Coronavirus - Part Two.

11 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Wheeling out this old comparison again. Do you think today's youngsters and young adults should be eternally grateful for not being press ganged and shot dead in a foreign field  and therefore tolerate without dissent whatever is asked of them?

Just to be clear, I don't. I doubt many of those who did suffer that fate would want that either.

No, I don't expect anyone to be grateful for being spared that fate.

I do expect that people of all ages show more consideration for others and make more efforts to avoid spreading Covid.
I'm quite sure that all the doctors, nurses and ancillary staff in Intensive Care Units and all those people who have lost precious loved ones will agree with me.

As for those who want to be selfish and carry on spreading the virus, I don't care whether they agree with me or not.

We were told that vaccinating the elderly and those with impaired immune systems was the key to halting the great majority of the damage that this virus causes, and we've had lockdowns to "buy time" until such vaccines were available and distributed.  Thanks to the efforts of scientists and the HNS, those top 4 categories have been vaccinated.  Now we are in a position to come out of lockdown.

How we come out of lockdown and get on with life as near normal as possible is the question.  Deaths and hospitalisations have come down dramatically, and easing lockdown means they will increase slowly, but we can't stay in lockdown forever, as other posters have pointed out.

Personally, I think we are opening up education too early.  I fear another wave starting as kids mingle, then take the virus home with them to start transmission all over again.  I hope I'm wrong.

Boris thinks we can go till April without hairdressers, has he not looked in a mirror. 

The debate is looming.

A vaccine passport or proof of a negative test (lateral flow or rtPCR) to get in the pub. Oh my dear !

I'm really against the whole idea.There's already enough divisions in society without adding another one.

I can see it now.The doorman, " No trainers, no trackies,

proof of vaccination or negative test certificate or you don't get in.

And anyway, you're far too old to be out this late anyway".

Of course ,commercial enterprises like IProve just get orgasmic for it.And they are banging the drum for it very loudly.

IPhones ,Passwords,so complicated even AL   the computer couldn't hack it. Horrible selfies required. It does me head in. It's mad.It's all mad.

Edited by petemcewan

2 hours ago, petemcewan said:

The debate is looming.

A vaccine passport or proof of a negative test (lateral flow or rtPCR) to get in the pub. Oh my dear !

I'm really against the whole idea.There's already enough divisions in society without adding another one.

I can see it now.The doorman, " No trainers, no trackies,

proof of vaccination or negative test certificate or you don't get in.

And anyway, you're far too old to be out this late anyway".

Of course ,commercial enterprises like IProve just get orgasmic for it.And they are banging the drum for it very loudly.

IPhones ,Passwords,so complicated even AL   the computer couldn't hack it. Horrible selfies required. It does me head in. It's mad.It's all mad.

Totally agree, Pete!

I'll be back in pubs, coffee bars etc when I can simply walk in and be served.  I'm having nothing to do with "proof of" stuff.  Fortunately (!) I am and look old enough to be served.  I'll simply go to the pubs that decide not to use those measures.

All "passports", "certificates", "apps"etc will do is fuel the criminal element as fakes are already available for the certificates that are used abroad, as well documented in the press. 

"Proof of age" certificates are used for night-club access in the UK now, talk to any teenager and they know how many fakes are being used by their mates who are under age to get in. 

Sadly, the Government have already said they are looking into it.  There are plenty of companies wanting the contracts to produce these and are pressing for the green light - how many of those who don't get contracts will still produce them for the "underground" market?

2 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Totally agree, Pete!

I'll be back in pubs, coffee bars etc when I can simply walk in and be served.  I'm having nothing to do with "proof of" stuff.  Fortunately (!) I am and look old enough to be served.  I'll simply go to the pubs that decide not to use those measures.

All "passports", "certificates", "apps"etc will do is fuel the criminal element as fakes are already available for the certificates that are used abroad, as well documented in the press. 

"Proof of age" certificates are used for night-club access in the UK now, talk to any teenager and they know how many fakes are being used by their mates who are under age to get in. 

Sadly, the Government have already said they are looking into it.  There are plenty of companies wanting the contracts to produce these and are pressing for the green light - how many of those who don't get contracts will still produce them for the "underground" market?

I'm sure I could hazard a guess at which side of the political divide the contract winners will be on.

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

I'm sure I could hazard a guess at which side of the political divide the contract winners will be on.

There will be plenty of pub landlords who happen to know certain powerful people who will be buying new printers!

Just had my Oxford Covid jab down at Sheffield Arena.

Amazing organisation. VERY impressed by how efficient and smoothly it went. In and out in minutes. Marshals everywhere telling you where to go right from the car park onwards so easy to navigate. Everyone very pleasant, helpful and upbeat.

I didn't have to wait the 15 minutes afterwards because I wasn't driving . 

Just have to wait now for the second jab in May. Thankyou to all the many people involved, you were great!

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

Just had my Oxford Covid jab down at Sheffield Arena.

Amazing organisation. VERY impressed by how efficient and smoothly it went. In and out in minutes. Marshals everywhere telling you where to go right from the car park onwards so easy to navigate. Everyone very pleasant, helpful and upbeat.

I didn't have to wait the 15 minutes afterwards because I wasn't driving . 

Just have to wait now for the second jab in May. Thankyou to all the many people involved, you were great!

My bold.

Interesting.  That's not what I thought the 15 minute wait was for - I understood it was to monitor for any adverse reaction, because it's a new vaccine.

Everyone had to wait the 15 minutes at the hub I attended, and I would say most of them weren't driving immediately afterwards...

19 minutes ago, Becky B said:

My bold.

Interesting.  That's not what I thought the 15 minute wait was for - I understood it was to monitor for any adverse reaction, because it's a new vaccine.

Everyone had to wait the 15 minutes at the hub I attended, and I would say most of them weren't driving immediately afterwards...

Exactly as I understood it too - and AFAIK the reason given officially, although I'm not aware of a mass adverse reaction being reported. I had to wait the 15 minutes after mine at Jordanthorpe, which was good, as I'd just missed a bus and had 20 minutes to wait for the next. 🙂

I think the 15mins wait is only after Pfizer vaccine as it's a new type of vaccine. I had Oxford jab  and no wait.

1 hour ago, lindylou53 said:

I think the 15mins wait is only after Pfizer vaccine as it's a new type of vaccine. I had Oxford jab  and no wait.

I thought everyone had to wait for 15 minutes, and there were chairs laid out, some of which had people sitting on them, after their injection, so some are required to wait after Oxford jab. As I was asked if I was driving home I assumed that was the criteria they were using. I know when my Dad had his, everyone had to wait and it caused a terrific log jam. His injection procedure took well over an hour because of this. I assume they've reconsidered and found a way to speed it up.