Coronavirus - Part Two.

What a mess the EU has made of it’s roll out in vacations against COVID-19. Now Ursula  von der Leyen is threatening other Nations to cover their mistakes up.

19 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

What a mess the EU has made of it’s roll out in vacations against COVID-19. Now Ursula  von der Leyen is threatening other Nations to cover their mistakes up.

Agreed so glad we voted for Brexit.

According to the FT, the “crisis” is about the EU threatening to block exports of vaccine to the UK and the US, after the EU sent 9m vaccines to the UK and 4m to the US, and got none back from either country, in breach of cross-supply agreements.

The EU paid into the pot for AZ’s  2 UK production sites, lest we forget, on the basis that it would get a share of the output (same as UK paid into the pot for AZ’s Belgian production site on the basis of getting a share of that output...which it has got).

Hard to not see the point of VdL’s message. Unless one doesn’t want to see it, of course.

All the same, never mind. It will get tallied up in the end 😏

Edited by L00b

7 minutes ago, L00b said:

According to the FT, the “crisis” is about the EU threatening to block exports of vaccine to the UK and the US, after the EU sent 9m vaccines to the UK and 4m to the US, and got none back from either country, in breach of cross-supply agreements.

The EU paid into the pot for AZ’s  2 UK production sites, lest we forget, on the basis that it would get a share of the output (same as UK paid into the pot for AZ’s Belgian production site on the basis of getting a share of that output...which it has got).

Hard to not see the point of VdL’s message. Unless one doesn’t want to see it, of course.

All the same, never mind. It will get tallied up in the end 😏

But theyre literally chucking loads of AZ vaccines in the bin in parts of Europe (Germany definately). Also saw a report of a big vaccination centre in Belgium offering AZ and there's nobody there. Given the "scare" with the "blood clots" they'll be throwing away even more.

According to the latest from the BBC it seems that VDL may use article 122 of the EU treaty... 

Quote from BBC:

"One possibility being discussed is to use Article 122 of the EU treaty, which allows measures to be taken "if severe difficulties arise in the supply of certain products". Those measures could in theory include export bans and the waiving of patent and intellectual property rights on vaccines."

The latter bit I find very disturbing.

4 minutes ago, apelike said:

According to the latest from the BBC it seems that VDL may use article 122 of the EU treaty... 

Quote from BBC:

"One possibility being discussed is to use Article 122 of the EU treaty, which allows measures to be taken "if severe difficulties arise in the supply of certain products". Those measures could in theory include export bans and the waiving of patent and intellectual property rights on vaccines."

The latter bit I find very disturbing.

But they don't want what we are using. "Worries about blood clots" "quasi-effective" - theyve put their citizens off using it. 

28 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

But theyre literally chucking loads of AZ vaccines in the bin in parts of Europe (Germany definately). Also saw a report of a big vaccination centre in Belgium offering AZ and there's nobody there. Given the "scare" with the "blood clots" they'll be throwing away even more.

That's terrible. Meanwhile, African countries have nowhere near enough vaccines and are having to pay twice as much as some European countries. And it's not as if Belgium doesn't owe Congolese big time for destroying their country and killing millions of them

Yep, the politicians - i.e. 'those that know best' 🤬 have got a new toy to play with - peoples lives. How low can you go?

10 minutes ago, Delbow said:

That's terrible. Meanwhile, African countries have nowhere near enough vaccines and are having to pay twice as much as some European countries. And it's not as if Belgium doesn't owe Congolese big time for destroying their country and killing millions of them

I saw a video on the bbc if memory serves. It wasn't a GPs surgery it was huge - arena huge. Maybe there was a big queue outside, maybe the cameras were there before the rush. 

Here we are. BBC News - Covid-19: Why some countries paused AstraZeneca vaccines
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56414674

3 mins 45 showing a big vaccination centre not giving many vaccines.

59 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I don’t know about “chucking”, and would be wary of such reports unless they are supported by clear evidence, as there is a lot of political gaslighting over this everywhere (in Europe as much as in the UK).

Reportedly, the EU has exported 31m doses to 2nd and 3rd world countries so far (same FT article of today, that I mentioned above / paywalls).

On the topic of IP, there is nothing the EU can or will do. Whatsoever.Compulsory licensing of patented technology by the state in the public interest is (1) strictly a national competence, under national patent law (and there is no EU patent law whatsoever) and (2) about as old as patent legislation itself, as in ‘decades and longer’. If someone can be bothered to check/search, I may well have raised this very issue months ago.

Hey, someone point me to that vaccination center in Belgium. It’s literally next door (border’s 3 miles away) and I’ll have that AZ vaccine in a flash.

Edited by L00b

So we can take it from that these 'experts' would rather see thousands die from coronavirus than a very small percentage develop possible complications?

I  did work out the figures very roughly this morning, based on the reported complications vs number of injections, and it was so small it is insignificant - and as both WHO and the EMA have stated - does not support this action, at all.

11 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I saw a video on the bbc if memory serves. It wasn't a GPs surgery it was huge - arena huge. Maybe there was a big queue outside, maybe the cameras were there before the rush. 

Here we are. BBC News - Covid-19: Why some countries paused AstraZeneca vaccines
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56414674

3 mins 45 showing a big vaccination centre not giving many vaccines.

7 minutes ago, L00b said:

Hey, someone point me to that vaccination center in Belgium. It’s literally next door (border’s 3 miles away) and I’ll have that AZ vaccine in a flash.

Sorry, @L00b - no cross-border travel allowed.

10 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Sorry, @L00b - no cross-border travel allowed.

It is allowed within 18 miles of the border, provided there’s no overnight stay,

Mrs L00b commutes to work in nearby Belgium every day. Our accountant comes into the office in Lux from Belgium every day too.

So if it’s not in Brussels or the Flemish part in the north, we might be in business 😉

Edited by L00b