EU may hold back on millions of vaccines to the UK.

Such action would definitely pause the UK programme. The centralised  procurement programme in  Europe has failed.

France has gone crackers with respect to Astrazenca.

Changing the rules on a daily basis. You couldn't script this nonsense.

Edited by petemcewan

17 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Interesting though that the CEO of AZ is French (Pascal Soriot)

Victor,

That is interesting. I wonder why  Pascal cannot disabuse the authorities of their reluctance to give the vaccine to under 50s.

10 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Source: Renegade Ink. RT.

Interviewee. Andra Taylor (might be wrong spelling).Assiatant Director-at some place.

Context: Vaccine nationalism.

"pausing vaccination programmes so that the rest of the world can catch up".

I would appreciate it if any of you clever people on this thread,could  explain to me what she is on about.

EU may hold back on millions of vaccines to the UK.

Such action would definitely pause the UK programme. The centralised  procurement programme in  Europe has failed.

There are several issues.

The quality of the Russian vaccines is covered by British Medical Journey March 18th:Covid-19: What do we know about Sputnik V and other Russian vaccines?

Putin has lost some of his popularity in recent times and is very keen to associate himself at home and globally(through his mouth piece-RT) with the Russian vaccine being freely available at home and abroad.

Andrea Taylor is an Assistant Director  Duke Global Health Innovation Center and has been published widely published eg  Vaccinationalism will prolong pandemic (November)

In Europe, individual countries and organizations are replying to criticism that they did not act quickly enough. BBC on  Covid vaccines today : EU tussle with UK over AstraZeneca escalates

Latest from the Washington Post:

Two doses of AstraZeneca’s vaccine were 79 percent effective at preventing the symptoms of covid-19. That's according to newly released clinical trial results, which enrolled more than 32,000 people — many of whom lived in the United States. The AstraZeneca vaccine protected 100 percent against severe illness. 

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Annie Bynnol

Thank you for all those valuable links.

It's hard not to view RT as a propaganda platform and not really a news outlet.

I read the A.Taylor article. Most of it IMO is rhetoric but the following has the most value.

High-income countries should also work with Covax, as a global coordinator, to ensure that, once their populations are covered, excess doses are redeployed where they are needed most around the world.

20 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Just an observation from looking at recent media, wherein the argument seems to be that:

- The UK's acquisition, by means unclear, of additional vaccine flow compared to the EU was perfectly legitimate, and the EU should suck it up.

- The EU, using its own legal powers to control the flow of vaccines, is illegitimate and constitutes a metaphorical act of war against the UK.

Various theories have been advanced about why supply was tilted towards the UK, including a reference to an earlier (May) contract, but nothing incontrovertible.

The whole argument stoking vaccine nationalism is pathetically ill-informed and polarising, whoever pushes it, and whether in Western Europe or further east.

Always ask yourself: who profits from this? There’s no need of ‘being clever’ at all, to answer that. Just take a step back and think for yourself 🙂

Edited by L00b

So our esteemed Secretary of State for Health and Social Care opines that all staff in nursing homes have a "duty of care" to ensure they are vaccinated.

Where was his "duty of care" in the PPE fiasco last year?  Hidden behind the lie, "We've placed a protective ring around care homes."

Like hell they did.

Edited by steved32
Typo